PDA

View Full Version : Any difference from generic finasteride from propecia?

john2399
04-01-2013, 10:19 PM
Just switched from propecia to generic form and im kinda nervous if it will mess up my progress.

PatientlyWaiting
04-01-2013, 10:30 PM
Yes, the price is different.

john2399
04-01-2013, 10:39 PM
size of the pill is different too lol

PatientlyWaiting
04-01-2013, 11:28 PM
You mean the size of the generic 5mg pill vs the 1mg Propecia pill?

I never bought generic 1mg so I wouldn't know the size diff. But I do remember Propecia pills being really small.

SuperHairo
04-02-2013, 06:16 AM
I began using generic 1 mg finasteride around 2 months ago, after my drugstore began to carry it. The manufacturer's name was Dr. Reddy's Lab. I switched, thinking that I would finally be able to save money (around $25 a month). Around the 3rd month, I began to notice significant thinning again (which I hadn't seen in almost 10 years). Of course, I got scared and switched back to Propecia. I'm not sure if this was just a coincidence, but I'm not willing to take any chances, especially with my hair. My questions are, will what I lost grow back, and has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks

SuperHairo
04-02-2013, 06:47 AM
Correction - I began using generic 1 mg finasteride around "3" months ago....

ravegrover
04-03-2013, 01:44 AM
Generic Fin from either Cipla (brand name - Finpecia) or Dr Reddy Labs is legit and is same thing. Both are highly reputed pharma companies in India.

I switched to Finpecia several years ago and get same results.

john2399
04-03-2013, 02:50 PM
Generic Fin from either Cipla (brand name - Finpecia) or Dr Reddy Labs is legit and is same thing. Both are highly reputed pharma companies in India.

I switched to Finpecia several years ago and get same results.

I feel like i am seeing more hair come out since i switched but maybe its my body adjusting idk. Mad stressful this crap.

SuperHairo
04-03-2013, 03:24 PM
It's very stressful! I understand that the generic is manufactured by a legit company, my concern is the possibility of my body's DHT production switching back into gear. From what I've read, a generic is required to have the same "active ingrediant" to be accepted by the FDA. However, the molecular structure of that compound mixing with the "non-active" ingredient(s) can be different, meaning a slightly different reaction. I'm just concerned because I've come so far and would hate to regress.

Thanks

SuperHairo
04-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Sorry... "IngrediENT."

Headdy
11-29-2016, 02:26 PM
If anyone is reading this - DON'T SWITCH TO GENERIC if you can't risk losing your hair.

I was on Propecia for 4 years and it helped me keep my hair.
I switched to generic because I was told it's exactly the same. BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE.
Still losing hair now even after one year even though I got back on Propecia.

k9gatton
11-29-2016, 09:01 PM
I found the pure Finasteride doesn't really give me much side effects. I take most my Finasteride topically, combined with Minoxidil and Progesterone.

Personally I think the Progesterone does more work.

Generic only has to have eighty percent pure Finasteride in it, I believe. There's a window to. It could actually have more Finasteride than the brand name, although highly unlikely.

Let it be known I rarely take oral Finasteride. Topically it's equivalent to .1%, which equals one milligram per gram of topical solution I use.

ravegrover
11-29-2016, 11:48 PM
Cipla Finpecia 1 mg is same as Propecia at a fraction of the price.

Bernard Yong
11-30-2016, 12:41 AM
Anybody experienced any side effects of the sexual kind (reduced libido etc) from using Propecia?

Affordable and effective hair loss solution - www.cosmetology.com.my (https://www.cosmetology.com.my)

richter101
12-02-2016, 02:39 AM
I started with generic. So can't give a full comparison. But I will say, it's been amazing!!!!

Just stick to correct dosage. Good luck!

Richter101 is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi (https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/members/32071-Parsa-Mohebi-MD)

Born Oct ’89
Began Seeing Gradual Hair Loss Oct ’09
Began Seeing Gradual Hair Gain June ’15

My regimen includes:
HT #1 2200 (ARTAS- FUE) grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2016
Finasteride daily, since 2014
Rogaine experimenter from 2012- ’13 RIP

Planning HT #2 By End of This Year :)

Cookieboy
12-02-2016, 05:53 AM
How well have medication results been for you guys? I'm considering starting one to try and see if it works but I have no idea where to start.

Bernard Yong
12-07-2016, 07:14 PM
Results weren't too great for me, considering the side effects.

Hicks
12-16-2016, 07:43 PM
Used generic Proscar for 2.5 years and regrew some. Switch to brand proscar and hair got a little better in 6 months. Hope it continues. I wouldn't mess around with generic unless you have to.