View Full Version : What to do before you go bald?
07-12-2009, 11:29 PM
I am not bald, but if there is anything i can do before. I'm not sure if i will go bald or not. My dad is bald, but my mom's side isn't. What kind of shampoo should i use? I use a organic herbal shampoo. So i'm just making sure what i can do right now before it gets too late. And is it true that hair loss gene comes form the mother' side?
Dr. Glenn Charles
07-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Hair loss can come from either side of the family. Not necessarily from the mothers side. How old are you now? Would you consider taking Propecia if there was a chance it could slow down some future hair loss? Most organic shampoos are safe. Some doctors claim that Nizoral 2% shampoo can be of benefit and maybe even help strengthen the remaining hair. You would need a prescription for this. With a little more information it would be possible to let you know what your best current options are.
07-13-2009, 08:51 PM
I'm 18. I heard that if you eat black sesame, it helps reduce hair loss. Also, are there any other food or natural things i can do to prevent hair loss. Actually the shampoo i use is natural ingredients, but may not be organic. I also use keratin styling gel and shampoo. Is using conditioners good?I eat vitamin tablets with many different vitamins, but should get a specific vitamins good for the hair. I'm trying to stay away from those chemical products because they have side effects, unless there are ones without any.
07-13-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm 18. I heard that if you eat black sesame, it helps reduce hair loss. Also, are there any other food or natural things i can do to prevent hair loss. Actually the shampoo i use is natural ingredients, but may not be organic. I also use keratin styling gel and shampoo. I eat vitamin tablets with many different vitamins, but should get a specific vitamins good for the hair. I'm trying to stay away from those chemical products because they have side effects, unless there are ones without any.
If I were you I would not waste my time/money on non-FDA approved products as most doctors believe that it would not make a difference in hair loss. The science behind hairloss is that you inherit the gene through any side of your family (it could come from either the father or mother... however you have a 60% chance of getting your mother sides genes versus a 40% chance of getting your fathers side genes)... however, either way if you have the gene, you have it. So I would agree with Dr. Glenn Charles about maybe starting Propecia. The side-effects happen in less than 2% of men, but I don't think you would have a problem, as I take 7.5 times the recommended dosage for hairloss (Finasteride 1mg) and have absolutely no side effects. However, if you happen to be one of these unlucky 2% then all you would have to do is stop taking the drug and you will be back to normal within a week or two.
Remember time is of the essence when it comes to hairloss, the earlier you start the more you can save and take advantage of newer technologies coming out (such as PRP where it is more beneficial for the more hair you have on your head). So, go to your doctor and ask about getting a prescription for Propecia. If your unsure if you even have hairloss you can also take a new test called "hair DX" where they would take a swab sample from your mouth and see if you have the genetic predisposition for hairloss. I suggest you decide what to do soon, because time waiting is time wasted and it is so much easier to maintain your hair than to regrow. Also, avoid treatments you see on the internet and TV and make sure you do your research HERE as there are only a few proven treatments.
P.S. Dr. Glenn Charles... getting the hang of PRP yet??? I could tell you were pretty excited about this new technology when I saw you at Dr. Greco's office, and I commend you on taking an initiative to start performing this treatment.