View Full Version : UK: which blood tests do I use when using fin?

03-16-2013, 08:25 AM
I had a private dermatologist give me a prescription for finasteride for hair loss, but my NHS GP 1.) got angry that I saw someone privately without telling him 2.) refuses to accept either the TE and MPB diagnoses from the dermatologist 3.) told me not to take finasteride as it's dangerous 4.) refused the blood tests the dermatologist said I need every 6-12 months (who explicitly told me to get them from my NHS GP).

I MIGHT be able to get the blood tests privately, but which exact tests do I need? There are a numerous set available, some from 65 to 90 (just about affordable if I go without food) to 600+ (totally unaffordable). I'm also concerned that if something bad is discovered in the tests, and I need treatment for the liver or other issues, that the NHS will wash its hands of me for that as the blood test was private. But I'll come to that later. All the dermatologist said in the letter to me was a 'liver function test' but that isn't specific enough information.

03-17-2013, 01:34 AM
Go register with a new GP, take a copy of the bnf with you try to be more assertive, emphasise the psychological effects MPB is having on your life. If a GP refuses to help you then explain to them that your not happy with the outcome and will be writing to the General Medical Council to express your concerns, they will shit a brick trust me lol.

Dr. Glenn Charles
03-17-2013, 06:36 PM
Any basic liver funtion panal and a PSA should do the trick just to monitor you and make sure that no negative effects on your body are occuring.