Threaded View

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Default One of the Originals

Around 1977 I had a maximum amount of HT work done by The Bosley Medical Group in Beverly Hills California. The result was unnatural looking. In the end I had a fuller looking head of hair, but my hair looked artificial. People always looked at my hairline and I had nightmarish scarring in the donor area. In 2003 I discovered that Dr. Cole was close by. Using BH, Dr. Cole and his team were able to erase the unnatural doll-hair look.

Soon, Dr. Cole will be grafting into the shotgun-scarred area on the back and sides of my head.

It's been a long time since I posted. A while back, there were continuous arguments in the forums about BH. Some even said it either wouldn't grow or it would eventually die out. I didn't experience either, but I agree it isn't as good as scalp hair related to density of growth. In the forums, there were also constant accusations leveled against satisfied patients of being a sales person for a particular doctor. In many cases, you will find people who are just very happy with the results a particular Dr. provided for them.

By 1980, I had optimal growth from the old-school plug method. I was told that the hair would grow for a lifetime because hair on the back and sides of the are genetically programmed that way. Everyone of course is different, but over 30 years I lost about 70% of the programmed-for-life hair moved from the back and sides of my head. I am probably an extreme case related to this loss of what's considered safe donor area hair.

This is why I highly recommend a conservative approach for young people considering hair restoration. If you don't look good with a shaved head, consider focusing on the frontal area and don't worry about the back. This will frame your face.

The problem I had with hair loss at an early age was, my life felt like it fast-forwarded 40 years into the future within a 5 year period. Things are different now regarding women's view of bald or balding men. For example, I have a friend who is a Norwood 6. He shaves his head. He's about 5'6, has a positive and confident personality. I have NEVER in my life met any man who is so popular with women. In one day he can meet women in public places that begin texting him, even hounding him to spend time with them.

Bottom line for you young guys... Realize, there are women who PREFER bald or balding men. If you decide to have HT work, go conservative realizing that the negatives of hair loss are mainly in your head.