At 19: Coming to grips with baldness...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnone23
    • May 2012

Hey guys. All your feedback has not only been great and reassuring but also encouraging. And because of that, I going to give things one last roll of the dice before I commit myself to a shaved head. I'm going to go for a toco-8 and procerin combination (I've read some crazily impressive stories about the toco-8). I wonder if anyone else has tried this and what were their experiences. Honestly I pumped about this, I was always a sucker for all or nothing situations, so I'll keep you posted as to my results. My realistic hope for the time being is that I can I can keep my hair for one more year until uni is finished.

I'm moving to Japan upon graduation (if all goes well) so that will be my opportunity for a fresh start, but until then I might as well give it everything I've got

Comment

• clandestine
      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by johnone23
      Hey guys. All your feedback has not only been great and reassuring but also encouraging. And because of that, I going to give things one last roll of the dice before I commit myself to a shaved head. I'm going to go for a toco-8 and procerin combination (I've read some crazily impressive stories about the toco-8). I wonder if anyone else has tried this and what were their experiences. Honestly I pumped about this, I was always a sucker for all or nothing situations, so I'll keep you posted as to my results. My realistic hope for the time being is that I can I can keep my hair for one more year until uni is finished.

I'm moving to Japan upon graduation (if all goes well) so that will be my opportunity for a fresh start, but until then I might as well give it everything I've got
      johnone; glad you could find some solace in the forums.

question; terribly interested where you've read these impressive stories regarding toco-8? If you could link them, that would be awesome.

Comment

• johnone23
        • May 2012

Honestly I've based my view on this.

Well I started taking toco about 6-7 weeks ago, not just for the possible hair growth but all the other things it is helpful for. But for me (may not be for all) I have had a fair bit of hair regrow on my head. Thought I was seeing things, didn't mention it to anyone but have had a few people...

Either way, at least it will help me build muscle mass. i am taking it alongside saw palemento and iron supp. I have also kick started a new healthy eating regime, keep regular hydration. In face the only stressful element of my life right now is my exams. Once they are over I shouldn't be too bad. If you have any other suggestions of things I could try (side from the big three) or that you could recomend then I will be willing to go for it too. I understand that the majority of hairloss derived from hypersensitivity to hormonal imbalances - so hopefully by maintaining them some positive results could derive. We shall see what the outcome is. After a month or so I will send you an email with what I've experienced

Comment

• Tracy C
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by clandestine
          But you know that. I'm seeing so many young guys (>20, early 20's) come forward with mpb problems, makes me wonder what the is going on with our generation.
          I can't help but wonder myself. I know that in many cases it is simply a matter of a young fella freaking out over developing an adult male hair line. However, when these young guys haven't posted pics of the problem so it is hard to say what is really going on.

I see tons of young guys while I am out and about. Nearly all of them in their late teens/early twenties have adult male hair lines. Since the adult male hair line is natural and normal for males, this is not a good indication that MPB is happening. It only means that these males are maturing physically.

Comment

• johnone23
            • May 2012

When I went to see my GP about my hair loss problem, he made note that he had seen many young men in my condition and reassured me that I was not alone in this situation (however reassuring that can be).

I've decided to give myself a 'buzz-cut' purely for convenience reasons. Furthermore, by doing so I will be able to comprehend any changes to my hair over the next month and two months following the combination of treatments I'm undertaking;
            - Procerin (Saw Palmetto complex)
            - Toco-8
            - Iron supp
            - Multi Vitamin (Inc. Biotin)

I mean yes it is shit, but it gets to the point where we have to ask ourselves who are we kidding. I mean let's say that we get a girl in a dark club and bring her home, and she finds out there that you have hair problems, or you form a relationship and she finds out further down the line??? What will her reaction be? We can't keep this charade up forever... it is not our fault, but it is no-one else's either... it just happens. I was 18 years old, it was Matriculation day for my college at Cambridge and we were having a meal and one of the guys on my staircase was a bit drunk and just came out and told me he could see my scalp. And looking back at the photo's he was right, that was the first time it truly hit me. I had thin hair growing up, but at least I had lots of it, but unfortunately I couldn't fall back on thick hair when it started falling it...

I wonder if anybody watches House M.D.? Don't want to be that guy with the spoilers but while watching Wilson be diagnosed with cancer, go through the chemo and the turmoil of extending his life or enjoying the one he's got left it really puts things into perspective for me. Yes, hair loss sucks but we all know that, and I think deep down, past the treatments and the concealers and transplants, realistically, there is nothing we can do to guarantee a fresh full head of hair again, and we have to cross the emotional barrier and accept that. There is no doubt that hair loss has destroyed my later teenage years, no doubt, but I can't let it destroy me further.

Comment

• Tracy C
              • Sep 2011

I've decided to give myself a 'buzz-cut' purely for convenience reasons. Furthermore, by doing so I will be able to comprehend any changes to my hair over the next month and two months following the combination of treatments I'm undertaking;
              - Procerin (Saw Palmetto complex)
              - Toco-8
              - Iron supp
              - Multi Vitamin (Inc. Biotin)
              There is nothing in your treatment plan that is actually going to help you. You would have much better chances of slowing down, stopping or possibly reversing some of your hair loss with the known proven treatments.

It is best to take good quality photos four to six months apart. One or two months apart is not going to tell you anything. It takes a stupid long time to treat hair loss. Whatever treatment you chose to go with, you need to stick with it for a full year before you will know if it is working for you - longer before you will know how well it is working for you.

Comment

• NotBelievingIt
                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Tracy C
                There is nothing in your treatment plan that is actually going to help you...
                You shouldn't, and can't, say that. You have no idea if something non-big 3 will help. You're basically calling out everyone who has experienced otherwise and calling them a liar.

Comment

• Tracy C
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by NotBelievingIt
                  You're basically calling out everyone who has experienced otherwise and calling them a liar.
                  Well, if you put it that way... Yes.

Comment

• johnone23
                    • May 2012

Well put it this way, I've already bought the stuff, and I'm resigned to getting a buzz cut so I might as well see what happens if not for the pure fun of the experiment. When I can raise the finances I will get a good quality transplant and that will be that, but until then...

Comment

• Tracy C
                      • Sep 2011

I wish you luck then. Remember, the more you know the more you can help yourself.

Comment

• clandestine
                        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Tracy C
                        I wish you luck then. Remember, the more you know the more you can help yourself.
                        Remember, in some instances, the less you know, the more you can help yourself.

Comment

• mpb47
                          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by 25 going on 65
                          Hair loss in college is a real bitch. My very favorite thing about school was the girls... the day I noticed my crown starting to thin, I dropped out and never went back.

Even though my hair has improved from meds, I still don't feel comfortable surrounding myself with a bunch of 18-35-year-old women for hours every day. I won't go back until this is truly fixed, even if it means I never go back at all.
                          Those of you who push through it and get your degrees/certificates/whatever deserve a lot of credit.
                          By the time you are in college, things are starting to change and many women do not care at that point. Yea there are still some that do but not that many.

I would not let this stop me from going anyway as you need it as a competitive advantage. It's not fair, but much of the world is rigged to keep you dumb&cheap. I would not give up school over hair loss as that is short sided thinking...

Comment

• johnone23
                            • May 2012

Clandestine: I purposefully never touched propecia because of the reported sexual side effects. I may not have hair for a while but at least I'll have a penis!

mpb47: I agree, I could never drop out. I worked my ass off for my a levels to be accepted, and me degree is my future, I cannot turn my back on that. Shit happens, but so it does to everyone... this is our version, we just need to move on (didn't mean for that to rhyme)

Comment

• clandestine
                              • Aug 2011

Clandestine: I purposefully never touched propecia because of the reported sexual side effects. I may not have hair for a while but at least I'll have a penis!
                              I feel similarly.

It was more of a joke; the study I linked to indicates that patient's who were told previously about finasteride's potential for sides were (much) more likely to experience them i.e. Nocebo effect.

Hence, the less you know, the better off you are.

Comment

• johnone23
                                • May 2012

I suppose there is an element of beauty in ignorance...

Comment

Working...