X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpm
    • Nov 2011

Taking the propecia plunge

Hi guys

A brief introduction, my name is Joe and I'm 22. I've never had particularly thick hair but for the past 6months I've noticed the hair on the top of my head and at the front, getting thinner and thinner and it doesn't help that I have straight hair so you can see my scalp relatively easily. Recently I have decided to cut my hair short, like a number 2/3 and when I first did this I obviously got a few remarks from my colleagues (although I thought shorter hair didn't look too bad on me!) I still have a pretty good hairline.

Now after doing a lot of online research I've decided to keep my current hair (or at least reduce the loss rate) the best/only drug is propecia. I'm well aware of the possible side effects but I try not to dwell on them because that could bring on psychological side effects. I have ordered a 6 month supply of fin and am planning to start off on 0.5mg a day. See how I get on, with it.

Just a couple of quick questions, will 0.5mg be enough? and will fin be good for my thinning hair, given that I have caught it relatively early? I know no-one can say for sure, but from your past experiences.

I shall keep you posted on my progress once it arrives

JPM
  • Maradona
    • Nov 2011

Hi

hi man i have ordered 6 month of propecia too and will also take .5mg, i have caught it early just like you, only have receding at the temples BIG RECEDING. but hair is falling all over the place.

im not sure about .5mg efficiency but i think its good idea if we try .5mg and see if our body can tolerate it. lets keep in contact since we'll start this journey together ; ).

Comment

• jpm
      • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Maradona
      hi man i have ordered 6 month of propecia too and will also take .5mg, i have caught it early just like you, only have receding at the temples BIG RECEDING. but hair is falling all over the place.

im not sure about .5mg efficiency but i think its good idea if we try .5mg and see if our body can tolerate it. lets keep in contact since we'll start this journey together ; ).
      Good idea Mine should be here in the next day or so.

I don't have much receeding, my hairline is the same as it was when I was 17/18 but its the thinning thats hit me quite hard recently.

I'm going 0.5mg because I've been reading that there is much less chance of side effects but is pretty much just as effective as 1mg....not to mention cheaper!! Can always bump up to 1mg at a later date.

Good luck man and stay in contact.

Comment

• Maradona
        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by jpm
        Good idea Mine should be here in the next day or so.

I don't have much receeding, my hairline is the same as it was when I was 17/18 but its the thinning thats hit me quite hard recently.

I'm going 0.5mg because I've been reading that there is much less chance of side effects but is pretty much just as effective as 1mg....not to mention cheaper!! Can always bump up to 1mg at a later date.

Good luck man and stay in contact.
        Yeah my front hairline is the same as when i was 8 years old but my temples are like as big as cratters....lets do this together and see if catching it this early can help maintain early hair loss with just .5mg . I have no thining yet but definitely too much hair is falling....even lands on my mouth sometimes lol.

im going to try rogaine too...ive seen a dude doing both and he looked like chewbacca after 4 months, his temples were amazing. i dont know if it was this forums or hairloss forums but he was asian.

but then again i dont know which rogaine is good...

if you still have a complete good hairline maybe you were on a diet or didnt eat too well months ago and now is showing up as all over hair loss...thats very common man...find out for sure.

Comment

• DotheDewNorwood2
          • Mar 2010

taking the plunge

Sooooo....I've been following your thread JPM, and I think I will take the plunge with you guys. I am 27 and I have been balding since I was 23 I think. I haven't really noticed much thinnage in the crown, but my temples have receded to a point that I am no longer comfortable with. As a result I keep my hair longer than I used to, however, I feel like if I don't do something now, there will be little hair left to keep long.

Anyway, I've been lurking on this site for 2 years or so, and I think what you guys are doing is the motivation I needed. Im pretty confident that most side effects are psychological with a small percentage of legitimate ones, but obviously its kept me from starting earlier. So if you guys don't mind, I would like to keep in contact with both of you.

Maradona, what would you say you are on the NW scale? I lol'd when you said hair would sometimes land in your mouth. This has happened to me a time or two. I laugh now, but when it happens, its a devastating reminder of things to come.

quick question....where did you guys order from? I saw a dermatologist, and she proscribed me propecia, that was a year ago. It was $85 for a month supply but I was still on the fence of whether to do it or not. Just curious if you guys know a cheaper place to buy?

Comment

• Bromin
            • Nov 2011

If you go to propecia's main webpage, they can give you a loyalty discount for the first year. It can reduce your annual cost by $260.

Also ask your doctor about Proscar, which is the 5mg version of finasteride. Many people use a pill breaker to make it into 1mg.

Good luck! I've been on propecia for almost 2 weeks and am seeing amazing results already

Comment

• jpm
              • Nov 2011

Yeah my front hairline is the same as when i was 8 years old but my temples are like as big as cratters....lets do this together and see if catching it this early can help maintain early hair loss with just .5mg . I have no thining yet but definitely too much hair is falling....even lands on my mouth sometimes lol.

im going to try rogaine too...ive seen a dude doing both and he looked like chewbacca after 4 months, his temples were amazing. i dont know if it was this forums or hairloss forums but he was asian.

but then again i dont know which rogaine is good...

if you still have a complete good hairline maybe you were on a diet or didnt eat too well months ago and now is showing up as all over hair loss...thats very common man...find out for sure.
              Yeah my hairline isn't straight. but its not changed since I was 17 from photos I've been looking at. It maybe a diet thing and I have had quiet bad dandruff/flaky oily scalp until I got on the nizoral a couple of weeks ago. However, hoping that it isn't MPB may just be me trying to be optimistic. My hair has been falling out quite a lot for the past 3/4 months at a pretty fast rate.

I may contemplate visiting a derm, but it can take months of waiting on the NHS.

I didn't out rogaine in my routine because it seems too much hassle at the moment (applying it 2x a day) but I may move on to it if the fin isn't very effective.

Comment

• jpm
                • Nov 2011

just popped my first 0.5mg today

Comment

• Maradona
                  • Nov 2011

Originally posted by DotheDewNorwood2
                  Sooooo....I've been following your thread JPM, and I think I will take the plunge with you guys. I am 27 and I have been balding since I was 23 I think. I haven't really noticed much thinnage in the crown, but my temples have receded to a point that I am no longer comfortable with. As a result I keep my hair longer than I used to, however, I feel like if I don't do something now, there will be little hair left to keep long.

Anyway, I've been lurking on this site for 2 years or so, and I think what you guys are doing is the motivation I needed. Im pretty confident that most side effects are psychological with a small percentage of legitimate ones, but obviously its kept me from starting earlier. So if you guys don't mind, I would like to keep in contact with both of you.

Maradona, what would you say you are on the NW scale? I lol'd when you said hair would sometimes land in your mouth. This has happened to me a time or two. I laugh now, but when it happens, its a devastating reminder of things to come.

quick question....where did you guys order from? I saw a dermatologist, and she proscribed me propecia, that was a year ago. It was $85 for a month supply but I was still on the fence of whether to do it or not. Just curious if you guys know a cheaper place to buy?

i may be norwood 3 but the front hairline is norwood 1 i think, so its like a huge V shape...i order from 4rx.com, its cheap and some guy took the pills and tested for authenticity.

we should just be able to hold our bald heads...less bald till 2015.

cure is close i think.

hopefully .5mg can do the trick

Comment

• Maradona
                    • Nov 2011

Originally posted by jpm
                    just popped my first 0.5mg today
                    damn man really wish you good luck...i havent visited a doctor either.

so the deal is if we get side effects we stop the drug immediately right?

Comment

• jpm
                      • Nov 2011

damn man really wish you good luck...i havent visited a doctor either.

so the deal is if we get side effects we stop the drug immediately right?
                      cheers mate, been half a day and not experienced any side affects, trying not to think about them to be honest. don't want to be paranoid and think any slight ache in my body has been caused by the drug!

If I get something like a slight nipple tenderness I may try and wait it out, but if I stop getting erections etc then I will prob stop it!

Comment

• Maradona
                        • Nov 2011

hey mate since you already on the way....dont come to the forums and do try to live your regular life unless you have some serious side effects...ok? i think its very important to ignore everything and stop thinking about side effects.

just go out ignore your taking the propecia and dont come back here unless you need to...i will only come to this post like once a month or so to check for progress.

Comment

• jpm
                          • Nov 2011

hey mate since you already on the way....dont come to the forums and do try to live your regular life unless you have some serious side effects...ok? i think its very important to ignore everything and stop thinking about side effects.

just go out ignore your taking the propecia and dont come back here unless you need to...i will only come to this post like once a month or so to check for progress.
                          thats sound advice, I'll come on here as little as possible but I will post and keep in contact every now and then...anyway its Christmas coming up!! That will help me forget about this

Good luck too man!!

Comment

• DotheDewNorwood2
                            • Mar 2010

I've actually read several studies that showed .5mg was just as effective as 1mg. I'm gonna run with this idea first and see what happens. Im gonna put in my order at 4rx today or tomorrow.

If I do experience sides I will gauge the severity, and if its too much for me then I will come off. However, I do have some faith in riding it out and they will subside. But if they last for anymore than a month, then Im calling it quits (if I experience any at all).

But remember guys, the mind is a powerful tool. If you dwell on the possibility of side effects and you constantly grabbing your dick to check firmness, sensitivity, etc...I feel like this could manifest doubt, negativity, and ultimately stress which are libido killers (even without fin).

One thing I've been noticing is that my libido has declined over the last 3 or so years. I no longer get erections just by seeing a hot girl. Even if Im stressed out, I have no sexual desire which can last for a few days up to a few weeks. I feel like many people forget that this is natural and just happens the older you get. And for those who took treatments like fin and experience this after a few years, are too quick to point the finger.

TL;DR Don't dwell on sides, you know your body and if you experience radical changes, it might be best to come off. However, with age comes decreased libido and constantly assessing your sexual desires and performance create stress which kills libido's temporarily.

Comment

• Tinkinboutit
                              • Nov 2011

Go for it

I can tell you that I am 42 and have been on Propecia for I guess about 15 years. I would say for sure that Propecia has allowed me to keep the hair I have today. My hairline has stayed mostly the same for the last 15 years. In total it has receded about 1" to 1 1/4". Between the age of 18 -22 my hairline receded a good 3/4" of an inch. It was very traumatic for me. I thought being that young that I would be bald for sure in 10 years. Well as I said I am 42 now and in pretty good shape relatively speaking. I think the product works for sure. As far as side-effects I would say that I have slight man boobs. I guess the only good thing about that is it tells me it is changing my body chemistry and that change is allowing me to keep my hair. As far as sexual side-effects I would say it did decrease my libido a bit. I had a very high sexual drive so in some ways I was glad that it toned it down a bit.

If you want to keep your hair don't wait to get on Propecia! it is your only real hope at this point.

Comment

Working...