Replicel

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Papillion
    • Nov 2011

This may not be the time to say this, but it's a concern I had with the science from the beginning. I'm certainly no expert in this field but when I saw the explanation of procedure I was rather sceptical.
    I only mention this as I have not seen it suggested yet, but the way I see it is there are 2 factors that would make or break this theory.

The first and most important one is whether these cells activate something within the hair follicle. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that it does do something otherwise they'd be rather daft going to this length if it didn't.

For me however there is something that has never added up. Why would the cells magnate to hair follicles once injected into a scalp? It just seems very convenient to suggest they would. I hope them the best, and wish suffers of hairloss some relief, but it just doesn't add up for me.

Comment

• Pate
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Papillion
      For me however there is something that has never added up. Why would the cells magnate to hair follicles once injected into a scalp? It just seems very convenient to suggest they would. I hope them the best, and wish suffers of hairloss some relief, but it just doesn't add up for me.
      That part's actually been proven, way back in their 2003 paper. They injected the DSC and DP cells into the mice and those cells carried a fluorescent gene. When they later biopsied the mouse follicles they found the fluorescent cells had migrated into the papillae of the mouse follicles and clumped together - as evidenced by the fact they were glowing bright green.

So why it happened, I don't know and perhaps Replicel don't either. But it did. That's not the tricky part.

The real problem has been that when they withdrew the cells in the first place and multiplied them for injection, those multiplied cells somehow lost their inductive ability and wouldn't produce hair despite being, theoretically, exactly the same cells.

That's what put the process back 10 years. The first multiplication discoveries were back in the late 90s, and Aderans has only just discovered how to consistently produce hair in the last couple of years.

The real challenge for Replicel IMO is going to be whether they have cracked the solution to that problem that came up 10 years ago.

Comment

• Papillion
        • Nov 2011

Thanks Pate.
        I didn't look too deeply if I'm honest since it just struck me as sounding rather presumptuous to suggest that cells would for some reason move to dormant follicles.
        If they have evidence that they do then fair play, as Arthur C Clarke said, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." They don't have to know why they do (although they may well know) either way I wasn't bagging the company, they should be applauded irrespective of the results for adding to the knowledge.

Comment

• 67mph
          • Mar 2010

In mice!
          10 years ago or yesterday, cells created in mice!!

Comment

• yeahyeahyeah
            • Nov 2011

Starting to get bored of this thread/and replicel.

Same old bullshit.

On that note, my money has always been on Histogen.

They are the only company that has proven to grow hair on humans.

Comment

• Pate
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by yeahyeahyeah
              On that note, my money has always been on Histogen.

They are the only company that has proven to grow hair on humans.
              Mine too... although to be honest Aderans has grown hair too, just not as much of it.

Someone brought up a few pages back about when Dawkins started going into hysterics that Histogen was dead because they changed their website to remove the product pipeline. Sounded almost exactly the same as those now going into hysterics over Replicel over their distancing themselves from Tobin's comments.

Yet Histogen have bumped up a gear into the next trial phase. Might be a lesson there. Namely, wait for the release, and if they grew no hair whatsoever, whinge to your heart's content. But save it til you know for sure!

Comment

• NeedHairASAP
                • Jul 2011

typical replicel thread post

hey guys!

whats up

[insert speculation about replicel]

that gho guy is a [insert derogatory term]

im just waiting for [insert result-less company]

Comment

• WillhasWill
                  • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Pate
                  Even if the results from this one solitary injection designed primarily to measure safety are good (meaning safe, and at least SOME indication of new terminal hair) there will be people here whinging and bitching.

I can just imagine it now. "Only 3 hairs per sq cm? Total failure. **** Replicel. I told you guys all along it would never work. David Hall should be in jail."

I don't even want to imagine this place if it's safe but with no indication of new terminal hair. In fact I think I will be quitting this forum.
                  I agree, there is no pleasing some people. I think some are expecting a cure for baldness in a few days. Replicel are still in the very early stages and this won't happen so I'm also dreading the Replicel hate posts that will be flooding this thread in a few days time.

Comment

• BoSox
                    • Jun 2010

Originally posted by WillhasWill
                    Replicel are still in the very early stages and this won't happen so I'm also dreading the Replicel hate posts that will be flooding this thread in a few days time.

True, but if Replicel comes out with a homerun, the next 2-5 years will be stress free. Cure for stress followed by cure to baldness.

Comment

• yeahyeahyeah
                      • Nov 2011

Originally posted by BoSox
                      True, but if Replicel comes out with a homerun, the next 2-5 years will be stress free. Cure for stress followed by cure to baldness.
                      If you can afford it.

Histogen have a better chance then replicel tbh.

Comment

• Davey Jones
                        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by yeahyeahyeah
                        If you can afford it.

Histogen have a better chance then replicel tbh.
                        Anybody making even half way decent money should be able to save $20,000 in five years. Depends what you want more: cappuccinos everyday or hair?

Comment

• uninformed
                          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by BoSox
                          Yeh dude, stress is a bitch. I've been away from discussions for a while and honestly feels pretty good to not check the forums for updates every morning, but couldn't stay away cos of replicel... guess we just gotta stayed positive.

Personally I rather be optimistic and be let down from time to time, it's gotta be better than staying in a perpetually dark place where all glasses are half empty.

Comment

• yeahyeahyeah
                            • Nov 2011

Originally posted by uninformed
                            Yeh dude, stress is a bitch. I've been away from discussions for a while and honestly feels pretty good to not check the forums for updates every morning, but couldn't stay away cos of replicel... guess we just gotta stayed positive.

Personally I rather be optimistic and be let down from time to time, it's gotta be better than staying in a perpetually dark place where all glasses are half empty.
                            Yeah, it corrodes you. After the replicel update I'm outta here for a while.

Only reason why I am sticking around.

Comment

• BaldinLikeBaldwin
                              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Scorpion
                              20'000$ is a lot of money.

Where I live the average salary is about 800$ a month. Most of that goes to living expenses and food. So maybe people can save 1000$ a year max.
                              Hopefully you'll be able to make the money you need somehow...

#ThankYouBasedScorpion

Comment

• inkt2002
                                • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Scorpion
                                20'000$ is a lot of money.

Where I live the average salary is about 800$ a month. Most of that goes to living expenses and food. So maybe people can save 1000$ a year max.
                                Short Replicel stock. You should have the money in no time.

Comment

Working...