Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gary Hitzig MD
    • Dec 2010

More Confident

With experience over the past 2+ years comes more confidence. We have slowly increased the size of the Transplant sessions gaining further security as the results have come in. One should crawl before they walk, we have done both

Comment

• Gary Hitzig MD
      • Dec 2010

PRP + ACell

We have seen results in all areas of the scalp. Very recent research indicates that MPB begins with DEFECTIVE STEM CELLS in the affected areas of the scalp. I believe that the combo works because we are injecting activated Adult Stem Cells into microwounds that we create with the injection needles thereby initiating a repair process that uses healthy uninjured stem cells to re-model the hair follicles. Time will tell but the early results are promising.

Comment

• Westonci
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Gary Hitzig MD
        We have seen results in all areas of the scalp. Very recent research indicates that MPB begins with DEFECTIVE STEM CELLS in the affected areas of the scalp. I believe that the combo works because we are injecting activated Adult Stem Cells into microwounds that we create with the injection needles thereby initiating a repair process that uses healthy uninjured stem cells to re-model the hair follicles. Time will tell but the early results are promising.
        Thank you for your response, I was just wondering will you be posting your 9 month Acell+Arterial Blood/PRP results photos soon.

Comment

• HairRobinHood
          Inactive
          • Feb 2010

type of grafts

Dear Dr. Hitzig,

Which type of grafts do you use for the normal HT procedure part?

I mean, when you dissect/prepare hair follicles/grafts under the microscope, which type of FU’s do you finally use for implantation? Do you use/prefer “skinny” (‘skeletonized’) grafts, rather than “chubby” grafts?

If the latter (chubby), I would be surprised that the ACell/PRP suspension you inject is able to 1) “use healthy uninjured stem cells” from the transplanted grafts (through migration/signaling), what 2) finally would explain the additional (healthy) hair follicles in the recipient side.

imho, the type of grafts as well as storage time and storage medium (e.g. ACell/PRP combo) surely plays an important role too for any ‘cloning’ (additional hairs) in the recipient side. The type of injection (HOW you inject the suspension) might play a role too. I think only some small comparison procedures (i.e. any ‘imaginary boxes’ in the crown etc) in the recipient side brings more light into this issue.

All in all, I believe that just a ACell/PRP or ACell/arterial blood combo for injection alone (without HT grafts from the back of the head) is NOT able to grow a damn healthy thing in bald areas. That's the other point.

Comment

• Gary Hitzig MD
            • Dec 2010

Answering Both

Yes, I will be posting pictures soon. There was a constructional accident to my office building around Thanksgiving forcing an emergency evacuation (the building is on stantions and was in danger of collapse). We are getting back in today and this has significantly delayed our work).

As far as grafts, I was talking only about injections, not transplants. Mixing one's own isolated adult stem cells with ACell results in a pre-activated progenitor cell suspension which forms a temporary scaffold and structure for remodelling the hair follicles. The injections also serve to damage the follicles to initiate the repair process. This can only work in areas where alive miniaturizing hairs exist, and please forgive me if I gave the wrong impression in a prior post. You can't revive the dead, either human or hair follicle.

Comment

• HairRobinHood
              Inactive
              • Feb 2010

... and please forgive me if I gave the wrong impression in a prior post. You can't revive the dead, either human or hair follicle.
              Oops, sorry Dr. Hitzig, I’ve just noticed that it's not your fault but mine, because I thought you’re talking about a combination procedure (traditional HT procedure + in addition ACell/PRP injections between the transplanted grafts).
              So this type of approach concerning reactivating (“re-model”) miniaturized follicles – that's REALLY INTERESTING, I have to say.

Anyway, THANKS for your response!

p.s. "You can't revive the dead, either human or hair follicle."
              And what represents -per definition- a "miniaturized follicle" vs. a "dead follicle"?
              Is a dead follicle like a dead mouse in a trap and is a miniaturized follicle like a mouse with a broken neck in a trap, but the mouse is still alive?

Comment

• gmonasco
                Inactive
                • Apr 2010

You can't revive the dead, either human or hair follicle.
                But is it true that the follicles are really dead, or are they still alive but non-productive? As one of the many recent articles about the research from the University of Pennsylvania said:

Men with male-pattern baldness still have hair - it's just very tiny and delicate. Their follicles are much smaller and they produce "vellus" hair shafts that are correspondingly smaller and gossamer-thin.

Comment

• HairRobinHood
                  Inactive
                  • Feb 2010

Originally posted by HairRobinHood
                  p.s. "You can't revive the dead, either human or hair follicle."
                  And what represents -per definition- a "miniaturized follicle" vs. a "dead follicle"?
                  Is a dead follicle like a dead mouse in a trap and is a miniaturized follicle like a mouse with a broken neck in a trap, but the mouse is still alive?
                  By the way ...

Hair follicle stem cells repair nerves & spinal cord - Part 1
                  AntiCancer Inc. discovers new source of stem cells in hair follicle that repairs nerve and spinal cord injury

Hair follicle stem cells repair nerves & spinal cord - Part 2
                  AntiCancer Inc. discovers new source of stem cells in hair follicle that repairs nerve and spinal cord injury

The question is, what happens if you apply just "ACell" to the mouse's nerve or spinal cord? I guess in this case, ACell could have the ability to repair the nerve and/or spinal cord - maybe. BUT concerning hair follicles (you can't compare this mini-organ with nerves or a spinal cord) you simply need HEALTHY hair-follicle-stem-cells nearby a "weak" follicle, or simply replace them through healthy hair-follicle-cells. Actually, there is no need to test that, because this has already been tested several times by different research groups - of course successfully. E.g. Dr. Jerry Cooley demonstrated that (more or less "by accident" during his punch harvesting test with the usage of ACell and "freed" hair follicle cells in the wounded environment).

Comment

• HairRobinHood
                    Inactive
                    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by HairRobinHood
                    Actually, there is no need to test that, because this has already been tested several times by different research groups - of course successfully. E.g. Dr. Jerry Cooley demonstrated that (more or less "by accident" during his punch harvesting test with the usage of ACell and "freed" hair follicle cells in the wounded environment).
                    Dr. Hitzig, YOU yourself demonstrated that with your "special" wound closure technique. Because this part of your work alone demonstrates the GENIUS inside you!

Comment

• rapunzal
                      • Jan 2011

Androgen Time Bomb

No, the multiplication far exceeds the number of catogen or telogen (dormant) hairs that could normally be accounted for. We believe these are new "cloned" hairs. We also believe that without proof that the ACell + PRP acts as an androgen receptor competitive inhibitor, that perhaps it acts by resetting the time clock by which the follicles react to the DHT. Time and further work will tell. I hope what we are doing inspires others to help prove the answer. In the meantime, the progress and excitement continues. In my 35 + years in this field, this has been the the most exciting time I have been fortunate to be a force in.
                      GH
                      Dr Hitzig

Perhaps plucking and reimplanting a miniturizing(ed) hair (assuming it can provide the cells required) could help prove if this is the case IF the new hair grows terminal. It might not be conclusive as you would need to observe the hair over many years, however if it regrows miniturized then you might be able to rule it out. Maybe you have already tried this with results ? or perhaps miniturized plucked hairs did not regrow ?

Cheers

Comment

• Gary Hitzig MD
                        • Dec 2010

Dead vs Dying

Not sure where we cross the line but I think vellus hairs are essentially like dead plants-they are noticable but if you water them they are still gone.
                        Miniaturizing are more like plants that are alive but noticiably in need of some form of resuscitation. Hopefully ACell combined with PRP will be their EMS. I am starting to work with a company that can specifically isolate the adult stem cells from the PRP mixture. Their deeds will confirm their words.

Comment

• rapunzal
                          • Jan 2011

Complacent Industry ??

Dr Hitzig
                          On a related matter, but slightly different direction. Are you happy with the number of clinics that have commenced trials to either prove/disprove the plucking technique with the potential of developing it into a viable product. I mean, there is a real threat from the hair multiplication world (Aderans, Histogen, Follica) that HM could come to the market in around 2014-15. What will this do to the business of the traditional hair transplant clinics if they suddenly loose 50% of their customers to say e.g. Bosley because they have a product (hybrid transplant+Aderans) that is far superior (unlimited donor, potentially scarless, high density, etc) than traditional transplants. I know myself, if I was in the business and wanted to remain competitive I would be looking to develop a product that was at least equal or at worst a niche product to be used as an adjunct to superior hair multiplication products. Autocloning with Acell I believe (my own belief that is) is the only hope that exists for many clinics if they want to remain in the game unless they can get in on the hair multiplication action. Yet my feeling from what I read is that it is experimental and we will wait and see in a few years. Are these guys actually doing any form of trials ? Are they sharing detailed information on these trials ? From the accounts on the internet is seems like perhaps 6 or so clinics unless of course others are doing it in secret. Time is ticking for this industry before a major HM shake-up , traditional hair transplant clinics need a new product, and they need it very soon. Consumers are not silly, they will vote with their feet and buy the best product on the market and the contest between limited vs unlimited donor is a no brainer. Either the owners of the traditional HT clinics are completely aware of the treat to their business or have become complacent. If they choose not to collaborate and develop a better product then perhaps it will be a lesson for them to collaborate when it comes time to update their curriculum vitae for their next jobs.
                          Anyway, just food for thought.

Comment

• Gary Hitzig MD
                            • Dec 2010

"Clincal Trials" Using ACell

Only a handful of Physicians have reached out to me--and those are the ones who want to learn how to use ACell in specific instances, such as in keloid improvement after a botched laser tatoo removal attempt. Physicians such as Dr. Mcgrath, Dr. Niebloski, and Dr. DeYarmin have reached out multiple times to help them understand the product and its correct application as well as how to keep out of trouble and obtain the best possible results. The ones conducting their "Clinical Studies" have not!

In my practice, we have been working with ACell and its various applications in hair regrowth and duplication, wound healing, scar improvement, beard and scalp hair plucking, combination with PRP/Arterial Blood serum etc. since it was approved by the FDA in wound healing in September, 2008. Jerry Cooley and I have kept the whole idea quiet for over 2 years while we slowly learned the correct way to use the product. We didn't become experts overnight!

As you are sure to see, the ones who "fail" in their so called Clinical Trials will be quick to blame the product, not the practitioner---Sad But True.

We are constantly moving on. For example,we are now starting to work with an established Company that can isolate and concentrate one's own Adult Stem Cells from the PRP/Arterial Serum. We will be starting this month combining this with Specific particle size Matristem (Yes not all Acell is the same--most don't know this) prior to scalp injections--Exciting Stuff especially in light of the recent research released last week. This Bolus of Adult Stem Cells should help improve the speed of recovery and perhaps the results---Keep Tuned

Comment

• Westonci
                              • Feb 2010

Only a handful of Physicians have reached out to me--and those are the ones who want to learn how to use ACell in specific instances, such as in keloid improvement after a botched laser tatoo removal attempt. Physicians such as Dr. Mcgrath, Dr. Niebloski, and Dr. DeYarmin have reached out multiple times to help them understand the product and its correct application as well as how to keep out of trouble and obtain the best possible results. The ones conducting their "Clinical Studies" have not!

In my practice, we have been working with ACell and its various applications in hair regrowth and duplication, wound healing, scar improvement, beard and scalp hair plucking, combination with PRP/Arterial Blood serum etc. since it was approved by the FDA in wound healing in September, 2008. Jerry Cooley and I have kept the whole idea quiet for over 2 years while we slowly learned the correct way to use the product. We didn't become experts overnight!

As you are sure to see, the ones who "fail" in their so called Clinical Trials will be quick to blame the product, not the practitioner---Sad But True.

We are constantly moving on. For example,we are now starting to work with an established Company that can isolate and concentrate one's own Adult Stem Cells from the PRP/Arterial Serum. We will be starting this month combining this with Specific particle size Matristem (Yes not all Acell is the same--most don't know this) prior to scalp injections--Exciting Stuff especially in light of the recent research released last week. This Bolus of Adult Stem Cells should help improve the speed of recovery and perhaps the results---Keep Tuned
                              Can you give us a ballpark estimate of how much Acell+Arterial Blood/PRP injections would cost.

I know that for PRP alone is about $1000

Comment

• KeepHoping
                                • Dec 2010

Questions

Dr. Rassman who is conducting his big trail with Acell has not contacted you or Dr. Cooley to ask about how to go about the plucking procedure!? This would be a disappointment, I don't understand why he wouldn't contact at least one of you to understand how to do the procedure. I'm wondering how he could possibly know how to conduct the trail efficiently without prior knowledge of the product he's utilizing.

Comment

Working...