Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RichardDawkins
    Inactive
    • Jan 2011

I think the truth lies in between. If i had to guess i would say that all the before patients were lets say Guinea Pigs and that Gho is now coming closer to the ultimate solution in terms of graft yielding and density.

Some user at the german forum said when he called hasci they said that 70 grafts per square centimeter are not a problem, and that was a few months ago. I think right now he has figured out how to get a consitent regrowth rate etc.

I mean even Cole got an average of 50% regrowth rate with FUE, Acell and minimal depth approaches.

Right now i am waiting for only one thing

"The first doc(clini who admits that HST works" i think this will come soon, Cole somehow did admit it slightly which at least in my case gave him huge respect points and thats rare in my case

Comment

• John P. Cole, MD
      • Dec 2008

I find it interesting that individuals continue to turn to Aderans and Histogen as if they offer some sort of miracle solution. After all, who is Aderans? Aderans is a wig provider from Asia. They made so much money selling people expensive wigs that they were able to buy Bosely and MHR in the USA. As the owners of such businesses, I really don’t see why anyone would expect anything ground breaking to come out of this organization. In order to create products that induce hair growth, one needs some pretty good research folks and some people with some amazing ideas. What was the last new, ground breaking idea to treat hair loss that originated from Aderans, Bosely, or MHR? In my opinion, Aderans keeps their search for a cure to hair loss in progress simply to add credibility to their mass marketing TV approach. In today’s society, quite honestly, if you need to market your medical services on TV, you really don’t have a strong reputation. Having a research center helps give them credibility, but they’ve produced nothing so far. I’m not putting my money behind Aderans. I hope I’m wrong, but I just can’t get behind them.

Who is Histogen? This is another company whose primary clinical researcher used to be the top physician producer for MHR. What ground breaking idea has anyone associated with Histogen ever done to improve results for hair loss suffers? If you look at the single example that I saw on the Histogen website, I was not impressed at all. When you first begin to loose hair, you loose diameter and color. You loose density later. Histogen shows an area on the scalp that has good density on the bottom and poor density on the top. What’s going on here? It’s certainly not classic androgenic alopecia where the affects are more diffuse. One does not see something like this in an area affected by androgenic alopecia. Then you look at the after photo. The after photo looks like the hair suddenly appeared out of nowhere on the top ½ of the circle, but the bottom ½ of the circle looks similar to the before photo. Could these be two different spots? There is no tattoo to confirm the two spots are identical. Divide the circle into four quadrants. Where is the three hair follicular unit that was in the lower left quadrant on the before photo. It’s not there on the after photo. The lighting is different too. The after photo looks darker. I feel a darker photo makes the hair stand out more.

What happened to Intercytex? After many years they vanished with no clinically significant results.

I’d look more to the research coming out of Korea and Philadelphia. I did ask the Koreans if they had seen any major breakthroughs in growing hair while visiting with them in Bangkok at the end of June. Their answer was succinctly put. NO.

Thus far, the most interesting thing I’ve seen is Acell. It’s not a panacea, but at least these are potential results we can get behind.

Comment

• John P. Cole, MD
        • Dec 2008

What is causing the red color at the top of the before photo that is more prominent in the right upper quadrant? Where are the two follicular units inside the circle in the after photo? Either the two areas are different or Histogen had a negative affect on these two follicular units.

What happened to the red color. Could this red color indicate that something other than androgenic alopecia was causing the hair loss on the top of the photo?
        Attached Files

Comment

• CVAZBAR
          • Dec 2010

Are we going to get another reply later changing your mind, just like you did with Acell?

Comment

• RichardDawkins
            Inactive
            • Jan 2011

Maybe but this time i will stick with Dr Cole here for obvious reasons.

If you look at in situ multiplication (doenst matter if Acell or HST just doesnt matter) you can see some results to feel, you know in the donor area you have only two ways, regeneration or not. Its not all about white spots, thats not the point.

But if you dont have any white spots and no significant disturbances in your graft order (disruptions like follicl follicle no follicle follicle follicle no follicle) then you can be pretty sure that in situ multiplication works

To me Ari and Histogen may have some good approaches but they just wont work to the extend we want them to work.

Let me put it this way : If you would have the choice right now between

1) Ghos HST or Cole doing his early HM or Cooley doing his plucking with guaranteed 70 Grafts per square centimeter on your whole head from the front to the back with donor regeneration

OR

2) A injection shot of Ari or Histogens Stuff

What would you choose? To me its simple, i would choose the first option anytime because here you have your donor hair on the rest of your head and you dont need to eat finasterid or use rogaine.

Also in the first option you sometimes have the slim chance of getting multiple hairs prouting from one transpanted stem cell reservoire. Dont forget 12.000 Grafts are needed for a successfull NW7 to NW1 transformation and an 70 density on an average head. And even witj limited donor we saw some NW6 to NW2 transformation with way lesser grafts.

Anyway Dr Cole, do you have any plans to get in touch with Gho or to see or get a licence for his HST? Maybe you can improve some things with Acell usage

Comment

• John P. Cole, MD
              • Dec 2008

I'm not certain how i confused someone. My opinion in Acell and hair plucking remains the same. You will sacrifice yield when you pluck hair and treat them with Acell. You will not see full regrowth in the donor area. Follicle size of transplanted hairs that are plucked may be finer than the original hair, thus resulting in a reduced degree of coverage. I don't see this as a viable solution to treating hair loss. I also would think that those physicians involved in this effort would have by now stopped doing strips and focused fully on this non-scarring method of hair transplantation if indeed it worked as well as they implied.

Acell used to treat minimal depth extraction sites does seem to induce follicle regeneration. I have not seen enough cases return to suggest that this is a method we should all consider doing.

No, i do not have plans to see Dr. Gho at this time, but I wish him great success in his efforts. I'd like to visit him. i'm not sure he is accepting visitors right now. I may venture to London in late September as we are looking to open an office there devoted to FUE. Perhaps I can stop by Maastricht.

There are some real research centers working on hair multiplication. Let's hope they can come up with something. Their training in this subject is far superior to my training.

Comment

• Follicle Death Row
                • May 2011

It will be interesting to see if Dr. Gho eventually decides to open up a clinic in the US. The thing that really interests me is that Dr. Bernstein is looking into hair multiplication with Acell using a method very similiar to Dr. Gho's. If Bernstein has good results the method will surely become standard.

Perhaps Dr. Gho's method really works the way he says it does. I can't help but feel his short comings in the past re hair multiplication are damaging his credibility. It is reassuring to see that we have great doctors in the field like Dr. Cole and Dr. Cooley who have open minds regarding potential new treatments. As with all things, time will tell.

Comment

• Follicle Death Row
                  • May 2011

I'll be keeping a good eye on Wesley Sneijder's hair. It's looking damn good so far and he's certainly a good advert for Dr. Gho's HST.

Comment

• UK_
                    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by drcole
                    What is causing the red color at the top of the before photo that is more prominent in the right upper quadrant? Where are the two follicular units inside the circle in the after photo? Either the two areas are different or Histogen had a negative affect on these two follicular units.

What happened to the red color. Could this red color indicate that something other than androgenic alopecia was causing the hair loss on the top of the photo?
                    Dr Cole, thank your for your opinion.

The larger pictures of the scalps of the individuals involved in the study clearly showed classic male 'pattern' hair loss.

Dr Cole, would you also suggest the results of Mayumi Ito to be equally wrong? Through the use of wnt proteins Mayumi Ito and his team were able to restore grey hairs to their original colour and also saw growth of new hairs.

How do you respond to this?

I personally also, simply do not believe Histogen are trying to pull the wool over our eyes here, such a contention really demands factual evidence.

Is there something you know that we dont?

Comment

• UK_
                      • Feb 2011

(Google translate).

Also... How old is this: http://www.accessexcellence.org/WN/SUA06/bald.php (?)

Although his work did not involve hair diseases, biology Prof. Robert Hoffman of the University of California-San Diego – who founded the oldest freestanding biotech company, AntiCancer, in the city 27 years ago – had fascinating things to say. He has spent years researching stem cell markers in the brain that were called Nestin. Incredibly, Hoffman discovered them in abundance in human and murine hair follicles. They can differentiate into neurons, muscle cells and others, and thus “could eventually become an easily accessible source of adult stem cells to produce new organs – even to repair spinal cord injuries.”

With hair, the sky is the limit, and it’s all in your head.
                      Comments on 15th Annual Meeting of the European Hair Research Society (EHRS) (2011)

From here:

Hair and its numerous disorders and treatment was the topic when the Western world’s largest-ever conference on hair research convened in Jerusalem recently.

(last paragraph)

Comment

• mlao
                        • Oct 2009

In my opinion, Aderans keeps their search for a cure to hair loss in progress simply to add credibility to their mass marketing TV approach. In today’s society, quite honestly, if you need to market your medical services on TV, you really don’t have a strong reputation. Having a research center helps give them credibility, but they’ve produced nothing so far. I’m not putting my money behind Aderans. I hope I’m wrong, but I just can’t get behind them.
                        Dr Cole are you implying that they are advertising future hair cloning in television commercials?
                        I doubt the layman watching a Bosley commercial would connect them with Aderans cloning research.
                        I have never seen Bosley ever mention hair cloning.

Comment

• John P. Cole, MD
                          • Dec 2008

Boy, I'm getting hammered with good questions. I'll try to answer them, but may have to refer back to the questions and do a continuation.

First, i don't know what Dr. Bernstein is doing. He has a clever mind as Dr. Cooley. I'd like to know.

Second, Wnt proteins do all sorts of things. They even cause cancer. With mice, you can toss any research in the waste bin because mouse hair does not respond like human hair. Interesting, but they need to show me human results. You can rub a nude mouse and it might grow hair. You already know you can't do the same on your scalp.

Wnt has been around for some time and smart people have been studying it in relation to hair growth for a number of years. The people i know have not come up with any new revelations.

I'm not attacking Bosely commercials or suggesting that their research is not real. Why wouldn't someone want to find a cure for hair loss with medication? you'd make even more millions. what i'm saying is that while they might have a financial inducement to produce clinical results, their total marketing package might be to include a hair research center that is not properly funded in an effort to add credibility to their brand. How else do you get over the hurdle of 30 years of bad work? You add credibility in other ways. Aderans is Bosley. Why did they hire Ken Wieshnik? He added credibility; he certainly knew very little about hair transplants. He knows alot about Propecia and other hair loss drugs, but that's his strength. Aderans is not trying to clone hair. They are trying to create cell multiplication. No one has found a solution to this yet, either.

Not sure about the other results regarding histogen. All i can say is that the results on their website are not impressive. If i were promoting a product, i'd put more impressive photos on my website.

Comment

• mlao
                            • Oct 2009

Not sure about the other results regarding histogen. All i can say is that the results on their website are not impressive. If i were promoting a product, i'd put more impressive photos on my website.
                            This is a statement I agree with 100% never before has so much hope been pinned on so little photo evidence.

that said I hope I'm 100% WRONG!
                            Last edited by mlao; 08-06-2011, 07:05 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

• HairTalk
                              • Feb 2011

All i can say is that the results on their website are not impressive. If i were promoting a product, i'd put more impressive photos on my website.
                              Sorry, Dr. Cole, but most of the images on your own Web site are anything but impressive or revealing; often, they're blurry, shaky, low-resolution pictures. Sometimes, they're just odd and ridiculous glamor shots:

Comment

• Havok
                                • Apr 2011

the results look pretty good to me, but i suspect it's because the patient was a good HT candidate judging by his pre-op photo.

Comment

Working...