Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rizaan
    • Dec 2014

Shedding after taking Saw Palmetto

So I recently got capsules ( just 160 mgsaw palmetto + vitamins) online. Just a day after taking my first capsule, my scalp started to itch from time to time, and now 2 days later I'm shedding heavily. I applied my usual minoxidil in the morning, and after a few hours noticed my scalp was VERY dry. My skin was coming off and when i rubbed my head, I couldn't believe how much dandruff started to get off along with a lot of hair.
    I got so scared, i took a shower and used Ketoconazole (2%), and even after that shower when I ran my hand over my head, hair came out which has never happened before. Most of these hairs were thin (miniaturised). Is that of any significance? Does this mean I'm a diffuse thinner + have MPB(I'm a NW1.5)?

I know there isn't much research for Saw palmetto, but it is known to be a DHT blocker and a lot of people use it. I've read from some reviews that there could be some shedding at first but i didn't think it would happen so soon and so much (easily more than 100+ hairs) that too while giving me an itchy, dry scalp; and this was just 160 mg of Saw Palmetto taken orally!
    Should i keep taking the supplements and hope to regrow what i lost or should I stop? (please don't tell me to do the later if you dismiss anything aside from the big 3)
  • Rizaan
    • Dec 2014

https://www.*****************/intera...palmetto.2960/
    My hopes of Saw palmetto stopping HL are pretty much crushed after reading this; the type of 5AR it blocks isn't the one found in the scalp But I don't get all the reviews from people saying their HL stopped a few months after taking SP.

Comment

• Rizaan
      • Dec 2014

But that is in theory. Everywhere else I search, people say they started shedding AFTER stopping taking Saw Palmetto and that it had either slowed down or stopped their Hair Loss.
      Now I can't decide between whether or not I should continue with the SP supplements or if I should start applying SP extract topically. If I do see improvement, and if I ever stop, I'll shed more hair, like how it is with minoxidil and Propecia. I find of feel stuck with minoxidil now because i know I'll go from a NW1.5 to a NW2.5 (probably) if I stop, it's giving me side effects (irritation in eyes + puffiness under eyes). My hair looks like shit now and my confidence is going down

Comment

• Rizaan
        • Dec 2014

I can't believe it: I've lost so much hair now, i can actually see my scalp through my sparse hair It has never looked this worse and I'd never thought it would happen so quickly. I feel crushed

Comment

• Rizaan
          • Dec 2014

If i keep losing more hair I'll be completely bald on top in just a few weeks since my density was already low to begin with. I don't know why my HL is getting so aggressive

Comment

• HTsoon
            • Feb 2016

What questions do you have Rizaan? this is your thread and the appropriate place to ask questions.

Comment

• JeanlucBergman
              • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Rizaan
              If i keep losing more hair I'll be completely bald on top in just a few weeks since my density was already low to begin with. I don't know why my HL is getting so aggressive
              Get on the big 3 or lose your hair. Get over it.

Comment

• Rizaan
                • Dec 2014

Originally posted by JeanlucBergman
                Get on the big 3 or lose your hair. Get over it.
                I have been on Minoxidil and Ketoconazole for 2 and a half years. I don't want to touch finesteride even though I'm aware it is the most potent of the 3.

I am wondering if my current shedding was due to telogen effluvium. I don't know much about it but could sudden itchy scalp, lots of dandruff and shedding be symptoms? I did have a stressful period about 4 months ago so I could be losing hair now because of that (based on what i learned about this condition through googling).
                Either that or I'm f*cked with my ALA suddenly getting very aggressive

Comment

• Rizaan
                  • Dec 2014

Originally posted by HTsoon
                  What questions do you have Rizaan? this is your thread and the appropriate place to ask questions.
                  I don't want to spend my youth balding and depressed with my HL, so i think it would be better to get a HT soon. I know I'd have to get more done in the future since I'll keep losing more hair, but I'll take that into consideration while getting my first one done. I am fine with an adult hairline (1.5 cm above the uppermost horizontal brow) and a slightly receded hairline. Also, I've had pretty low density for like 2 years now and most people couldn't tell because my natural hair isn't fine.
                  I've narrowed down to one of the best HT surgeons in India, so that's not of a concern. I don't know when I can get the surgery done, but probably in my early 20s.

I also considered Hair Systems very recently since i started losing more hair. Earlier I wouldn't even think of it because it's "fake", but I'm desperate now. Do I have to shave my head on the top to use a hair system? What about using it after the HT(until the results) like you suggested?

Comment

• DAVE52
                    • Sep 2010

Do I have to shave my head on the top to use a hair system? What about using it after the HT(until the results) like you suggested?
                    I think YES, they need something to glue the piece to .

How 'bout postings pics of your current state . IT's probably not as bad as you make it seem

Comment

• HTsoon
                      • Feb 2016

I don't want to spend my youth balding and depressed with my HL, so i think it would be better to get a HT soon. I know I'd have to get more done in the future since I'll keep losing more hair, but I'll take that into consideration while getting my first one done. I am fine with an adult hairline (1.5 cm above the uppermost horizontal brow) and a slightly receded hairline. Also, I've had pretty low density for like 2 years now and most people couldn't tell because my natural hair isn't fine.
                      I've narrowed down to one of the best HT surgeons in India, so that's not of a concern. I don't know when I can get the surgery done, but probably in my early 20s.

I also considered Hair Systems very recently since i started losing more hair. Earlier I wouldn't even think of it because it's "fake", but I'm desperate now. Do I have to shave my head on the top to use a hair system? What about using it after the HT(until the results) like you suggested?
                      At the end of the day you will do what you want, and there will always be surgeons willing to take advantage of a desperate 20 year old, so I don't know what else to tell you besides getting an HT done is a bad idea. Especially since you say your density is low, this leads me to believe that you are in fact not actually a Norwood 1.5 but rather a diffused thinner, if you are in fact a diffuse thinner, then you are highly at risk for shock loss. Essentially, you could end up looking WAY balder after surgery. Can you post pictures? post some pictures under a light and with wet hair.

Honestly, there is no shame in getting a hair system, what is the difference? women use make up and wear hair extensions is that not fake? what does it matter anyways, if you get a good hair system it's undetectable so who would even know, there is nothing natural about having hair transplants I see no difference. You can not have a hair system while you are waiting for your hair transplant to grow, if you put on a hair system the adhesive will ruin the grafts and you'll have no growth so your plan won't work. My suggestion is to NOT have an HT and instead get a hair system, it's an immediate solution to your problem.

Take a look at this video, if I were in your shoes I would most definitely do a hair system, it's the cheapest, quickest and safest solution
                      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• JeanlucBergman
                        • Nov 2016

Only 2% of those on propecia get side effects. Just take it or get a hair system. You'll be fine on propecia 100%.

Comment

• Rizaan
                          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by JeanlucBergman
                          Only 2% of those on propecia get side effects. Just take it or get a hair system. You'll be fine on propecia 100%.
                          I'm sure it's way more than just 2%. Also a lot of people who don't get sides at first have reported getting them later. Some don't even know they have side effects or just dismiss minor ones until they've spent years taking the drug and it's too late.

Comment

• Rizaan
                            • Dec 2014

Originally posted by HTsoon
                            At the end of the day you will do what you want, and there will always be surgeons willing to take advantage of a desperate 20 year old, so I don't know what else to tell you besides getting an HT done is a bad idea. Especially since you say your density is low, this leads me to believe that you are in fact not actually a Norwood 1.5 but rather a diffused thinner, if you are in fact a diffuse thinner, then you are highly at risk for shock loss. Essentially, you could end up looking WAY balder after surgery. Can you post pictures? post some pictures under a light and with wet hair.

Honestly, there is no shame in getting a hair system, what is the difference? women use make up and wear hair extensions is that not fake? what does it matter anyways, if you get a good hair system it's undetectable so who would even know, there is nothing natural about having hair transplants I see no difference. You can not have a hair system while you are waiting for your hair transplant to grow, if you put on a hair system the adhesive will ruin the grafts and you'll have no growth so your plan won't work. My suggestion is to NOT have an HT and instead get a hair system, it's an immediate solution to your problem.

Take a look at this video, if I were in your shoes I would most definitely do a hair system, it's the cheapest, quickest and safest solution
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLBNFE0jnx0
                            I just took these pics today, and I can't believe how much more hair i've lost. Holy f*cking h*ll i'm way worse than I'd imagined:

dry hair under light:

Wet hair under light:

I knew it was bad under light which is why I used to avoid checking that, but now I feel crushed. Worst case scenario I'll turn bald this year, which is something I thought would happen in my 30s

Comment

• HTsoon
                              • Feb 2016

It was just as I suspected, you indeed have diffuse loss, the least of your worries is your hairline, as you can see the entire top of your scalp is miniaturizing, if you were to do your hairline, you could possibly shock the rest of the thinning hairs out, you'd be left with a hairline and nothing else behind it, needless to say that would not look like a natural balding pattern.

IMO you can either take finasteride and risk the side effects, it could possibly thicken everything up considerably, then wait a few years until you're closer to 25 and get an HT, or you could skip the finasteride and get a hair system that blends in with your sides, those are your choices, getting an HT now with this level of hair loss at your age with no finasteride would be a DISASTER!! DO NOT DO IT!! Trust me being bald is nothing compared to an obvious looking transplant that will leave you looking like a freak.

I really suggest looking in to the hair systems, its your best alternative, although finasteride could work for you, if you don't want to risk side effects then a hair system is the way to go, no side effects no surgical scars, an immediate solution all of these things are big pros for your situation.

Comment

Working...