X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlos Wesley, MD
    IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
    • Nov 2012

PRP and Hair Color

Much is still being discovered regarding the effect of platelet-rich plasma (PRP) on human hair follicles. In our practice, we have observed that, when used as a holding solution, PRP can help increase the survival rate and caliber of transplanted grafts. We've also seen trends towards earlier transplanted hair growth when PRP is used as a graft holding solution.

An additional finding that has also been observed by other practices throughout the world is that PRP can help return some of the original hair color to follicles. PRP appears to stimulate melanocytes in hair follicles which, in turn, may help bring back some of the color to hairs that have become almost transparent over time.

Below, an example of a patient who underwent PRP mesotherapy in our office and a few of the hairs in this image are colorless prior to his treatments and then have more of their original brown coloration about 6 months later.

Carlos Wesley, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

1050 Fifth Avenue
    New York, NY 10028
    844-745-6362
    http://www.drcarloswesley.com
    info@drcarloswesley.com
  • jamesst11
    • Jun 2014

With all due respect, you are posting this on a forum filled with skeptics, especially when it comes to PRP... So, do you have any statistics to back up the claim that PRP influences graft survival? It would be appreciated! We are all very curious about this.

Comment

• Carlos Wesley, MD
      IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
      • Nov 2012

Hi, Jamesst11. Here, is a link to one of the first studies focused on PRP and transplanted graft survival that was published in a peer-review journal in 2005.

Dr. Carlos Ubel in 2005 studied 23 patients of hair transplant after enriching the hair root grafts with PRP and without PRP. Two areas (2.5 cm2) each were marked on the scalp and planted with 20 grafts/cm2. After 1 year, the area implanted with the PRP-enriched grafts demonstrated a yield of 18.7 FU/cm2 versus 16.4 FU/cm2 of that without PRP, an increase in follicular density of 15.7%.
      Carlos Wesley, MD
      Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
      View my IAHRS Profile

1050 Fifth Avenue
      New York, NY 10028
      844-745-6362
      http://www.drcarloswesley.com
      info@drcarloswesley.com

Comment

• Inthemix
        • Sep 2015

Jamesst11- I've read a number of threads where you've commented and you seem real bitter. Try taking a deep breath and relax.

Comment

• Nadia Eira
          • Sep 2023

Thank you for your help. That's what I am looking for. skibidi toilet

Comment

Working...