Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheSwingingGate
    • May 2013

Originally posted by hellouser
    So I wasn't far off when I said that the longer they take, the longer they get to have a job?
    All who gain power are afraid to lose it.

Comment

• burtandernie
      • Nov 2012

I really dont think there is some great conspiracy. Its very time consuming and really complicated. A study finds some piece of the puzzle and its not much help with really solving anything so it takes many years to get anything of value and then you need big pharma to actually make something concrete out of it. It takes that kind of money these days which means there has to be big rewards for it. If it all doesnt work out then nothing happens. I mean that pgd2 thing there are studies on that with like 10 areas of further research. We could spend decades going down all those rabbit holes and it could all lead to nothing. Its that hard to do and its expensive/time consuming. Its not at all amazing MPB is not cured its just not an easy problem
      If all the people wasting money on snake oil bought rogain and propecia to show big sales that would motivate them more then anything to get after better treatments. Why make a topical androgen inhibitor when half of balding men dont even buy the propecia already out? I can see there logic there is more money in acne

Comment

• hellouser
        • May 2012

Originally posted by burtandernie
        Its not at all amazing MPB is not cured its just not an easy problem
        If baldness affected women to the same degree it did with men, as in, horseshoe pattern in their twenties... we'd cure baldness in a year.

If all the people wasting money on snake oil bought rogain and propecia to show big sales that would motivate them more then anything to get after better treatments. Why make a topical androgen inhibitor when half of balding men dont even buy the propecia already out? I can see there logic there is more money in acne
        I think there are a number of reasons that men don't explore serious options against hair loss. I guarantee you though, that the majority of men who DO experience hair loss will first go out and buy snake oil shampoos... anything that has a label with something that says 'promotes hair growth' or whatever bullshit. So, immediately they'll be fooled into thinking its an easy solution. They'll see its not working and won't ask questions or explore other options. Men are basically NOT informed. And there's a reason why... and I'll explain below:

The other MAJOR problem is that seeking treatment is taboo.

If you're a balding man, it's basically an open invitation to public humiliation, criticism, etc. Society has deemed male pattern baldness as hysterical, so anything you do to fight it will be seen as weak and pathetic as well as being frowned upon. So you can't really be open about it because its embarassing and doing so will basically tell people 'yes, i know im balding, im trying to fight it'. Switch gender roles and you'll get overwhelmed with sympathy. A balding man is funny but a balding woman is tragic. Makes no ****en sense at all.

So is it surprising that not only are the working products difficult to get past the snake oil bullshit and when you do get around to them you're ridiculed for doing anything about it? It's like everyone wants us to keep balding and STAY bald. Keep us gimped and let them have all the spoils in life; get more attractive women, be more respected by others, better prospects in jobs, etc.

It's a social problem in my view... one that I blame squarely on society and perhaps the blame lay more so in men as:

a) men ridicule themselves for balding
        b) men have never done a great job to unite and take a stand against the publics perceptions of baldness
        c) men have clearly put womens health as a higher priority than their own; on average women live longer than men by about 6 years!

Ultimately its our responsibility to cure ourselves from this disease... we rarely get empathy and sympathy is even more difficult to get.

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
          • Jun 2013

Men are basically NOT informed. And there's a reason why... and I'll explain below:

If you're a balding man, it's basically an open invitation to public humiliation, criticism, etc. Society has deemed male pattern baldness as hysterical, so anything you do to fight it will be seen as weak and pathetic as well as being frowned upon. So you can't really be open about it because its embarassing and doing so will basically tell people 'yes, i know im balding, im trying to fight it'. Switch gender roles and you'll get overwhelmed with sympathy. A balding man is funny but a balding woman is tragic. Makes no ****en sense at all.

So is it surprising that not only are the working products difficult to get past the snake oil bullshit and when you do get around to them you're ridiculed for doing anything about it? It's like everyone wants us to keep balding and STAY bald. Keep us gimped and let them have all the spoils in life; get more attractive women, be more respected by others, better prospects in jobs, etc.

It's a social problem in my view... one that I blame squarely on society and perhaps the blame lay more so in men as:

b) men have never done a great job to unite and take a stand against the publics perceptions of baldness
          c) men have clearly put womens health as a higher priority than their own; on average women live longer than men by about 6 years!

Ultimately its our responsibility to cure ourselves from this disease... we rarely get empathy and sympathy is even more difficult to get.
          Damn, strong post. 100% agree.

Comment

• moore
            • Jun 2012

If baldness affected women to the same degree it did with men, as in, horseshoe pattern in their twenties... we'd cure baldness in a year.

I think there are a number of reasons that men don't explore serious options against hair loss. I guarantee you though, that the majority of men who DO experience hair loss will first go out and buy snake oil shampoos... anything that has a label with something that says 'promotes hair growth' or whatever bullshit. So, immediately they'll be fooled into thinking its an easy solution. They'll see its not working and won't ask questions or explore other options. Men are basically NOT informed. And there's a reason why... and I'll explain below:

Second that.
            Most individuals think baldness is something you should cope with acritically, no question. And they expect you to laugh about it, too!

The moment a cure will be out, you will see them look at you asking "What are you waiting for? Go get cured".

Comment

• breakbot
              • Feb 2014

So I wasn't far off when I said that the longer they take, the longer they get to have a job? It's like they purposely stagnate progress just to keep themselves employed.

Shouldn't there be some kind of agreement on the grant money being handed out, that only so much will be given based on performance and actual results? They basically have an endless supply of money coming in to do jack shit for '2-5 years'.
              They want to find a cure or a better product. The money for someone who will provide us something better are billions.
              I'm boring having this conversation it's not easy to find the cure.

Comment

• baldozer
                • Oct 2012

What about replicell. Their solution looks much more promising.

Comment

• joely
                  • Sep 2011

From what I can gether replicell should be coming up to half way on phase 2b trials I may be wrong just what I gather from watching their youtube videos! Everything seems a million years away though, unless your a mouse with human foreskin grafted onto your back you can get as mich hair as you want

Comment

• CAlex
                    • Feb 2011

@Joely

I dont think replicel has even begun those trials yet. "RepliCel's RCH-01 Phase II dose-ranging trial of approximately 120 subjects is targeted for the first half of 2014 and will run through 2015. The trial will be conducted in Germany." http://www.berkleyrenewables.com/s/RepliCel.asp

If histogens current phase 1 dose was available today I would 100% go get it done. Even if it only grew you say 5 new hairs /cm2. I think it was shown to strengthen surrounding hairs that were showing signs of miniaturization.

If they released it they would make a killing on that fact alone. Imagine you fly to asia(early versions&2017ish in N.A.) get your set of injections and then fly home replacing having to put minox in everyday, taking fin everyday for 2 years.

I wouldn't care if I had to stay on bi yearly injections for 20 years waiting for a) better treatment b) cure

Comment

• joely
                      • Sep 2011

You may be right, as I say that's just what I picked up havnt looked at it religiously hey ho 3 - 5 years left

Comment

• HairBane
                        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by CAlex
                        @Joely

I dont think replicel has even begun those trials yet. "RepliCel's RCH-01 Phase II dose-ranging trial of approximately 120 subjects is targeted for the first half of 2014 and will run through 2015. The trial will be conducted in Germany." http://www.berkleyrenewables.com/s/RepliCel.asp

If histogens current phase 1 dose was available today I would 100% go get it done. Even if it only grew you say 5 new hairs /cm2. I think it was shown to strengthen surrounding hairs that were showing signs of miniaturization.

If they released it they would make a killing on that fact alone. Imagine you fly to asia(early versions&2017ish in N.A.) get your set of injections and then fly home replacing having to put minox in everyday, taking fin everyday for 2 years.

I wouldn't care if I had to stay on bi yearly injections for 20 years waiting for a) better treatment b) cure
                        2017 for a US release? Think again:

RepliCel’s proposed Phase 2 trial will enroll 160 male subjects in good health with mild to moderate androgenetic alopecia. Dermal sheath cup cells will be isolated from a small punch biopsy taken from the back of the subject’s scalp. These cells will be replicated and then reintroduced into balding areas on the subjects scalp. After injections are performed subjects will return to the clinic for assessment of total, terminal and vellus hair density and cumulative hair thickness, as well safety. Participants will remain in the trial for approximately 39 months.
                        If they were to start this proposed trial today, they would be finishing phase IIb in July 2017, and looking at a potential pan-Asia approval in late 2017-early 2018. Phase III will no doubt be another few years.

Also, they only got around 6% average increase in hair density. Histogen's HSC got about 3x that amount. When it's eventually release it will be a nice little addition to any treatment, but it's not great.

Comment

• CAlex
                          • Feb 2011

@HairBane
                          Sorry I wasnt clear, (just posted the replicel trials timeline in response to an earlier comment) I was referring to Histogen possible 2017 release in U.S.
                          I realize replicel is obviously a further release date than that.

Im PERSONALLY just very excited for histogen because I dont need a huge increase to help me achieve my desired results. If I could get 20 new hairs per cm/2 id be very happy..anything over 40 and Id be fixed

Wish we knew if Histogen was still intending on moving forward with trials and developing this or if they are just going to shelve it.

Comment

• Kiwi
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by ChemicalBrother
                            genuine question - why do you want histogen?
                            (before and after pics have been absolutely dreadful)
                            What planet have you been living on? Their results and photos are fantastic!

Comment

Working...