Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • x33
    • Nov 2013

Shedding after 5 months

I did HT surgery 5 months back. The growth was good uptill now. But now i have started shedding the hair. Anyone else experienced this?
  • Jazz1
    Inactive
    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by x33
    I did HT surgery 5 months back. The growth was good uptill now. But now i have started shedding the hair. Anyone else experienced this?
    From what I read it's normal

Comment

• x33
      • Nov 2013

Aren't you supposed to grow permanent hair at this stage coz the shedding period is upto 2 months postop which are the implanted grafts.

Comment

• Jazz1
        Inactive
        • Aug 2012

Hairs can go through cycles etc, they will come back just don't stress as it can make it worse.

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
          Doctor Representative
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by x33
          Take a close look at the ends of the hairs that fall out. Are they tapered at the end and come to a sharp point, or do the shed hairs have a blunt end like when you cut a hair with a pair of scissors? New growth is indicated by the tapered end. Often times the cut-end hairs just sit there for a while even though they stopped growing. You should remove them or have them removed. You should scrub your head with shampoo on a wash cloth. You can't hurt you grafts by doing that. The more stubborn hairs that don't come out in the shower will pull with tweezers like a needle in hot butter. Transplanted hair once the crusts come off, is not fragile.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
          forhair.com
          Cole Hair Transplant
          1070 Powers Place
          Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
          Phone 678-566-1011
          email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
          The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
          Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Comment

• x33
            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by 35YrsAfter
            Take a close look at the ends of the hairs that fall out. Are they tapered at the end and come to a sharp point, or do the shed hairs have a blunt end like when you cut a hair with a pair of scissors? New growth is indicated by the tapered end. Often times the cut-end hairs just sit there for a while even though they stopped growing. You should remove them or have them removed. You should scrub your head with shampoo on a wash cloth. You can't hurt you grafts by doing that. The more stubborn hairs that don't come out in the shower will pull with tweezers like a needle in hot butter. Transplanted hair once the crusts come off, is not fragile.

forhair.com
            Cole Hair Transplant
            1070 Powers Place
            Phone 678-566-1011
            Majority are the tapering type.

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
              Doctor Representative
              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by x33
              A few questions:

Does your hair appear noticeably thinner? Are you shedding a lot of hair? If so, how many per day do you estimate?

Did you recently begin using Propecia (finasteride) or Avodart (dutasteride)?

Have you started any new medications, over the counter or prescription within the last 8 months?

Any new stress?

Do you eat healthy and exercise?

forhair.com
              Cole Hair Transplant
              1070 Powers Place
              Phone 678-566-1011

Comment

• x33
                • Nov 2013

I had flakes problem first. For that i used an anti Dandruff hair tonic which controlled the flakes but shedding started. Then i stopped it but the shedding continued. Also i guess i may be allergic to minoxidil so i stopped it too a week ago. Apart from this everything else is ok

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
                  Doctor Representative
                  • Aug 2012

Originally posted by x33
                  I had flakes problem first. For that i used an anti Dandruff hair tonic which controlled the flakes but shedding started. Then i stopped it but the shedding continued. Also i guess i may be allergic to minoxidil so i stopped it too a week ago. Apart from this everything else is ok
                  Have you tried using ketoconazole shampoo? Irritation from a yeast called Malassezia can lead to seborrheic dermatitis. Seborrheic dermatitis appears to run in families. Does anyone else in you family have similar flaking?

Article on seborrheic dermatitis

forhair.com
                  Cole Hair Transplant
                  1070 Powers Place
                  Phone 678-566-1011

Comment

• x33
                    • Nov 2013

Yes i used ketoconazole regularly and no one in my family has seborrhoeic Dermatitis

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
                      Doctor Representative
                      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by x33
                      Yes i used ketoconazole regularly and no one in my family has seborrhoeic Dermatitis
                      Your hair shedding is probably just temporary. How many shed hairs approx. are you seeing per day?

forhair.com
                      Cole Hair Transplant
                      1070 Powers Place
                      Phone 678-566-1011

Comment

• x33
                        • Nov 2013

Well i see many while shampooing. Also whenever i sweep my hand over head there are always some hair there. Yesterday i tried applying oil over the hair and it was catastrophic. There were almost 20 to 30 hairs.

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
                          Doctor Representative
                          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by x33
                          Well i see many while shampooing. Also whenever i sweep my hand over head there are always some hair there. Yesterday i tried applying oil over the hair and it was catastrophic. There were almost 20 to 30 hairs.
                          According to an article on the American Academy of Dermatology Website, it's normal to lose between 50 and 100 hairs per day.

Of course that level of hair loss may not be considered normal for a person who already has lost 70% of their hair due to MPB. Did you have minor hair loss before you had your recent HT surgery?

forhair.com
                          Cole Hair Transplant
                          1070 Powers Place
                          Phone 678-566-1011
                          Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 04-21-2014, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• x33
                            • Nov 2013

Yeah i had lost approx 70 percent of my hair.

Comment

• gillenator
                              • Dec 2008

x33,

At five months post-op, your grafts should have all shedded by now yet it sounds by your words that you have a more advanced shed going on, meaning native hair shedding as well?

This could be from the minoxidil use and if you started low dose finasteride, that can potentially commence a shed cycle as well.

Did you ever use minoxidil before your procedure or is the first time using it?
                              "Gillenator"
                              Independent Patient Advocate
                              more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Comment

Working...