Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Randomb
    • Jun 2013

Should I get on Propecia at 19?

Been losing hair since 16. It's been very slow and is only really occurring on my left temple.

I'm now 19.

Having read some horror stories I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet...
    Tbh I'm not too bothered about sexual side effects because I think most men can benefit from this to an extent!

So currently my temple has mostly fuzzy flimsy covering an area which resembles the typical shape of mpb. It hasn't receded much at all but the flimsy hair has an awful outline and reveals my scalp if I pull it back.

I am hoping that if I start propecia perhaps it would freeze the loss and maybe grow back my flimsy thin hairs..

What do you guys think?
  • Mribby1
    • Jun 2013

Definitely yes. Just give it a try and see how you do. Maybe you're part of the 97% who won't experience any sides... Maybe Just bite the bullet and do it, i am also 19 and have am having regrowth on my hairline. Start off small and get a months supply and see how you do. Don't wait will you're a NW3 to get on it.

Comment

• baldymort
      • Jan 2014

Yeah man I would talk to your dr and give it a try. I have had absolutely no side affects and have been on fin for almost 2 months now. If I had started just 6-12 months early my hair would be in so much better shape. I couldn't imagine how much better it would look if I started 2 years ago when I first started noticing the thinning. I took a little bit too long but you don't have to. Post some pictures so we can be sure its actual MPB and not just a maturing hairline because you definitely don't want to be on fin if you're not balding!!

Comment

• Dan26
        • Jul 2012

Definitely give it a shot man. I wish I got on it at 19 but waited until I was 21.

Good luck!

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
          • Jun 2013

The previous 2 guys that responded gave some good advice. I would just like to add that you should see a Dr. that knows about hair loss. Your best bet would be to see a dermatologist. I saw two doctors that told me there was nothing that I could do to save my hair. I wasted years and most of my hair because these a$$holes couldn't just say "I am not sure, let me refer you to another Dr. that specializes in that area".

Comment

• Randomb
            • Jun 2013

Thanks guys I actually did see a doctor and he thought it was the early signs of mpb and has gave me a drug prescription for propecia.. All I have to do now is buy the stuff which I probably will after hearing this advice.

However I think maybe I should wait until my college exams are over so I don't sit them with propecia side effects like brain fog haha it's quite important that I pass.

Mribby can I ask how long have you been on propecia?

And notcool, I'm assuming if you took propecia that would help? I'm confused as to why they would say nothing can save your hair?

Comment

• Randomb
              • Jun 2013

And a pic btw...
              Attached Files

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
                • Jun 2013

I finally did get on propecia(finasteride), but it was 15 years after I first started losing. My doctor didn't even offer it to me. I had to tell him that I wanted to try it and pretty much convince him to write me a prescription for it. So keeping my expectations, I am just using it to keep from going slick bald. I have actually regrown some. I would say I am a diffuse NW3 with crown loss. Have been on it for about 9 months now.

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
                  • Jun 2013

Just saw your pic. That is exactly how I started. Get on that shit today. No not today, leave your computer and pop that shit right now.

Comment

• Randomb
                    • Jun 2013

I bet that must irritate you today, luckily my doctor was quite understanding. At least you're experiencing positive results from it, gives me incentive it give it a shot for sure...

Who knows, maybe in 10 years or so science would have advanced so much that we can clone hair. That would be a dream come true, ahhh

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
                      • Jun 2013

It does irritate me sometimes as a matter of fact. See my last post, haha.

Comment

• Randomb
                        • Jun 2013

I think I need to! What other choice do I have

Comment

• baldybald
                          • Jul 2012

you still writing? go and get propecia ! GO !
                          or you will end up being bald and will suffer till the rest of your life, like me

Comment

• Hector93
                            • Sep 2013

Just want to share my own experience - I am 20 years old and started on 1.25mg generic proscar eod 10 months ago due to a hairline like this. I don't have any significant balding in my family and my dad has more hair than I do at 55 years old.

I experienced negligible sides but really bad frontal, crown and diffuse shedding in the first few months of taking fin which still has not regrown. After the initial shed my hair loss continued at the same/ slightly slower pace but i was definitely losing ground. I changed from generic to brand name finasteride 2 months ago in the hope that it will do more for my hair but it is looking worse than ever.

My advice to you would be to not take finasteride unless you start experiencing thinning of the crown, there are a lot of conflicting opinions on finasteride and frontal hair loss and it just isn't that successful. My own opinion is that everyone is different - but it probably won't help regrow the frontal region unless you are extremely lucky. In combination with minox you might have a better shot than I did but if you don't respond well to finasteride its an uphill battle to even maintain the hair you currently have.

At the end of the day you won't know until you try it - and that's why I took it - but there are some days I wish I just left things to run their course naturally instead of obsessing over temple recession that most guys experience to some degree as they get older.

There are a large number of young men on this forum who are dissatisfied with the results they have had with finasteride and some claim it has made their hair worse. Keep in mind finasteride isn't a wonder drug and you will still lose hair in the long run if you are an average joe responder.

Good luck with whatever you decide but don't rush into anything. Peace.

Comment

• klinko
                              • Jan 2014

Propecia is not that bad! I also turned 19 january and got on it.

You have so much hair left! go save it!

Comment

Working...