Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 25 going on 65
    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by StayThick
    I wouldn't go near either of the poisons. To me it's like deciding to take rat poison or anthrax. Yes, that bad.

Propecia caused gyno (male breasts), weight gain, and all sorts of disturbing sides for me. Took a couple years to get back to normal. All of which indicate how important DHT is to our body, unfortunately it can also cause our hairloss.

I love my hair as much as the next guy on here, but I wouldnt sacrifice everything that makes me a man for the sake of maintaining a few follicles. I truly believe this drug causes sides in every one, just certain people choose to not pay attention or ignore them because they may not be as severe as others.

Terrible drug. Both are disastrous to take, especially long-term.
    DHT after development finishes = balancing estrogen/testosterone lvls (prevents some T from converting to E). In most men this is not a crucial function but you will not know until you take the medicine
    Maintaining a few follicles....how about a few 10s of thousands? Hair loss is the poison, 5-ar inhibs are the antidote

Comment

• renordw
      • Dec 2009

I was just thinking about posting this into a new topic but it seems appropriate here.

I've been taking finasteride since I was 20, and I'm now 29. Recently I've noticed that I am much younger looking than all my friends and I'm thinking it has something to do with the meds. I look much younger now than I did when I was 20.

I have very little body hair, in fact my arm hair is about as thick as a 15 year olds. I have developed minimal nasolabial folds, whereas all my cohort is starting to develop deep wrinkles around their mouth.

I don't sweat very much, I have an exceptionally fast metabolism, and clearly my hair is much better - especially after 3 surgeries. The only draw back is going to the gym it takes me quite a while to develop any significant muscle. In fact I go to the gym every single day, take a ton of supplements, but I really just look fit- not body builder fit like my gym/coworker bud, he does the exact same routine I do.

There may be some slight level of sexual dysfunction, but I truly believe that had I not taken 9 years of propecia I'd be much more depressed and I wouldn't have the self confidence to pull any women. My confidence is really through the roof since my last surgery two years back, and I feel young and able to dominate the world.

Clearly this is all a sample of 1, me, are these side effects common?

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
        Doctor Representative
        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by renordw
        The only draw back is going to the gym it takes me quite a while to develop any significant muscle. In fact I go to the gym every single day, take a ton of supplements, but I really just look fit- not body builder fit like my gym/coworker bud, he does the exact same routine I do.
        Good news about your hair. Unless you are already doing so, give some of the machines a rest and get with a good intense routine using free weights. Years ago, I plateaued on the machines. Once I switched to free weights, dramatic improvement began. Of course, everyone responds differently but I suggest you try including bent arm pullovers in your routine. Try intense circuit training if you're not already. That made all the difference for me.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
        forhair.com
        Cole Hair Transplant
        1070 Powers Place
        Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
        Phone 678-566-1011
        email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
        The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
        Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
          • Jun 2013

Too many guys give the "I love my hair, but my health is more important" speech, but they only say this after they try fin and are unable to stay on the drug because of the sides. They wouldn't be singing the same tune if they were able to tolerate the drug. No matter how much these guys try to convince that everybody gets sides, the fact is they don't. Most of the guys are in fact side free, and have saved their hair.

Comment

• renordw
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Notcoolanymore
            Too many guys give the "I love my hair, but my health is more important" speech, but they only say this after they try fin and are unable to stay on the drug because of the sides. They wouldn't be singing the same tune if they were able to tolerate the drug. No matter how much these guys try to convince that everybody gets sides, the fact is they don't. Most of the guys are in fact side free, and have saved their hair.
            My whole rant was that the side effects are totally manageable, in some cases the "side effects" are positive like the less body hair thing.

Comment

• StayThick
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Notcoolanymore
              That's the biggest BS I have ever seen. The drug has lawyer ads popping on my TV to this day. Give me a break most guys are side free..that's a joke.

I started Propecia at 24 to save my hair. I will preface this my stating, me personally, didn't see any improvement in the least after 12 full months on the drug. Nothing. My hair actually got slightly worse. This was the hardest pill for me to swallow...because I had clear side effects, but no positive hair impact.

I can give 2 donkey poo sticks who takes FIN on this forum or elsewhere. I understood slightly the risks at 24 and decided to roll the dice when considering this drug. Everybody else has that same ability like I did when considering Propecia. Do your due diligence. My only issue is, people need to really understand the potential negative effects of this drug and make a more sound decision. I didn't have all the facts, just new a little and decided what the hell. Well I regretted that mindset for two years as my body fought to get back to normal.

To sit here and say most people don't have sides is asinine. My own pharmacist advised to not take this drug longterm because it could have extremely negative effects over time. My pharmacist? Really? That was a red flag in it's own right.

I don't need to go on Propecia hate websites to read those clowns rants on how bad this drug is. I experienced it. My friends who have tried it, every single one, have quit because of various side effects. They exist. Certain people will acknowledge them and still take the drug. That's a you decision.

Me? The weight gain, belly fat, face fat, puffy nipples (start of Gyno), stuttering issues, muscle mass turning to soft flab, weak erections, watery semen, and no morning erections, and zero improvement in hair was enough to say I made a stupid decision. Even if it brought my hairline down, I would have ceased treatment.

Wish everyone the best. I know many people who get sides from this drug. You wouldn't convince me otherwise based on my real life encounters and people I speak to.

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
                • Jun 2013

Originally posted by StayThick
                That's the biggest BS I have ever seen. The drug has lawyer ads popping on my TV to this day. Give me a break most guys are side free..that's a joke.

I started Propecia at 24 to save my hair. I will preface this my stating, me personally, didn't see any improvement in the least after 12 full months on the drug. Nothing. My hair actually got slightly worse. This was the hardest pill for me to swallow...because I had clear side effects, but no positive hair impact.

I can give 2 donkey poo sticks who takes FIN on this forum or elsewhere. I understood slightly the risks at 24 and decided to roll the dice when considering this drug. Everybody else has that same ability like I did when considering Propecia. Do your due diligence. My only issue is, people need to really understand the potential negative effects of this drug and make a more sound decision. I didn't have all the facts, just new a little and decided what the hell. Well I regretted that mindset for two years as my body fought to get back to normal.

To sit here and say most people don't have sides is asinine. My own pharmacist advised to not take this drug longterm because it could have extremely negative effects over time. My pharmacist? Really? That was a red flag in it's own right.

I don't need to go on Propecia hate websites to read those clowns rants on how bad this drug is. I experienced it. My friends who have tried it, every single one, have quit because of various side effects. They exist. Certain people will acknowledge them and still take the drug. That's a you decision.

Me? The weight gain, belly fat, face fat, puffy nipples (start of Gyno), stuttering issues, muscle mass turning to soft flab, weak erections, watery semen, and no morning erections, and zero improvement in hair was enough to say I made a stupid decision. Even if it brought my hairline down, I would have ceased treatment.

Wish everyone the best. I know many people who get sides from this drug. You wouldn't convince me otherwise based on my real life encounters and people I speak to.
                As far as the lawyer ad comment, that means absolutely nothing. If there is money to be made right or wrong you better damn well believe there will be a lawyer there to cash in.

Most guys are side effect free. Yes see clinical trials. I just don't believe it is just some big conspiracy by merck to sell their propecia and give all guys that use it ED. Maybe I am wrong.

As far as all your friends getting sides. I am sorry I just don't believe it. The internet can be a powerful thing, especially when it comes to starting paranoia. We all know this to be true. Take a look here every day. It is hard to find an introductory thread where a young guy isn't trying to avoid fin because of the horror stories he has read about it online. These guys are shit scared of the drug before they even take it and the minute they feel anything out of the ordinary, fin related or not, they blame the drug. I always find this fact interesting: During clinical trials more people on the placebo quit the drug because of ED, than men actually taking propecia.

I actually did get my prescription filled at the pharmacy and the pharmacist didn't have the same opinion as your. I even flat out asked about ED.

You might have a problem believing that most guys don't get sides because for you they were very real. I have a problem believing most guys do get sides because at 9 months I am side free.

Do I think the drug is perfect? Hell no, and wish I didn't have to take any drug to save what little hair I do have. I just don't agree with the poison statements, but everybody is entitled to their opinion.

Comment

Working...