Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hellouser
    • May 2012

Originally posted by Arashi
    I don't know if that's true. I do know that you're not very good at making a point (saying "just ask scientists" isnt really helpful you know).

Anyway I guess we will know quite soon. Those Taiwanese are starting clinical trials right now and if Jahoda's news is as good as it sounds (we'll know in 3 months), then I'm sure they'll start clinical trials soon too. He already said he was planning that. I have a lot more faith in them than in some anonymous guy on a forum who can't even make meaningful argumentation for his statements.
    Two questions:

1) Who's going to fund the clinical trials?
    2) What would the final protocol be for a treatment? Cell extraction, cultivate and inject back into scalp and DONE?

Comment

• walrus
      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Molten
      For baldness, we have no idea what combination of genes causes it, and there's no reason to think we will anytime soon.
      If you search the literature, several genes have already been identified.

Originally posted by Molten
      Also, there's no reason to think that even if we do, we'll instantly know which genes to manipulate without causing a real permanent damage.
      This is true. Off-target effects are a real risk with any kind of genetic engineering.

However, the more we understand about the underlying mechanisms --- the more potential avenues for treatment we have. It is easier to target the expressed products.

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
        Doctor Representative
        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by greatjob!

I'll leave you with something a genomics professor sent me during my undergrad and has stuck with me for a long time because it seems fitting in this conversation:

Thumbs up for optimism.

Chuck

Comment

Working...