Has minoxidil caused skin aging for any of you guys?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryan555
    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by 25 going on 65
    Thanks everyone for your replies

Can you think of other life changes that might have played a role? Diet, hydration, sleep, skin products, etc?
    None at all. In fact, I stopped it because I have a neurological disease and wanted to go off all medications. By all accounts, I should have aged rapidly given what I have been through physically since I stopped it, but that is not the case. I also stopped propecia a few months prior so that could have something to do with it, but I find that unlikely since nothing changed until after I stopped minox.

Listen, if you guys have what you think is normal aging in your face, then don't worry about it. I had actually been using eye creams for the dark circles and considering having filler injected for the deep mouth creases I had while I was on it, not ever connecting it to minox. I didn't look well. If you look healthy and normal, then don't worry about it. What it did to me was not typical "aging." You'll know the difference if you see it.

Comment

• ryan555
      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by fred970
      You were allergic, and you stuck with it anyway. It's the only reasonable explanation.
      I wasn't allergic. I tolerated it quite well, which is why i never suspected it was causing what i described. Why are you so dead set on being right here? I am far from being the only person to claim it had an effect on their skin. And why would it be so shocking that a drug that was so ridden with dangerous side effects that it is no longer prescribed orally could be mixed with alcohol and propylene glycol and could cause some side effects when slathered on one's head, directly above their face?

Comment

• ryan555
        • Oct 2010

PS, nothing makes you look older than a bald head, so if you're worried about look old, don't stop your meds.

Comment

• greatjob!
          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by greatjob!
          Minoxidil has been found to inhibit gene expression of the enzyme lysyl hydroxylase which is involved in the production of collagen, so it can increase wrinkles and skin aging.

The levels of lysine hydroxylase protein and the levels of the mRNAs for lysine hydroxylase and the alpha- and beta-subunits of proline 4-hydroxylase were measured in cultured human skin fibroblasts treated with 1 mM-minoxidil. The data demonstrate that minoxidil decreases the amount of lysine hydro …

I could post about 20 more.

Comment

• awesome1
            • Oct 2013

I've been on the fence about minox. Currently only dermarolling and keto shampoo, between costs, both time and money, keeping it in your hair basically all day, every day, the decades of commitment or you lose all your gains, random sheds people report every once in a while, and some people's reported side effects, it hasn't sounded too worth it so far.

I'm waiting a few more months on my current treatment to see if much change, is where my head is at.

Comment

• fred970
              • Nov 2009

It's a no-brainer really, everyone suffering from hair loss should get on minoxidil.

It's sad that some people don't even want the treatment we have. They would find something wrong with everything. So many 50+ bald people told me, including my dermatologist: "if only it was available in my time".

Nizoral and dermarolling alone? Not only you won't see gains but you are losing time, the sooner you get on it, the better.

I almost stopped my minoxidil back in 2010 because of all the fear-mongering on the forums (yeah already back then), I'm so glad I didn't.

Comment

• ryan555
                • Oct 2010

It's a no-brainer really, everyone suffering from hair loss should get on minoxidil.

It's sad that some people don't even want the treatment we have. They would find something wrong with everything. So many 50+ bald people told me, including my dermatologist: "if only it was available in my time".

Nizoral and dermarolling alone? Not only you won't see gains but you are losing time, the sooner you get on it, the better.

I almost stopped my minoxidil back in 2010 because of all the fear-mongering on the forums (yeah already back then), I'm so glad I didn't.
                Reporting side effects is not the same as fear mongering. ALL drugs have side effects but hopefully the benefits outweigh the risks. You should definitely stay on minox since you aren't personally experiencing issues. Hopefully you're on propecia too because it's way more effective.

Comment

• greatjob!
                  • Aug 2011

Did you see my post:

Minoxidil has been found to inhibit gene expression of the enzyme lysyl hydroxylase which is involved in the production of collagen, so it can increase wrinkles and skin aging.

The levels of lysine hydroxylase protein and the levels of the mRNAs for lysine hydroxylase and the alpha- and beta-subunits of proline 4-hydroxylase were measured in cultured human skin fibroblasts treated with 1 mM-minoxidil. The data demonstrate that minoxidil decreases the amount of lysine hydro …

I could post about 20 more.
                  It is a real side effect that has been known for a long time. I agree there is a lot of fear mongering, particularly surrounding fin, but this isn't fear mongering it's just educating. Click on the studies above, this is a real scientifically verified fact. For what it's worth I have been on minox for years and plan on staying on it until something better comes along, and believe everyone should consider using it.

Comment

• hairy
                    • Jun 2011

I believe the side effects would be largely limited to the scalp skin, and maybe the forehead skin. With foam, dripping is not a concern any more, and systemic absorption related side effects are unlikely to show up in skin far away from the scalp. My two cents.

Comment

• fred970
                      • Nov 2009

I've grown boobs before, so no I can't take propecia.

Comment

• ryan555
                        • Oct 2010

I've grown boobs before, so no I can't take propecia.
                        Dude, why are you fear mongering? You just think it made you grow boobs, but it was all in your head. Or maybe you were allergic to it.

Comment

• fred970
                          • Nov 2009

I had surgery to remove them, nice try.

Look at how it was all in my head: https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/13/...fter-pictures/

And I have never taken propecia in my life, I got it from other hormone-altering medications.

Can I see pictures of the reversal of your ageing skin now? That's what I thought.

Comment

• awesome1
                            • Oct 2013

Minox seems like a hassle, how are your guys experiences with it?

Comment

• ryan555
                              • Oct 2010

I had surgery to remove them, nice try.

Look at how it was all in my head: https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/13/...fter-pictures/

And I have never taken propecia in my life, I got it from other hormone-altering medications.

Can I see pictures of the reversal of your ageing skin now? That's what I thought.
                              I'm not the one who caused your hair loss and man tits. Drop the attitude.

Comment

• fred970
                                • Nov 2009

You tried to play smart with me, you lost.

Now pictures to prove your claims or your little story doesn't mean anything.

Comment

Working...