Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FrodoBaggins
    • Nov 2013

Am I Balding?

Im 20 years old and in college, have been under extreme stress and many sleepless nights. Noticed my hair has started to thin and wasn't sure if this was because of hereditary balding (my Dad and Mom both had tons of hair until there 40s, so did my grandparents, but not my grandmas brother.) Would appreciate some insight as to what it could be!
    Attached Files
  • win200
    • Jul 2012

It's probably very early MPB. The poster above is right--it's barely there. But you have a choice to treat it now and probably "freeze" your hair loss where it is, or wait until it progresses more before you take action. There's a good chance that you're a very slow receder, in which case this really isn't a now-or-never thing; you have a ton of hair, and you can keep an eye on it for a year, do some research, and think about treatment options. Spend some time on this forum just for the sake of education--BTT is an amazing resource.

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
      • Jun 2013

It looks like you are losing a bit, but like win200 said you shouldn't be in panic mode yet. Document with pics and compare in about 6 months. If you know you are balding then educate yourself. This site is a good resource. A derm who knows about hairloss is another. Learn as much as you can before making your decision.

Comment

• LMS
        • Dec 2012

Looks like the beginning of the end. You have my condolences.

Comment

• FrodoBaggins
          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by win200
          It's probably very early MPB. The poster above is right--it's barely there. But you have a choice to treat it now and probably "freeze" your hair loss where it is, or wait until it progresses more before you take action. There's a good chance that you're a very slow receder, in which case this really isn't a now-or-never thing; you have a ton of hair, and you can keep an eye on it for a year, do some research, and think about treatment options. Spend some time on this forum just for the sake of education--BTT is an amazing resource.
          what treatment options would you recommend?

Comment

• FrodoBaggins
            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Notcoolanymore
            It looks like you are losing a bit, but like win200 said you shouldn't be in panic mode yet. Document with pics and compare in about 6 months. If you know you are balding then educate yourself. This site is a good resource. A derm who knows about hairloss is another. Learn as much as you can before making your decision.
            Is there a chance that this is simply a maturing hairline?

Comment

• win200
              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by FrodoBaggins
              It could be, but based upon the pattern at the temples, my guess is MPB.

Comment

• win200
                • Jul 2012

what treatment options would you recommend?
                I've had great success with minoxidil and Propecia. Propecia is, hands-down, the most valuable tool at your disposal. Minoxidil (Rogaine) and other options are useful as adjuncts to Propecia, but without Propecia as a foundation, they aren't worth much.

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
                  • Jun 2013

Yeah it is possible. That's why it is a good idea to take pics and just keep an eye on it. If it is more than a mature hairline then it should eventually stop. If is doesn't, time to take action.

Comment

• FrodoBaggins
                    • Nov 2013

Originally posted by win200
                    I've had great success with minoxidil and Propecia. Propecia is, hands-down, the most valuable tool at your disposal. Minoxidil (Rogaine) and other options are useful as adjuncts to Propecia, but without Propecia as a foundation, they aren't worth much.
                    Does Propecia have any side effects? Is there a recommended age?

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
                      • Jun 2013

Does Propecia have any side effects? Is there a recommended age?
                      If you really don't know the answer to this and are considering taking Propecia, let me give you some advice. Log out now and don't do anymore research on Propecia or sides. Talk to a dermatologist about Propecia and let him or her answer all of your questions. You will be making a mistake if you chose to find answers to this online.

Comment

• FrodoBaggins
                        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Notcoolanymore
                        If you really don't know the answer to this and are considering taking Propecia, let me give you some advice. Log out now and don't do anymore research on Propecia or sides. Talk to a dermatologist about Propecia and let him or her answer all of your questions. You will be making a mistake if you chose to find answers to this online.
                        Im def planning on setting an appointment soon. Taking drugs would be my last resort. Hair grafting would be out of the question, id rather go bald. Thankfully I can grow facial hair to substitute Are there any all natural hair promotion methods?

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
                          • Jun 2013

Im def planning on setting an appointment soon. Taking drugs would be my last resort. Hair grafting would be out of the question, id rather go bald. Thankfully I can grow facial hair to substitute Are there any all natural hair promotion methods?
                          I don't think there are any all natural products to regrow hair. Fin, dut, minox, and ketoconozal is all we have at this point. Some experimentals, but I wouldn't call them natural.

Comment

• akai
                            • Dec 2012

Personally, in my uneducated opinion I wouldn't start finasteride until you're 21 and have stopped growing. Your dermatologist would be better at addressing that. I will say that most people on here who take it (myself included) wish they would have started it earlier. It's most effective at slowing down or stopping hairloss. Regrowth is the icing on the cake and typically only happens in the crown area. So the earlier you start, the better.

To put it simply if you're balding you either:

A)Research your options and start treating it.

B)Deal with it and let it progress naturally.

If you decide to do "A" do not put it off.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...