Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • baldymcgee
    • Mar 2013

Rahal/Adamo/ARTAS

I have been watching Dr. Rahal's work and website for a while and have seen that his first ARTAS patient (Adamo) stopped posting updates:

Can anyone close to Rahal/Adamo comment? How is he doing?
    Last edited by Winston; 09-15-2013, 07:12 AM. Reason: False commentary removed.
  • topcat
    • May 2009

The phenomenon of very regular posters who seem to disappear often at times when it seems to make the least sense is an interesting one.

Comment

• baldymcgee
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by topcat
      The phenomenon of very regular posters who seem to disappear often at times when it seems to make the least sense is an interesting one.
      For some posters, I can totally understand them "moving on". Maybe things turned out peachy and they stopped worrying about their hair/appearance. I'd totally understand that and bless them and their surgeons for getting them to the point where they can move on.

But certainly some of the "disappearing acts" must be because of unacceptable results.

And this is a good thing -- every time I gear myself up for a transplant I come across another vanished poster. It should serve to remind everyone that even the *best* surgeons/clinics *will* have procedures with poor yield or growth or other measures of success.

I'm not saying this is what happened to Adamo. I have no idea and I, for one, hope he posts something tomorrow (in that lovely Quebecois accent) apologizing for the delay and showing us great results.

But surgeries fail and we *all* need to be reminded of that especially when the industry doesn't share any of its statistics.

Oh well, I guess it's back to praying for Follica/Histogen/Bimatoprost for me

Comment

• gillenator
        • Dec 2008

I have observed this for over a decade. In my experience, most of the people that I have heard from do move on with their lives post procedure. They are happy and do not look back for the most part, at least not until they experience more loss in the future. In subsequent procedures, they generally know what to do unless there have been significant changes within the field.

Most of the guys that I hear from do not post but they do read and they do their research. Sometimes I will look at the number of people that are surfing a community at any given time and there are always far more folks reading the forums compared to the number of active posters.

Yes it's true that many of those with unacceptable results simply give up and blame themselves for ever having the procedure. I mean who wants to come public (even if they hide their identity) and show their poor results. It's very sad and I do hear from some of them.

Many guys are still be swayed by local media advertising campaigns promoting no name doctors with cheap graft prices. They put their ads in the main circulations especially the sports section and the hair mills continue to promote their infomercials. One of the largest chains is right now offering $1,000 discounts to the public. Some things never change.

And it is true that even the best HT doctors get a poor result every now and then. Most of the bad results however are from sub-standard or new doctors learning HT surgery.

Things are improving overall compared to ten years ago.
        "Gillenator"
        Independent Patient Advocate
        more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Comment

• gillenator
          • Dec 2008

Is it possible to PM Adamo? I don't remember him or if he posted in this community.
          "Gillenator"
          more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Comment

• baldymcgee
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by gillenator
            Is it possible to PM Adamo? I don't remember him or if he posted in this community.
            He did have his procedure on Sept 28 last year, so it's entirely possible that he is waiting for the full 12 months to pass before posting.

Then again he did promise a 9-month update...

Speculation isn't helpful so we should probably stop doing it

Comment

• baldymcgee
              • Mar 2013

Bump.

Since Adamo's procedure was partially ARTAS driven, should we be worried about ARTAS-based procedures with other surgeons as well?

Comment

• baldymcgee
                • Mar 2013

Thought I'd post a followup -- looks like Adamo's procedure went pretty well:

He seems to be shaving the very front of his hairline to create a more "square hairline" appearance.

Looks pretty good though -- not "outstanding" but he is dealing with a pretty large area (as I am ).

Might be nice to get him here for a reddit-style AMA, does anyone know him?

Comment

• rev3
                  • May 2012

looks like he got good graft survival rate from ARTAS

but not sure about the placement

looks like that forelock the patient shaved is not going anywhere soon

maybe a "V" shape should have been done with receded temples

that can always be done in a second pass, no problem

glad this machine worked out for the patient as he was the first in the clinic

Comment

• topcat
                    • May 2009

Looks good, as long as the patient was made aware of his options and this was an informed decision that is what's important. Everyone is entitled to all the information regardless of if it's hair transplantation or cancer.

I think most in the industry would agree with the quote from Robotic Hair Restoration Advance Follicular Unit Extraction” by Rashid M. Rashid. .

“ Currently, no robotic device can do the skilled work that a qualified doctor can do with a handheld extraction device”

Although many praises were included in the book for the system repeatedly this one in the middle of the book stood out as it was only mentioned once.

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
                      Doctor Representative
                      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by gillenator
                      Many guys are still be swayed by local media advertising campaigns promoting no name doctors with cheap graft prices. They put their ads in the main circulations especially the sports section and the hair mills continue to promote their infomercials. One of the largest chains is right now offering $1,000 discounts to the public. Some things never change.

And it is true that even the best HT doctors get a poor result every now and then. Most of the bad results however are from sub-standard or new doctors learning HT surgery.

Things are improving overall compared to ten years ago.
                      There are quite a few ways to botch a transplant. Bad results seem generally more subtle these days.

Yesterday's consult wants to repair pitting and today's patient has rows of strip scars. Neither patient is a severe case, but any kind of scarring or unnatural result can make most men feel self conscious.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
                      forhair.com
                      Cole Hair Transplant
                      1070 Powers Place
                      Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
                      Phone 678-566-1011
                      email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
                      The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
                      Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Comment

• agenteye
                        Inactive
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by rev3
                        looks like he got good graft survival rate from ARTAS

but not sure about the placement

looks like that forelock the patient shaved is not going anywhere soon

maybe a "V" shape should have been done with receded temples

that can always be done in a second pass, no problem

glad this machine worked out for the patient as he was the first in the clinic
                        The last I heard, Adamo was very happy with his restoration, and yet I don't know that he had planned to have a second procedure. He addressed the frontal and mid-scalp, which was of the biggest concern to him. It definitely made a very tremendous and positive change for his look…..and his lack of posting was just because he's out enjoying life!! I echo what others say about getting to the point where posting regularly just happens to wane a bit once the hair starts growing. I'll see if I can get any updates from the clinic and will let the forums know! Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend!

Best,

Mike

Comment

• topcat
                          • May 2009

Agenteye it’s amazing how there can be views on some aspects of hair transplantation that can be so different, for instance posting to forums. It’s been my experience that many fail to come back to post at the 12 month mark and have lost their initial excitement not because of the fear of waning on but because of so many others issues. I guess maybe I have just spoken to too many patients from various clinics to not believe this to be true.

I’m sure many have moved on and are very pleased with their result as you state for this patient but I don’t think we can take a blanket statement like patients just move on and believe it applies to everyone it would simply not be accurate.

Good to hear this patient is doing so well.

There was a seminar not too long ago in the UK on how purchasing a robotic system for hair transplantation can turn one’s business into a million dollar operation. I’m not sure if that is going to happen but it sure does sound exciting as long as it is the best option for the patient. The patient’s welfare should stand above all else.

Congratulations on this outcome.

Comment

• gillenator
                            • Dec 2008

From my experience, most guys move on with their lives after the procedure and never return to the forums because in their eyes, there is no need to, at least not until they need another procedure...
                            "Gillenator"
                            more.hair@verizon.net

Comment

• topcat
                              • May 2009

There are those in this industry that can only hope everyone moves on so that their work can go on unhindered. For some us that would be equivalent to leaving some behind in a burning building without making an effort to help them get out by showing them the way, unconscionable……… a foreign concept to many but seems to be a common trait among too many who work in this industry.

Comment

Working...