X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HealthyStealthy
    • Sep 2013

Wish I could afford a hair transplant

Hello everyone,
    I am a 53 year old unemployed man who has a bit of thinning that drives me mad. I always had fantastic hair. Now it's graying which is okay, I guess. But the thinning in the back really bugs me. It's not getting worse but it still bugs me. When I grow my hair longer it's easy enough to cover up this spot.

Does anyone know a good doctor in the Northern, NJ area who could do a hair transplant? About how much would it cost to correct my spot? Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Attached Files
  • DesperateOne
    • Jul 2013

You don't need a freaking transplant, just buy some dermatch and be gone.

Comment

• HealthyStealthy
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by DesperateOne
      You don't need a freaking transplant, just buy some dermatch and be gone.
      Really??

Comment

• Tracy C
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by HealthyStealthy
        Does anyone know a good doctor in the Northern, NJ area who could do a hair transplant? About how much would it cost to correct my spot? Any suggestions?
        Many ethical doctors will not recommend having a hair transplant to fill in that spot. Technically that spot is a "black hole" for grafts and attempting to fill it in via hair transplant surgery is often a waste of grafts. This area is the area that responds best to the current proven medications. You should talk to your doctor about that and try treating it with these meds for at least 12 months.

Comment

• Tracy C
          • Sep 2011

Really??
          Yes, you can easily conceal that thin spot with Dermmatch while you are treating it - or if you decide not to treat it.

Comment

• HealthyStealthy
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Tracy C
            Many ethical doctors will not recommend having a hair transplant to fill in that spot. Technically that spot is a "black hole" for grafts and attempting to fill it in via hair transplant surgery is often a waste of grafts. This area is the area that responds best to the current proven medications. You should talk to your doctor about that and try treating it with these meds for at least 12 months.

http://www.americanhairloss.org/
            What kind of medications?

Comment

• Thinning87
              • Dec 2012

Hello everyone,
              I am a 53 year old unemployed man who has a bit of thinning that drives me mad. I always had fantastic hair. Now it's graying which is okay, I guess. But the thinning in the back really bugs me. It's not getting worse but it still bugs me. When I grow my hair longer it's easy enough to cover up this spot.

Thanks
              This post is an insult to all of us who are losing a lot more hair a lot earlier in our lives.

You're 53, how can some thinning drive you mad? Are you making fun of us with this post? You've had your years with hair, stop whining and have some respect.

Comment

• fred970
                • Nov 2009

I'm completely bald at 23, how am I supposed to react to a post like this?

You should have read the forum before insulting us real sufferers.

Comment

• HealthyStealthy
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by fred970
                  I'm completely bald at 23, how am I supposed to react to a post like this?

You should have read the forum before insulting us real sufferers.
                  I am sincerely SORRY for any pain I caused. I sincerely did not intent to. Please accept my apology.

Comment

• HealthyStealthy
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Thinning87
                    This post is an insult to all of us who are losing a lot more hair a lot earlier in our lives.

You're 53, how can some thinning drive you mad? Are you making fun of us with this post? You've had your years with hair, stop whining and have some respect.
                    I do not mean to offend anyone.

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
                      • Jun 2013

Yeah your hair loss isn't as bad as many on here. At least you made it to your 50's with no more than crown loss, which you could probably even get back with just minoxidil. Most of us here have been dealing with this crap since our early 20's, so some might get offended when somebody a little older comes in here complaining about a little crown loss.

Butttttt, this is a hair loss forum, so you should be welcome here no matter what degree of hair loss you have.

I wouldn't even mess with a transplant with just that small amount of crown loss. Finasteride or at the very least try minox on your crown.

Comment

• HealthyStealthy
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Notcoolanymore
                        Yeah your hair loss isn't as bad as many on here. At least you made it to your 50's with no more than crown loss, which you could probably even get back with just minoxidil. Most of us here have been dealing with this crap since our early 20's, so some might get offended when somebody a little older comes in here complaining about a little crown loss.

Butttttt, this is a hair loss forum, so you should be welcome here no matter what degree of hair loss you have.

I wouldn't even mess with a transplant with just that small amount of crown loss. Finasteride or at the very least try minox on your crown.
                        Is minoxidil the same as Rogain?

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
                          Doctor Representative
                          • Aug 2012

Hello everyone,

Thanks
                          Dang, I wish I had your hair!! Anyway, try Rogaine. It may thicken things up a bit. Later you may want to try an ACell/PRP stand alone treatment. It won't grow new hair but in some patients, it thickens the hair shaft diameter of existing hair.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015, 05:08 PM.

Comment

• Buster
                            • Jul 2012

Is minoxidil the same as Rogain?
                            Yes. Rogaine is the brand name of Minoxidil.

Comment

• swingline747
                              • Apr 2013

Originally posted by 35YrsAfter
                              Dang, I wish I had your hair!! Anyway, try Rogaine. It may thicken things up a bit. Later you may want to try an ACell/PRP stand alone treatment. It won't grow new hair but in some patients, it thickens the hair shaft diameter of existing hair.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
                              Cole Hair Transplant
                              1045 Powers Place
                              Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
                              Phone 678-566-1011
                              Please feel free to call or email me with any questions.
                              all the prp patients before and after shots just look like they combed it.
                              The before is wet and clumpy and the after is just combed over.

As for you at 53 just use FIN the sides wont even be relevant.
                              I WISH I could have that head of hair now and Im half your age. FIN sides were to strong for me tho.

Comment

Working...