X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 22able
    • Feb 2013

22 - Rogaine results pic - Advice needed

Introduction:
    Hi. I have been thinning since around 16 starting from temples and only in the last year or so has my hair loss really started to affect me. To cut to the chase, I started using rogaine last september, applying it everywhere that I had a visible loss of hair. This picture is old and doesn't reflect my hairs current state. My hair is also severely parted in this photo to give an indication of the extent of loss.

On the left is my hair after using rogaine only for 2-3 months (had a big shed) and on the right is rogaine only around 5 months. I can see a visible difference however I feel that this is now the peak of the benefits I will get from this treatment (in at around 8 months now) and my hair starts to feel thin again despite continuing with the same amount and application of rogaine (perhaps shedding more hairs again?).

Question
    My next option is Propecia and this is what I have questions about. I have a 2 month subscription of tablets which were prescribed by my doctor. I intend to try this drug but only after my upcoming exams as I will not be under as much mental pressure. My question is, should I try the quarter pill i.e .25mg approach for a month to let my body adapt to the drug and then up the dosage appropriately over time if needed? I have read a LOT on the side effects of this drug and feel like I already have some of these 'symptoms' of side effects without having ever even touched the drug before. Additionally, do you think with my current state of loss that propecia would even benefit me? At the moment with my hair brushed over normally there is still visible thinning but I can 'cover' my head. From the results i've seen and the rate at which my hair loss has progressed (coming up to my 7th year) I feel as though there may be a chance to fill in a lot of gaps? Also, I feel like my loss pattern is a bit weird compared to a lot of other men, I still have very thin hair on my visible hair line but not as much 'naked' recession as most men tend to get immediately.

More background:

I've not been in a relationship for 3 years and my last one ended very badly. Have lost major confidence with women and my general appearance. I don't want propecia to magnify those feelings, however I feel like if it works and there's no symptoms of effects then it could be the best decision i've made. Since my break up I have not even shared intimate contact with any girls and i'm not an ugly guy, my hair used to get me a lot of attention. I haven't had a great desire for sex in that time because of how shit I feel about my appearance and this has caused me to gain weight. Sorry for the sob story, I just feel like after reading a lot of posts from other guys on here I needed a response that was more personal.

Thanks in advance.

• Shan
    • Feb 2013

If you're worried about side effects of Fin and you already suffer without taking them then i do not advise that you begin the meds as you could attribute all the psychological sides and blame Fin.
    Even though i think Fin is definitely what you need if you want to save your hair.
    Bro you're 22, buzz your hair and begin medication. If my hair was like yours thats exactly what i would do.

Comment

• 22able
      • Feb 2013

That is my dilemma, I feel like I would but at the same time maybe that would also let me disregard the pill effects because i'd think it was all in my head anyway? Sorry if that's confusing. Also, do you mean go really short for a while and start Propecia to see if there's an improvement over time? thanks.

Comment

• Shan
        • Feb 2013

I mean bro you're 22, you'd look so much better if you buzzed your head, instead of what you have.
        Buzz it and let Fin and Min do its magic

Comment

• clarence
          • Sep 2012

With a decent head shape like yours, why you being a hippie. You'd do much better if you buzzed down the sides and back, even if you wanna go longer with the top, am I wrong?

Comment

• 22able
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by clarence
            With a decent head shape like yours, why you being a hippie. You'd do much better if you buzzed down the sides and back, even if you wanna go longer with the top, am I wrong?
            I don't understand what you mean. Please note this is with my hair extremely parted I want to know if the areas are too bald to get decent recovery with propecia. Cheers

Comment

• bald nick 41
              • Apr 2013

fin: Any good?

Originally posted by Shan
              If you're worried about side effects of Fin and you already suffer without taking them then i do not advise that you begin the meds as you could attribute all the psychological sides and blame Fin.
              Even though i think Fin is definitely what you need if you want to save your hair.
              Bro you're 22, buzz your hair and begin medication. If my hair was like yours thats exactly what i would do.
              Hi all!! I am new here and quite desperate.-Just got divorced and finally decided to do something for myself! Since my problem is quite similar and I have never done anything up until now-(I am 41 y.o)
              Do you think there is any point in starting fin ? Or should I opt for a transplant directly? Thank you in advance for your reply!

Comment

• drybone
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by 22able
                I don't understand what you mean. Please note this is with my hair extremely parted I want to know if the areas are too bald to get decent recovery with propecia. Cheers
                Hey dude. Thanks for putting up the photos.

I suggest you consider a hair system . Look into it. Or you can buzz your hair down really short.

There is even guys getting a tattoo that makes them look like they have a full head of hair if they shave it close.

Check out these options.

Comment

• clarence
                  • Sep 2012

I mean your hair style, those long sides. Buzzing the sides - just the sides - with the trimmer tends to look great, unless your ears are humongous.

As for propecia... If you're very lucky, I guess yeah. A lot of guys are lucky just to keep what they have with the drug.

Comment

• 22able
                    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by drybone
                    Hey dude. Thanks for putting up the photos.

I suggest you consider a hair system . Look into it. Or you can buzz your hair down really short.

There is even guys getting a tattoo that makes them look like they have a full head of hair if they shave it close.

Check out these options.
                    I'm not sure i'd be interested in a tattoo. I have the option of a transplant when I am old enough, however I feel I will probably end up down the NW6 line so that may not even be an option. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

• drybone
                      • Dec 2012

I'm not sure i'd be interested in a tattoo. I have the option of a transplant when I am old enough, however I feel I will probably end up down the NW6 line so that may not even be an option. Thanks for the advice.
                      Dude. Look into a hair system. At age 22 its a good move. Many of them look very realistic.

This is what you can do. Try this first.

1) you can use rogaine to try to keep what you have or even gain a small amount.

2) go get yourself some dark brown or black 'dermmatch. It will take your hair and make it 4 times as thick.

http://www.dermmatch.com/

As an added bonus, what I do is also add 'Caboki' which also will then add more thickness

http://www.caboki.com/index.html

And this should make your hair look like a 22 year old. But to avoid having to do this every day still look into the hair system. Especially the ones that can add thickness behind the hairline.

You have options dude.

Comment

• clarence
                        • Sep 2012

Don't forget a variety of hair transplant options. Too many NW6-7 guys are stupid and think they're gonna try to get coverage for the entire head. Having a transplant for just part of the head (even when you're younger, although I would advise planning this for a longer time), such as your forelock or your crown - but not both! - will give you pretty decent coverage in that particular location, and then you'll just have to wait for new treatments to deal with the rest. Waiting sucks, I know, but you're very young, so... relax a bit.

Comment

• 22able
                          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by clarence
                          Don't forget a variety of hair transplant options. Too many NW6-7 guys are stupid and think they're gonna try to get coverage for the entire head. Having a transplant for just part of the head (even when you're younger, although I would advise planning this for a longer time), such as your forelock or your crown - but not both! - will give you pretty decent coverage in that particular location, and then you'll just have to wait for new treatments to deal with the rest. Waiting sucks, I know, but you're very young, so... relax a bit.
                          True, I am young and that is mainly the reason why I want to try and stop this in its track at present. I think I will end up trying propecia. I intended to take it until I could pursue a transplant (25) but perhaps longer if it is okay and I don't have any side effects. Hopefully by this time more treatments will be available but i'm not optimistic. Thanks again!

Comment

• 22able
                            • Feb 2013

Apologies for the thread bump but does anybody think that Propecia would give me any regrowth at this stage? (given that minox has given me some). Also what pattern would you say I was at on the scale? thanks.

Comment

• PatientlyWaiting
                              • Jan 2011

Apologies for the thread bump but does anybody think that Propecia would give me any regrowth at this stage? (given that minox has given me some). Also what pattern would you say I was at on the scale? thanks.
                              You will not know unless you try consistently for an entire year+.

All I can say is the combination of Propecia and Rogaine consistently for an entire year is the best thing you can do for your MPB right now. The sooner you start, the better.

Comment

Working...