7th World Congress for Hair Research (2013)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hellouser
    • May 2012

Originally posted by Desmond84
    You could be right Hellouser I stand corrected
    I used to think the same since I always thought 100 hairs/cm2 is great density. Technically it is, its about 40 grafts/cm2. Still not enough though for complete restoration, which if were the case, to cover a complete bald head, NW6/7 is about 250-300cm2. Thus, 250 * 90 (grafts) = 22,500 grafts required for a total of 56,250 individual hairs.

We're still a loooong way from a complete cure, but what bothers me is that even if Dr. Lauster decided to release his findings for a suitable treatment, imagine how many holes you'd end up with on your head and the limitation for dense packing. Thus, Tsuji's injections of complete stem cells would dodge this problem entirely giving without the need for an intensive graft-by-graft procedure.

Comment

• Desmond84
      • Oct 2012

Uh dude, I think you nailed it on the head! That is exactly why I've been rooting for Tsuji all along! Once we have the right medium to culture millions of these stem cells, Germ cell implantation will be the way to get full density back!

But as some have mentioned, we still don't have human data on the Tsuji technique, which got me worried as well! We just have to wait and see I suppose

But, I personally have a lot of hope in Tsuji

Comment

• hellouser
        • May 2012

Uh dude, I think you nailed it on the head! That is exactly why I've been rooting for Tsuji all along! Once we have the right medium to culture millions of these stem cells, Germ cell implantation will be the way to get full density back!

But as some have mentioned, we still don't have human data on the Tsuji technique, which got me worried as well! We just have to wait and see I suppose

But, I personally have a lot of hope in Tsuji
        I don't think its completely out of reach though, suppose there were some advancements made with transplants in terms of inserting grafts into the scalp allowing for greater density? Perhaps smaller tools and bump up density to about 80 grafts/cm2? Right now I think Gho's limitation is about 55-60 grafts/cm2. Thats not too shabby, and the only procedure I'd be willing to go with; scarless, regeneration at least to some degree (speculation included), but a guarantee of 80% regeneration. Pricey, but having a better life is priceless.

Comment

• Kirby_
          • Jan 2012

Wait, we could, might be getting topical finasteride as an OTC product?! That'd be pretty big news in itself...

Comment

• Ted
            • May 2011

Originally posted by Kirby_
            Wait, we could, might be getting topical finasteride as an OTC product?! That'd be pretty big news in itself...
            And since the serum levels of DHT will decrease by the same amount as with propecia I guess the sides will be the same

Comment

• Kirby_
              • Jan 2012

That's still good for people who can tolerate fin, or are losing ground after long term usage. The extra reduction in scalp DHT would certainly help keep hair afloat until something properly better (CB?) comes along.

Comment

• hellouser
                • May 2012

Originally posted by Ted
                And since the serum levels of DHT will decrease by the same amount as with propecia I guess the sides will be the same
                No.

This is only true if the vehicle for it is strong enough to dissolve finasteride into such a molecular weight that it passes skin and makes it into the bloodstream.

As long as it does NOT get into the bloodstream, there shouldnt be any side effects.

Comment

• Ted
                  • May 2011

Originally posted by hellouser
                  No.

This is only true if the vehicle for it is strong enough to dissolve finasteride into such a molecular weight that it passes skin and makes it into the bloodstream.

As long as it does NOT get into the bloodstream, there shouldnt be any side effects.
                  Well it says that the serum levels decreased by the same amount so I guess it makes it into the bloodstream or am I missing the definition of serum level?

Comment

• hellouser
                    • May 2012

Originally posted by Ted
                    Well is says that the serum levels decreased by the same amount so I guess it makes it into the bloodstream or am I missing the definition of serum level?
                    It doesnt have to make it into the blood stream. What would be the point of having it as a topical then? The reason for it is to reduce side effects. DHT would would be decreased at the follicle and nowhere else. But like I said, if it passes into bloodstream, and depending on amount, THEN its a problem.

Comment

• Thinning87
                      • Dec 2012

Hey guys,

I've got more news for you guys about the upcoming talks at this year's Hair research congress. Some you already know, some you don't and will blow your mind! So here it goes:

1) Aderans: Prof. Kurt Stenn will be updating us on what Aderans has been up to. (To correct myself, Aderans did attend this congress once before which was in France back in 2010. Many of you guys may have seen the video. This is their second appearance since then and surprisingly is being conducted by its Chief Scientific Officer rather than CEO)

2) Histogen: Gail Naughton will be presenting HSC's final Phase I/IIa results! (Very exciting)

3) Replicel: Dr. McElwee will be presenting their 12-month interim safety results of a phase 1/2a trial (Remember how they were not going to update us till 24 months was up! Well looks like they've changed their mind! Maybe they've got some good news!)

4) Topical Finasteride Formulation: The swedes have come up with P-3074 which is a Finasteride 0.25% topical solution mixed with hydroxypropyl-chitosan (HPCH) which is a film-forming agent. They compared using this solution (once daily) with 1mg oral finasteride once daily and what they saw was mind boggling!!! Topical reduced scalp DHT by 71% whereas oral reduced it by 51%. Furthermore, serum DHT was reduced by about the same in both groups!!!

5) CG210: Japanese scientist have come up with a modified botanical treatment that when combined with Finasteride (in patients using fin for more than 3 years) increased the hair diameter by 37% compared to those who used fin alone!

6) Systemic growth factor (SGF) treatment: Korean scientists have been busy testing Systemic growth factors (SGF) composed of β-fibroblast growth factor (β-FGF), vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), and insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1). They got 10-15% increase in hair density in HUMAN trials!!!

May is going to be a monster of a month

Let's hope we get a glitter of hope in these dark times...I'll be updating you guys if I find out anymore...

We are now 3 weeks away!

Cheers to all my balding brothers and sisters.

Love you all

- Des
                      Sorry Desmond, I like you but I feel like you should be a lot more cautious when talking about Histogen. We don't know if they are going to present their results, it makes sense that they might and we can almost assume they will, but there are no official or unofficial sources that they intend to, it's just our speculation.

Let's not build expectations from what we speculate that might happen (this applies to Aderans too). Because they might just as easily repeat the same speeches we've heard many times before.

Comment

• hellouser
                        • May 2012

Originally posted by Thinning87
                        Sorry Desmond, I like you but I feel like you should be a lot more cautious when talking about Histogen. We don't know if they are going to present their results, it makes sense that they might and we can almost assume they will, but there are no official or unofficial sources that they intend to, it's just our speculation.

Let's not build expectations from what we speculate that might happen (this applies to Aderans too). Because they might just as easily repeat the same speeches we've heard many times before.
                        I dont see a reason why any of these companies would be at such a conference without having something to show. What else would present? Its all about hair.

Comment

• Arashi
                          • Aug 2012

I dont see a reason why any of these companies would be at such a conference without having something to show. What else would present? Its all about hair.
                          Histogen is pretty certain:

May 8 - 11, 2013
                          Edinburgh, Scotland
                          Histogen to present "Embryonic-like cell-secreted proteins induce hair growth in a phase I/II trial in male pattern baldness".

However, regarding Aderans its far from certain that it will present trail results. It's going to be a discussion, not a presentation of trial results it seems.

Comment

• Thinning87
                            • Dec 2012

We don't know that Histogen will add soimething to what they have already published about their results. Hopefully they will give us results over a longer period of time, and of course inform us that they will move to phase 2B/3.

However they also need a licensing agreement with a big company so they can fund further development, and use their sales and marketing infrastructure to launch the product. This is what Dr, Naugthon said 5 months ago, and no agreement regarding HSC has been made public at this time.

Aderans, well they probabably will just repeat what they say at every conference, and not give us enough details to really hope in them so much

Comment

• hellouser
                              • May 2012

Originally posted by Thinning87
                              We don't know that Histogen will add soimething to what they have already published about their results. Hopefully they will give us results over a longer period of time, and of course inform us that they will move to phase 2B/3.

However they also need a licensing agreement with a big company so they can fund further development, and use their sales and marketing infrastructure to launch the product. This is what Dr, Naugthon said 5 months ago, and no agreement regarding HSC has been made public at this time.

Aderans, well they probabably will just repeat what they say at every conference, and not give us enough details to really hope in them so much
                              All the more reason for them to keep quiet and for the conference to gain as much exposure as possible. If they say anything prior, a lot less people will be tuned in during and after. Totally defeats the purpose of a conference and releasing information at a proper time. What would be the point to say what theyre going to talk about (giving a clear indication about their results) before theyve dedicated themselves to the set date? Its like youre expecting them to release info before they release info. We'll know soon enough.

Comment

• Thinning87
                                • Dec 2012

The point is now that they show something. The point is whether they will show something new.

Aderans has shown us the same stuff for God knows how long. And Histogen might just show us the same results they advertised in November.

Why? Because they are looking for funding and business development opportunities.

Comment

Working...