Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • baldozer
    • Oct 2012

Thickness of gray hair

My head and beard hair have started to gray and I notice that their texture is different than the normal pigmented hair. I'm curious to know if the thickness of gray hair is more or less than that of the normal pigmented hair.

Secondly, if someone gets beard hair transplanted to his head, and those beard hair turn gray, would a normal hair dye be able to color them?

EDIT
    Doing a bit of research, I have found this article that says that white hair is indeed thicker than colored hair.

Expression of genes and proteins associated with active hair growth is upregulated in white (nonpigmented) hair compared with black (pigmented) hair. These results suggest that hair greying is associated with active hair growth.

At least, now I have something to smile about my graying hair !
  • MackJames
    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by baldozer
    My head and beard hair have started to gray and I notice that their texture is different than the normal pigmented hair. I'm curious to know if the thickness of gray hair is more or less than that of the normal pigmented hair.

Secondly, if someone gets beard hair transplanted to his head, and those beard hair turn gray, would a normal hair dye be able to color them?

EDIT
    Doing a bit of research, I have found this article that says that white hair is indeed thicker than colored hair.

Expression of genes and proteins associated with active hair growth is upregulated in white (nonpigmented) hair compared with black (pigmented) hair. These results suggest that hair greying is associated with active hair growth.

At least, now I have something to smile about my graying hair !

I went almost completely grey by 32. My hair became courser. Occasionally I color my hair. What I've discovered is that female hair dye works better than just for men. If you have a little grey, just for men will work fine.

Comment

• konfusion
      • May 2012

yes, grey is definitely thicker! I also have some greys here and there and their number is getting higher every day so at least I am optimistic about that, I wish all of my hair turns into grey over night!
      btw how old are you?

Comment

• UK_
        • Feb 2011

I'd love a full NW1 head of grey hair.

Comment

• baldozer
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by konfusion
          yes, grey is definitely thicker! I also have some greys here and there and their number is getting higher every day so at least I am optimistic about that, I wish all of my hair turns into grey over night!
          btw how old are you?
          I'm 32.

10char

Comment

• Dr. Glenn Charles
            IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
            • Nov 2008

I also have some patients with very thin gray hair. I have seen thing go both ways when hair is tuning gray. (Thick to thin and finer to more coarse )
            Dr. Glenn Charles
            Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
            View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

• baldozer
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Dr. Glenn Charles
              I also have some patients with very thin gray hair. I have seen thing go both ways when hair is tuning gray. (Thick to thin and finer to more coarse )
              Age must be the factor here. Younger guys must have coarse white hair while older guys thin white hair.

Comment

• Dr. Glenn Charles
                IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
                • Nov 2008

There may be some truth in that. However, there are exceptions to every rule.
                Dr. Glenn Charles
                Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
                View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

• drybone
                  • Dec 2012

Interesting.

I have lots of grey hair and seems to be exactly the same coarseness as my light brown hair.

So I guess to each his/her own one size may not fit all.

Comment

Working...