Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StayThick
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by dannyfc
    At what point after quiting should side effects normally subdue? I'm at 10 days now and am getting worried.
    10 days? It took 8 months for me to start getting back to normal. Any earlier than that and I would consider yourself lucky.

Propecia is a powerful drug bro. I'd give it a month or so to start seeing things "slowly" get back to normal...my 2 cents.

Comment

• dannyfc
      • Jun 2012

**** man, is there anything that'll accelerate the process?

Comment

• unk
        • Sep 2011

I would always suspect it's better to taper off, what's the risk in that?

After 10 days you still have some DHT inhibition doh! so no you aren't "fixed" yet.

Comment

• dannyfc
          • Jun 2012

I scaled down the amount I took from 1mg to 0.5mg a day a while ago. Then went to about 0.5mg a week recently. Haven't taken any in a fortnight now.

Was literally shaking with anxiety last night contemplating what I may have done to my body. I start a new job in October so really need to be back to baseline by then.

Keep trying to maintain my composure, tell myself I'll just throw myself into going to the gym to build up testosterone etc. til then, im physically sick with worry right now. Getting about 2/3 hours sleep.

Will get to the doctors on Monday and see what can be done. Will beg and plead as I know the NHS just dismisses cases like this if they feel its self-inflicted.

Ironic thing is i dont even care about my hairloss now.

Comment

• unk
            • Sep 2011

Can't you see that your reaction to the situation is likely your downfall? The placebo effect works both ways buddy, you want to stress the hell out of adrenals? guess what happens, your body gets sick. Calm down, do fun things. You certainly aren't helping yourself.

Comment

• chrisis
              • Feb 2012

Keeping this thread updated as to my progress.

So far I've:
              • Seen 2 doctors. First was totally useless.
              • Had 2 blood tests
              • Been to the clinic a total of 5 times

On my last visit the doctor confirmed my bloods came back fine so I finally got my wish - a referral to an endocrinologist in April.

I then returned from my hair transplant this week to two letters. The first was a message from the endocrinology department of my hospital, informing me that my appointment had been "cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances".

No information was provided as to why or whether it would be rescheduled. A further letter from my surgery requested I book a follow up appointment with my usual GP "to discuss this further".

Wondering if anyone has any idea about what might be going on here? Am I about to get fobbed off? And what are my options if I do?

Comment

• Tiger norwood's
                • Jul 2012

Chrisis you are a reasonable guy, no extreme statements, no angry towards other people because of your side effects, and no over-exaggeration of what harm propecia has done to you. I firmly believe that you are speaking the truth about your sides not being psychological, and that is why you need to find a good doc who will take you seriously regarding this issue. There are some docs who knows significantly more about fin sides, than your regular docs, these are the ones you need to get in touch with.

Here is a review from a post on hairlosshelp.com It refers to a list doctors who has a good understanding of how this drug can affect the body.

1. Review www.propeciahelp.com including the Post Finasteride Syndrome section

2. Participate in Dr. Irwig's study on persistent Finasteride side effects so we can get this problem reported on and INVESTIGATED to find a cure.

3. If you require treatment, review DOCTORS section on Propeciahelp.com (within Post-Finasteride Syndrome) and consider seeing those listed. My recommendation is Dr. Alan Jacobs, Neuroendocrinologist in New York. He is very interested in our problem and seems to have a good understanding of the drug's effects:

Solo practice in clinical neuroendocrinology. Providing expert care for patients with anxiety, mood swings, seizures, migraines, and more.

A Neuroendocrine Approach To Finasteride Side Effects In Men

The Plot Thickens, Along With The Hair, When You Mess With Dihydrotestosterone

Those are my recommendations. I'm in same boat as you, as are many others before me.

Comment

• chrisis
                  • Feb 2012

Thanks Tiger!

I try my best to let my story just speak for itself. It's hard sometimes to control the frustration and anger, especially when denial and resentment comes from within the hair loss community itself. As for support? Forget it. The only time the topic comes up it's to talk down the risk of sides and highlight positive anecdotes. Negative experiences are routinely dismissed as "forum talk" and we're told they're a skewed representation of the truth. I've even read people try to sell Propecia as actually increasing libido and helping you build muscle. It's scandalous.

I know a guy (not on the forum) who is consulting with a prominent doctor in London, so I'm keeping in touch with him and seeing how far I get with with the NHS. If they do fob me off it will be like a red cloth to a bull.

I will check out your links and keep this topic updated.

Comment

• stamina123
                    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by chrisis
                    Thanks Tiger!

I try my best to let my story just speak for itself. It's hard sometimes to control the frustration and anger, especially when denial and resentment comes from within the hair loss community itself. As for support? Forget it. The only time the topic comes up it's to talk down the risk of sides and highlight positive anecdotes. Negative experiences are routinely dismissed as "forum talk" and we're told they're a skewed representation of the truth. I've even read people try to sell Propecia as actually increasing libido and helping you build muscle. It's scandalous.

I know a guy (not on the forum) who is consulting with a prominent doctor in London, so I'm keeping in touch with him and seeing how far I get with with the NHS. If they do fob me off it will be like a red cloth to a bull.

I will check out your links and keep this topic updated.
                    Must suck to be getting sides from fin...

Im almost 3 weeks in with fin and feeling tip top - I love this drug.

Comment

• chrisis
                      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by stamina123
                      Must suck to be getting sides from fin...

Im almost 3 weeks in with fin and feeling tip top - I love this drug.
                      3 weeks isn't really long enough to assess; mine kicked in around 2 months. I hope you don't experience sides but I think it's early days to proclaim your love for this drug.

Comment

• Diesel15
                        • Jan 2013

Hey Crisis. I know that you get a lot of flack on these boards from time to time when you bring up the possible sides related to Fin. I certainly appreciated your willingness to share your experience and your story was probably the most compelling reason that I did not jump on the Fin bandwagon immediately when I started experiencing hair loss. After much contemplation and research I have started taking Fin and so far I have not noticed any sides though I'm only at 35 days thus far. I've been watching your thread with great interest and I think I speak for a lot of the members here in wishing you well and hoping for a complete recovery.

Comment

• chrisis
                          • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Diesel15
                          Hey Crisis. I know that you get a lot of flack on these boards from time to time when you bring up the possible sides related to Fin. I certainly appreciated your willingness to share your experience and your story was probably the most compelling reason that I did not jump on the Fin bandwagon immediately when I started experiencing hair loss. After much contemplation and research I have started taking Fin and so far I have not noticed any sides though I'm only at 35 days thus far. I've been watching your thread with great interest and I think I speak for a lot of the members here in wishing you well and hoping for a complete recovery.
                          Thank you Diesel! Much appreciated! It can't harm to think twice, and I respect your decision. I hope you have much success with it.

Comment

• Diesel15
                            • Jan 2013

No worries my friend. I'm sure it gets frustrating at times dealing with some of the hate thrown your way but I think that your experience is a very important cautionary example for a lot of us.

Just out of curiosity, have you experimented with any dietary changes to see if that might have an impact? I'm by no means a doctor or nutritionist but I started eating a Paleo diet about 4 months ago after doing some research and have noticed a substantial improvement in my overall health and energy levels.

Comment

• stamina123
                              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by chrisis
                              3 weeks isn't really long enough to assess; mine kicked in around 2 months. I hope you don't experience sides but I think it's early days to proclaim your love for this drug.
                              Nah, i'll be fine.

Mind over matter, positive mental attitude. For me to lose interest in sex, it takes quite alot....
                              Oh and, im almost 30, im no kid.
                              When i was early twenties i remember that once i didnt perform for this girl i met (Performance Anxiety), however, i blamed everything from Brown Rice to Seroquel.
                              Turns out, it was just what it was....sexual anxiety...
                              Since then, ive matured and have less hangups, nothing will ever decrease my libido.
                              No offense, but, its all in your head.
                              Have a nice day,
                              Bye.

Comment

• chrisis
                                • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Diesel15
                                Just out of curiosity, have you experimented with any dietary changes to see if that might have an impact? I'm by no means a doctor or nutritionist but I started eating a Paleo diet about 4 months ago after doing some research and have noticed a substantial improvement in my overall health and energy levels.
                                I've worked on my fitness and noticed no change. Diet, hadn't considered too much but I suppose anything is worth a try. If I'm truly honest, I believe it will either take a lot of time, or a medical intervention. My experiences so far suggest suggest I should have more faith in the former than the latter.

Originally posted by stamina123
                                No offense, but, its all in your head.
                                Have a nice day,
                                Bye.
                                Offence taken. You dismiss something you have no experience of, but at least you illustrate the type of criticism I deal with as outlined by Diesel. Good luck.

Comment

Working...