Realistically, are we going to see true regrowth in the next decade?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • baldingormature
    • Jul 2012

Realistically, are we going to see true regrowth in the next decade?

Hey all,

I'm a 22 year old fellow who's having a hard time dealing with his significant hair loss. I've looked at Minox/Propecia, and have decided not to go for it. (I really don't want any kind of permanent side effects)

I recently shaved my head to help get around it, but am not a fan of the look at all. (wish I had just kept my super long hair which hid the receding hairline really well)

I've been observing this forum for about 3 or 4 months, and it seems like no-one can really, truly "get behind" any of these cures. I wanted to know your guys' honest feelings:

Do you truly feel as though hair loss will be reversed in the next ten years?
  • rdawg
    • Jun 2012

Yes,for a variety of reasons.

However, I dont believe we are guarenteed FULL regrowth, as in NW7-NW1, but I think at least partial regrowth(bumping up a nw level, and/or regaining the density on thinning/vellus hair which histogen apparently does) will be available in the next 5-7 years.

BIM would be the next one up for release in NA I believe, it's on the verge of being approved for the next phase.

Histogen has proven at least some growth, but it's in the 2nd tinkering stage, so it's very possible it may gain even better growth as time passes, and this is without any of the other current products(for example, mixing it with the use of Fin and Minox may cause even better results!)

other than that there are early positive signs of PGD2 inhibition doing something, although most products are in phase 1 or early phase 2 trials, so it's a bit early to tell.

Ultimately, my point is with science growing so fast, and them getting closer and closer to finding a solution, only better results will come, it's not like fewer products will be released, we will continue to get more solutions for this.

Educated guess wise, I'd say you will have some of your hair back by around 2016-2017, which is around the time BIM, Histogen and possibly PGD2 product will be released.(the fact that any new product will be approved is huge, it's been i believe 15 years, since propecia in 1997, was approved.).

EDIT: In the mean time it would be smart of you to try and halt the hairloss currently, with either fin or a more grey market solution, as it may save you money down the line or mean that you can gain even more later on.

Comment

• Oct 2011

Originally posted by rdawg

Histogen has proven at least some growth, but it's in the 2nd tinkering stage, so it's very possible it may gain even better growth as time passes...
      No, this absolutely untrue. Where is the real "proof" ?

Comment

• mjolnir
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by 534623
        No, this absolutely untrue. Where is the real "proof" ?
        I believe they're called numbers.

Comment

• hellouser
          • May 2012

Dr. Roland Lauster already has the cure. The real question is this:

How much longer are FDA approvals and other governing bodies going f*ck us in the ass until a solution is allowed to hit the market?

Comment

• Nerve
            • Nov 2012

Originally posted by rdawg
            Yes,for a variety of reasons.

However, I dont believe we are guarenteed FULL regrowth, as in NW7-NW1, but I think at least partial regrowth(bumping up a nw level, and/or regaining the density on thinning/vellus hair which histogen apparently does) will be available in the next 5-7 years.
            Do they believe Histogen is going to be able to help a receding hairline?

Comment

• elnino
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by baldingormature
              Hey all,

I'm a 22 year old fellow who's having a hard time dealing with his significant hair loss. I've looked at Minox/Propecia, and have decided not to go for it. (I really don't want any kind of permanent side effects)

I recently shaved my head to help get around it, but am not a fan of the look at all. (wish I had just kept my super long hair which hid the receding hairline really well)

I've been observing this forum for about 3 or 4 months, and it seems like no-one can really, truly "get behind" any of these cures. I wanted to know your guys' honest feelings:

Do you truly feel as though hair loss will be reversed in the next ten years?

i think people should be concerned years down the line that other shouldnt have to go go through MPB. there could be a cure but i think that we as in "us" should be dealing with the present, there is no cure yet, if your not prepared to use whats out there now, id rather not pin your hopes on some cure years down the line. finasteride and minox, theres no other proven meds. i had to get over my fear of sides to save the mane i have now.

Comment

• Artista
                • Apr 2010

Just to add to Hellouser's comment-
                "In December 2010, scientists at the Berlin Technical University in Germany revealed they have grown the world's first artificial hair follicles from stem cells. Research leader Roland Lauster said within FIVE YEARS millions of hair-loss sufferers could grow new hair from their own stem cells and have it implanted into their bald spots. He also announced that preparations for clinical trials were "already in motion"

Comment

• Arashi
                  • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Artista
                  "In December 2010, scientists at the Berlin Technical University in Germany revealed they have grown the world's first artificial hair follicles from stem cells. Research leader Roland Lauster said within FIVE YEARS millions of hair-loss sufferers could grow new hair from their own stem cells and have it implanted into their bald spots. He also announced that preparations for clinical trials were "already in motion"
                  Personally I have the most faith in team Tokyo ( http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0418095011.htm ) . They said they think it will take them about 10 years to have an FDA approved product on the market.

Other than that, of course Aderans is showing great progress as well ..

Comment

• Dazza
                    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Artista
                    Still waiting for those trials.

Comment

• Arashi
                      • Aug 2012

But realistically, yeah of course, I would be VERY surprised if there isn't a cure in 10 years. Only since this year, there are people walking around with stem cell generated organs like a Trachea ( http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellnes...9#.ULjTtKxQXnk ). Scientists in Berlin and Tokyo managed to create bio-engineerd hair follicle's. Aderans is showing regrowth using stem cells ...

Yeah I know, some negative people say "but 10 years ago everybody was convinced we'd have a cure within 10 years too". Sure but 10 years ago, we were still 10 years away from the above. We're getting close, it's damn easy to see.

Comment

• Artista
                        • Apr 2010

@Arashi yes that too, "team Tokyo" is another one to keep a close eye on.
                        And I also agree with your words here>
                        "We're getting close, it's damn easy to see." <that comes from using logic.

Comment

• Alf
                          • Jul 2012

Want to know how compundable aderans is before I answer.

Comment

• mjolnir
                            • Jan 2012

To paraphrase Gene Roddenberry, in ten years, no one will care. Or at least that would be the ideal solution.

But yeah, there will probably be something. If absolutely nothing else, there will be a 'vaccine', which admittedly won't help most of us, but we can be happy that no one else will have to go through this.

Comment

• hellouser
                              • May 2012

Originally posted by mjolnir
                              To paraphrase Gene Roddenberry, in ten years, no one will care. Or at least that would be the ideal solution.

But yeah, there will probably be something. If absolutely nothing else, there will be a 'vaccine', which admittedly won't help most of us, but we can be happy that no one else will have to go through this.
                              We? Why would we, the current sufferers be happy about getting the shaft?

Comment

Working...