Realistically, are we going to see true regrowth in the next decade?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • inspects
    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Dan26
    Finasteride will remain a drug that only a portion of hair loss sufferers are willing to take. *Remember, a very small percentage as it is even seek help*
    Then, there is the small number of men who it affects adversely. Unfortunately, it is not as easy as having a healthy lifestyle or raising your testosterone. It has negatively affected some peoples lives. And it has improved a lot of peoples lives. If we are being honest with ourselves, the small risk is probably not worth the cosmetic benefit, and we deserve a much better solution.
    Hi Dan,

Oh believe me I understand there should be a different solution to hair loss, unfortunately there isn't any other FDA approved drugs at the moment which work with such success. Its not for people with bald heads, but for people just beginning hair loss its nothing short of a miracle.

There is a large percentage of people posting on this forum who are at the early stages of loss, I wish I would have known about this product 10 years ago, but I didn't do any research for hair loss. If it has adverse affects a person should stop using the product, but most don't even try it.

For the people who become severely depressed or have other side effects they deem significant I would have to believe they probably have other underlying psychological issues which haven't been dealt with.

Hair loss at a young age can impact a persons life tremendously as we all know, Propecia needs to be taken regularly to work. We have people reading all the horror stories rather than all the positive ones, many jump to the conclusion its not working, they have side effects, or its not for them.

From Wiki.org

Finasteride
    Propecia (finasteride) 1 mg tablets

Finasteride (marketed by Merck under the trade names Propecia and Proscar) is a type-2 isoenzyme 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor .

It was originally FDA approved for treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and works by binding to 5-alpha-reductase, the enzyme responsible for the conversion of free testosterone to DHT.

Merck sought to find the smallest effective quantity of finasteride and test its long-term effects on 1,553 men between ages 18 and 41 with mildly to moderately thinning hair. Based on their research, 1 mg/day was selected, and after two years of daily treatment, over 83% of the 1,553 men experiencing male hair loss had actually maintained or increased their hair count from baseline. Visual assessments concluded that over 80% had improved appearances.[16]

In 1997, finasteride was approved by the US FDA for the cazhual treatment of male pattern anal baldness. A 5-year study revealed that 9 of 10 men taking finasteride (1 mg/day) experienced visible results (42% of men taking Propecia experienced no further hair loss while 48% experienced no further hair loss and hair regrowth).[17] In clinical studies, finasteride, like minoxidil, was shown to work on both the crown area and the hairline area, but is most successful in the crown area.[18]
    In my case Propecia combined with Minoxidil have made a very significant improvement with no side effects. I have to rate the products with an A+.

I pray there will be help available besides Hair Transplants for people in the higher Norwood groups, there probably will be in the next ten years.

Comment

• Dan26
      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by inspects
      Hi Dan,

Oh believe me I understand there should be a different solution to hair loss, unfortunately there isn't any other FDA approved drugs at the moment which work with such success. Its not for people with bald heads, but for people just beginning hair loss its nothing short of a miracle.

There is a large percentage of people posting on this forum who are at the early stages of loss, I wish I would have known about this product 10 years ago, but I didn't do any research for hair loss. If it has adverse affects a person should stop using the product, but most don't even try it.

For the people who become severely depressed or have other side effects they deem significant I would have to believe they probably have other underlying psychological issues which haven't been dealt with.

Hair loss at a young age can impact a persons life tremendously as we all know, Propecia needs to be taken regularly to work. We have people reading all the horror stories rather than all the positive ones, many jump to the conclusion its not working, they have side effects, or its not for them.

From Wiki.org

In my case Propecia combined with Minoxidil have made a very significant improvement with no side effects. I have to rate the products with an A+.

I pray there will be help available besides Hair Transplants for people in the higher Norwood groups, there probably will be in the next ten years.
      I see your point. My suggestion, as Spencer says himself, is to do your own due diligence before making a decision. Of course we are not all medical doctors able to discern between pertinent and fabricated information, but in terms of the horror stories, there is definitely some truth there. There are many factors to take into consideration like you said ie underlying problems. It is important to note the exclusion criteria in the clinical trials. These were 'healthy' men, most of which were middle aged.
      I am skeptic by nature, and I believe there is a lot that is not understood by the medical community about the actual affect the drug has on the body. Plus, stuff like this just makes me more skeptical of big pharma and the FDA lol ---> http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...3_DNL_artNew_1
      Sadly, just as you wished you had been on the drug 10 years ago, there are thousands of people who wish they were fully informed about the drugs potential harm before it changed their life for the worse.

Comment

• inspects
        • Aug 2012

Sadly, just as you wished you had been on the drug 10 years ago, there are thousands of people who wish they were fully informed about the drugs potential harm before it changed their life for the worse.
        And life goes on.....

Comment

• inspects
          • Aug 2012

Makes me wonder about the folks posting their own "Witches Brew" ingredients for loss, now that concerns me what may occur down the road....

Comment

• Hair Bear
            • Feb 2012

Perhaps I should clarify what I meant...
            I define a cure as a permanent solution to a lifelong problem, in that respect I expect a real cure to be like a magic pill (for a lack of a better term) which should not be confused with a treatment which is taken for a long term with varying or minimal positive results (minox, fin) besides of which if they were so great we wouldn't be on here discussing the future and as such I sincerely hope minox and fin have no part in.

There is no point in speculating in the future really because we hardly know whats going on in the present time in terms of future treatments, products, compounds etc as every company is acting in a non transparent manner which is hardly surprising.

If these people would actually work together rather than against each other we may have had a cure long ago by now.

Comment

• Dan26
              • Jul 2012

And life goes on.....
              For you perhaps. Not as easily said for the small subset of men with a condition that doctors don't even know how to treat effectively.

Comment

• inspects
                • Aug 2012

For you perhaps. Not as easily said for the small subset of men with a condition that doctors don't even know how to treat effectively.
                Dale said
                Makes me wonder about the folks posting their own "Witches Brew" ingredients for loss, now that concerns me what may occur down the road....
                I think you should have quoted the second reply, rather than the first, much more important, people are making their own concoctions with no past medical background or real knowledge of what their ingesting or long term health affects.

Propecia has some known side effects for a very small majority of people, other chemicals on this forum people are using have no known history of what may occur to them down the road, now that is scary.

Cheers,

-Dale-

Comment

• Dan26
                  • Jul 2012

Dale said

I think you should have quoted the second reply, rather than the first, much more important, people are making their own concoctions with no past medical background or real knowledge of what their ingesting or long term health affects.

Propecia has some known side effects for a very small majority of people, other chemicals on this forum people are using have no known history of what may occur to them down the road, now that is scary.

Cheers,

-Dale-
                  I didn't quote it because I agree with you! Although, I think your may be implying that anyone who goes outside of 'approved' treatments to fight their hair lost is misguided.
                  With regards to long-term health effects, that could be said about tons of things in medicine. Even Spencer himself took finasteride at a young age before it was approved for hair loss. I'm sure you can understand why the people who are unsuccessful with finasteride turn to the 'grey market' area of solutions, and why they are willing to try them. The 'Grey Market' is a broad spectrum, and of course there are a lot of people out there taking risks they shouldn't. The ones that interest me specifically are the ones with comprehensive studies or that are currently in clinical trials.
                  I'd be happy to expand on anything in this post if you are curious/interested!
                  Like anything, it takes a lot of time, research, asking the right questions, talking to the right people etc, before actually making decisions.

Comment

• neversaynever
                    • Dec 2011

Aderans have shown regrowth after just one injection, histogen claim to have amazing re-growth, replicel had a tiny bit of regrowth (might improve might not).

Its already happening. Dont know what all this other talk is, but I think regrowth is definately with us in the near future. Just have to hang onto whatever hair you have until then (easier said then done).

Comment

• neversaynever
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Alf
                      Want to know how compundable aderans is before I answer.
                      +1

If aderans is compoundable, i think its the biggest news to hit our balding heads for a long long long time. Histogen im not sure. They just quoting numbers and I cant see any improvment in their macro shots. I hope they come though.

Comment

• inspects
                        • Aug 2012

Like anything, it takes a lot of time, research, asking the right questions, talking to the right people etc, before actually making decisions.
                        Oh I agree, consult with a Doctor...!

Comment

• Dan26
                          • Jul 2012

Oh I agree, consult with a Doctor...!
                          Ahaha, way ahead of ya man! The trick is finding the right doctor. Most are useless when it comes to hair loss.

Comment

• inspects
                            • Aug 2012

Ahaha, way ahead of ya man! The trick is finding the right doctor. Most are useless when it comes to hair loss.
                            Oh, again, believe me, I know...I'm trying to help others...!

Comment

• Dan26
                              • Jul 2012

Oh, again, believe me, I know...I'm trying to help others...!
                              Me too man! We are here to learn and share information. Health and safety comes first. If there is one message I could get across to people on here that I hope sticks, it would be the that baseline blood, hormone and semen analysis tests are a must for anyone choosing to use hormone therapy to fight hair loss. And to anyone else using alternative methods, always air on the side of caution.

Comment

• Scientalk56
                                • Nov 2012

Hello every1,
                                I can't say i'm new to this forum, i've been reading every post here for the last year. so i'm technically an old member. lol
                                Anyway, there's something i still don't understand - if histogen can regrow hair on temples - isn't that some kind of getting nw?(1-7) - to - nw 0 ? maybe it wont be thick hair with good density, but any kind of regrowth in the temples area is a huge success and some kind of getting back to norwoord 0? isn't it?

Comment

Working...