Bald Truth Talk - Hair Loss, Hair Transplant and Hair Restoration Community  

Go Back   Bald Truth Talk - Hair Loss, Hair Transplant and Hair Restoration Community > Men's Hair Loss > Introduce Yourself & Share Your Story
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
Obama2012

Default Need hair loss advice.

Hi, I'm 33 and have been fighting hair loss for about 7 years. It's to the point now where it is starting to become more noticeable then what I'm comfortable with. I have been using Rogaine for about 5 years, and Propecia for about 2. I experimented with DS Laboratories Spectral products, which I'm starting to believe are little more the snake oils. I am interested in trying Acell + PRP Injections. I have been to two different hair loss clinics. One charges $1500 the other $2300. One Doctor told me they offer the service but hasn't see any evidence that PRP + Acell injection are effective. The other believes they are effect at stopping hair loss and at thickening little miniaturized hairs, but couldn't guarantee any results. Have any of you had any luck with PRP + Acell, or any other treatments? Is it possible to shed hair daily but still gain ground by growing more then is shedding? Any advice would be appreciated.
Obama2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:43 AM   #2
Still-Researching

Are you still loosing hair on Propecia? What is your dose?
The jury is still out on PRP/Acell - would personally not spend 2300 USD on this at this point. I paid a little extra to get Acell treatment as part of my FUE HT and not sure it made a noticeable difference.

The big 3 - Minox + FIN/Propecia + Nizoral is what you can use at this point, anything else is hoping. Ofcourse you can go to a top doc and get a HT as well, but that is a lot more radical.

Keep researching and you will slowly make up your mind. The best way to put it behind you is to get a short hair cut and continue to try the big 3.

Good luck.
Still-Researching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
ryan555

I've had 5 PRP treatments over the past 2 years since quitting both propecia and minoxidil. Four of these treatments were with Dr. Greco in Florida and the other one was the PRP + Acell combo with another doctor. I guess it's impossible to tell for certain, but I feel that Dr. Greco's treatments have been more beneficial than the ones including the Acell.

I do believe that the PRP works. Two years after stopping all hair loss meds cold turkey, I still have a full, thick head of hair, minus a little bit of thinning in my hairline. Further, I recently had a hair loss map done using macrophotography, and there was very little miniaturization on my scalp. Every time I get these treatments, it definitely improves the quality and thickness of my hair for several months. Dr. Greco is also less expensive. I think he charges about $800 for new patients.
ryan555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan555 View Post
I've had 5 PRP treatments over the past 2 years since quitting both propecia and minoxidil. Four of these treatments were with Dr. Greco in Florida and the other one was the PRP + Acell combo with another doctor. I guess it's impossible to tell for certain, but I feel that Dr. Greco's treatments have been more beneficial than the ones including the Acell.

I do believe that the PRP works. Two years after stopping all hair loss meds cold turkey, I still have a full, thick head of hair, minus a little bit of thinning in my hairline. Further, I recently had a hair loss map done using macrophotography, and there was very little miniaturization on my scalp. Every time I get these treatments, it definitely improves the quality and thickness of my hair for several months. Dr. Greco is also less expensive. I think he charges about $800 for new patients.
yeah right... what's the exact science behind his treatment? Why exactly do the follicles become DHT resistant?
2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
ryan555

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
yeah right... what's the exact science behind his treatment? Why exactly do the follicles become DHT resistant?
There is science behind it. Go read it on his site if you're interested. Anyway, I am telling you that it has undoubtedly helped me and I am not taking any drugs at all.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan555 View Post
There is science behind it. Go read it on his site if you're interested. Anyway, I am telling you that it has undoubtedly helped me and I am not taking any drugs at all.
any before and after pictures you could show us?
2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
ryan555

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
any before and after pictures you could show us?
If I did have photos I would not share them with strangers on the internet. I was on fin and minoxidil before I had PRP and so there was no detectable hair loss. And now, two years later, I have pretty much the same hair, minus the tiny bit of recession I mentioned. If you're implying that I am somehow incentivized to promote PRP, I can assure you that you're wrong. Go back and read my old posts if you're interested in my story. I could care less if anyone tries PRP or not. I am just sharing my experience with someone who asked.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
Obama2012

Thanks for the advice. Propecia hasn't helped stop fall out, but the diameter of my hair has definitely increased. I have been on one mg daily. Just last week I up the dosage to 2.5mg. If I don't see any benefits for the increased dosage, I'm going to talk to my doc about switching to Avodart.
Obama2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #9
unk

Obama, I'm certainly no expert, but can I ask what prompted you to up your dose? From what i've gathered here at the forums, doses above 1mg are considered somewhat risky and elicits no greater effect. Just looking out for you bro.

James
unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
Tracy C

I believe Mr. Spex made a post a while back about increasing the dose by taking the small dose twice a day about 12 hours apart instead of only once a day. This made sence to me because I take my Spiro in smaller doses twice a day instead of one large dose once a day.
Tracy C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acell, acell matristem, propecia, prp, rogaine