Bald Truth Talk - Hair Loss, Hair Transplant and Hair Restoration Community  

Go Back   Bald Truth Talk - Hair Loss, Hair Transplant and Hair Restoration Community > Men's Hair Loss > Hair Loss Treatments > Cutting Edge / Future Treatments > Histogen's Hair Stimulating Complex (HSC)
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
hairysituation

Default What does it mean?

I just checked out Histogen's website and I read this: "HSC's components have recently been shown to be critical for new hair follicle formation"

Is my English really bad or is this some negative news?
hairysituation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
gmonasco

In this sense, "critical" means "necessary," so it's supposed to be a positive statement. As in, "We've discovered stuff that has to be present for new hair follicles to form."
gmonasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #3

^ NEW hair follicles?
That is not how Histogen works. They won't be able to create BRAND NEW FOLLICLES, only to revive EXISTING ones with some kind of growth factors. Am I wrong?
2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
gmonasco

Quote:
Dr. Craig Ziering serves as the lead investigator of clinic trials for HSC. Not only has he found no adverse effects from the productís clinical trials, but he has also noted that trials of the products have produced more hair with thicker hair shafts as well as completely new hair follicles in the areas treated with HSC.
http://www.zieringmedical.com/about-...bout-histogen/
Old 03-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonasco View Post
how could they grow COMPLETELY new follicles without existing stem cells in place?
Anyways, if that was true then this is bad news as you'll have thousands of new follicles in random patterns producing unevenly thin hair....
Old 03-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
gmonasco

It's hard to tell whether they're using "new hair follicles" synonymously with "new hairs" or not. If HSC were prompting existing, non-producing follicles to start regrowing hair, those would be "new hairs," but they wouldn't technically be "new hair follicles."
Old 03-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #7

I hope they'll have a seperate compound for just "reviving" existing follicles as the follicles are already aligned in a perfect pattern underneath the skin and that way it would look more natural if they just revived the old follicles...
Old 03-31-2012, 04:02 AM   #8
Pate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
how could they grow COMPLETELY new follicles without existing stem cells in place?
Anyways, if that was true then this is bad news as you'll have thousands of new follicles in random patterns producing unevenly thin hair....
But the stem cells are in place, as we know from Cotsarelis's work. What's missing is the chemical signals to get them to differentiate into the hair-producing cells. It could be that these growth factors are a necessary part of the chain, but that doesn't mean they are capable of inducing follicular neogenesis by themselves.

Also, the Ziering quote may not necessarily indicate the creation of brand-new follicles, it may just mean that hair follicles that were completely dormant and not producing any hair were reactivated. So it would appear that there was a new follicle there. The problem is that unlike Replicel, Histogen aren't actually injecting cells that they can track down later. They are just injecting growth factors so it'll be a lot more difficult to tell whether a hair that suddenly sprouts comes from a brand-new follicle or just one that was dormant.

Replicel on the other hand can tell whether it's a new follicle or a rejuvenated one, because the cells they inject into mice glow green.
Pate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:40 AM   #9

^ right, that was my point. Follicle stem cells NEVER disappear. Underneath the skin, we are all perfect NW0's with perfect patterns.

If these new treatment are only rejuvenating/activating existing follicles/stem cells, then great - keep making injections until your hair is as thick as you want.

The problem is if they'll ignore existing stem cells/follicles and try growing BRAND NEW FOLLICLES. This would look awful as hair will start appearing in random places among the rest of your thinning hair..... also, what about women? What's the point of cloning shitty follicles?
Old 04-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #10
NAS

Nice One 2020. It makes sense
NAS is offline   Reply With Quote