Bald Truth Talk - Hair Loss, Hair Transplant and Hair Restoration Community  

Go Back   Bald Truth Talk - Hair Loss, Hair Transplant and Hair Restoration Community > Men's Hair Loss > Men's Hair Loss: Start Your Own Topic
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
River

Default Does hair dye contribute to hairloss?

Hey guys,

I first noticed I was losing hair about 3 years ago, when I was 25, and I found that by dying my hair black, I was able to camouflage it quite well. I still dye my hair, but I have noticed a progression from norwood 2 to the early stages of a norwood 3.

I began taking finasteride 30 days ago, and while researching studies of the efficacy of this drug, I found that study participants were not allowed to dye their hair whilst they were on finasteride.

This has made me wonder if hair dye has contirubted to the progression of my hairloss. Does anyone know if there any evidence out there that dying your hair can make MPB related hairloss worse?
River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
TeeJay73

Based on everything that I have learned (I am not a doctor!), the answer is no. Coloring and/or dying your hair cannot make hair loss worse, because hair loss is a medical condition that is, in a sense, within your body. The production of DHT within your body attacks the hair follicles from within, and slowly withers them away. Once hair has grown out of the hair follicle, it is really lifeless. So, you can do whatever you want to it.

TeeJay
TeeJay73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
Richard Keller, MD
IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
Hey guys,

I first noticed I was losing hair about 3 years ago, when I was 25, and I found that by dying my hair black, I was able to camouflage it quite well. I still dye my hair, but I have noticed a progression from norwood 2 to the early stages of a norwood 3.

I began taking finasteride 30 days ago, and while researching studies of the efficacy of this drug, I found that study participants were not allowed to dye their hair whilst they were on finasteride.

This has made me wonder if hair dye has contirubted to the progression of my hairloss. Does anyone know if there any evidence out there that dying your hair can make MPB related hairloss worse?
Good question River,

Hair dye does not usually cause hair loss. However, harsh chemicals and bleaching could irritate the scalp and cause breakage. A healthy scalp provides a healty enviornment for hair.

The finasteride study would have controlled variables, so hair dye use would not be allowed during the study. Male pattern baldness is caused by genetic inheritance and DHT.

Regards,
Dr. Richard Keller
Richard Keller, MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
Dav7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay73 View Post
Based on everything that I have learned (I am not a doctor!), the answer is no. Coloring and/or dying your hair cannot make hair loss worse, because hair loss is a medical condition that is, in a sense, within your body. The production of DHT within your body attacks the hair follicles from within, and slowly withers them away. Once hair has grown out of the hair follicle, it is really lifeless. So, you can do whatever you want to it.

TeeJay
Apologies for bumping a zombie thread, but can anybody (including TracyC) actually confirm that hair dye does not affect MPB?

Thanks
Dav7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #5
mpalardy

I can confirm. In my early stages of hair loss (Norwood 1.5-2A), I was advised by a hairdresser to dye my hair my natural colour so as to make my hairline appear thicker. I did that for a few years until it no longer really helped. I started doing this eight years ago, and I'm still only a Norwood 3A.

Maybe some very caustic colours could cause non-MPB hair loss, however. It's best to talk to a barber or hairdresser before using colour.
mpalardy is offline   Reply With Quote