Bald Truth Talk - Hair Loss, Hair Transplant and Hair Restoration Community  

Go Back   Bald Truth Talk - Hair Loss, Hair Transplant and Hair Restoration Community > Surgical Hair Restoration > Hair Transplant: Start Your Own Topic
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2012, 06:52 AM   #1
richardd1972

Default IAHRS Surgeons

As a new member I'm still trying to pick out the right doctor. Could someone chime in and tell me what the standard is to be an IAHRS surgeon and does it mean that if I were to pick any IAHRS surgeon I would "likely" have a good result? I know there is always a risk I'm just asking that is it "unlikely" that I will have a bad outcome with an IAHRS surgeon?

thanks,

Richard
richardd1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #2
Tracy C

Hi richardd1972,

The IAHRS is a patient advocacy organization. As such it is very difficult for a doctor to become a member. IAHRS member doctors are held to much higher standards of ethics and quality of work.
Tracy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
Winston

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardd1972 View Post
As a new member I'm still trying to pick out the right doctor. Could someone chime in and tell me what the standard is to be an IAHRS surgeon and does it mean that if I were to pick any IAHRS surgeon I would "likely" have a good result? I know there is always a risk I'm just asking that is it "unlikely" that I will have a bad outcome with an IAHRS surgeon?

thanks,

Richard
One thing that you should do during your research is to listen to Spencer Kobren’s show, The Bald Truth. Whenever he is asked about hair transplant surgery he states that all surgery comes with risks and should not be taken lightly. The IAHRS was formed by Kobren to create a standard for the hair transplant industry that did not exist before it was put together. I understand the criteria is very stringent to make it into the IAHRS, so that’s why it’s so elite.
Even though Kobren founded the IAHRS, he will be the first to tell you that there is never a guarantee of a good outcome know matter who you go to. The IAHRS is a great starting point. All of the surgeons in the group are the best of the best, but you have to feel comfortable with your choice based on your own set of criteria. You can’t just pick a name off a list and think that that doctor will be right for you.

Last edited by Winston; 03-01-2012 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Typo
Winston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
richardd1972

Thanks Tracy,

I'm leaning toward Dr. Wasserbauer as she had a cancellation next week. Everything seems to be in order for a good procedure but I can't seem to find any of her work on this site and nobody seems to talk of her. Should I be concerned if she is not talked about? If she were bad she would not be a member of the IAHRS? Also, she prices by procedure instead of number of grafts. Any thoughts on what I said?

thanks,

Richard
richardd1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #5
chrisis

Richard, I'd advise against getting a hair transplant without seeing extensive evidence of the doctor's work.

Getting a hair transplant isn't like getting a kidney transplant; it's an artistic skill and each doctor's ability varies to a massive degree.

You need to see photo proof of a doctor's work and read testimonials on sites such as this. Going to a random doctor on basis of IAHRS accreditation is still too risky in my view.

There are two things you need to do right now: research and more research.
chrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
Winston

I donít think the risk lies with the quality of the IAHRS surgeon since they all have to be excellent at what they do, itís more about if the doctor is a right fit for your needs. Since Dr. Wasserbauer is in the IAHRS you at least now she was vetted and considered to be one of the best in the world, but I would personally asked to see some patient photos and maybe even speak to a couple of her former patients.
Winston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #7
chrisis

I'd see the IAHRS a bit like the top league of any sport. Sure Bolton are in the Premiership, but why would you pay tickets to see Bolton when you could watch Man U or Chelsea?

Unless you were a Bolton fan obviously!!!
chrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
Sara Wasserbauer, MD
IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon

Default Patient Photos

Hi All!

Richard pointed out to me that we have not been giving The Bald Truth the attention it deserves. While we post photos weekly both on our website (www.californiahairsurgeon.com) and on other sites as well, somehow we have been so busy (thank goodness!) that we neglected our pages here. We will be redressing the wrong and in the meantime was are always pleased to provide patient testimonials (call any one of our former patients), personal experiences, and oodles of photos sent right to your inbox if you like! Just let us know.

Sincerely,
Sara Wasserbauer MD

Last edited by Sara Wasserbauer, MD; 03-02-2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: improper word order
Sara Wasserbauer, MD is offline   Reply With Quote