+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2

    Default 25 years old, receding

    I am 25 years old and just began to notice my hair line receding close to the temples, forming a rounded windows peak. I'd say I'm between a 1 and 2 on the norwood hamilton scale, so nothing too drastic. I am however concerned that it will inevitably continue to worsen, given the fact that baldness is quite prevalent in my family and my young age. I will definitely get a transplant and have begun researching doctors. My question is, is it reasonable to gradually get the transplant while I still have a relatively thick head of hair? I don't want to appear bald for a sustained period of time and would rather get the transplants gradually while I can still grow it out and hide it. Thanks for your help!

  2. #2
    Senior Member 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wic86 View Post
    I will definitely get a transplant and have begun researching doctors.
    Possibly the dumbest thing you could do...
    Transplants won't stop your hair loss!! You will continue losing hair and you will need additional transplants to cover up missing spots. Donor hair will eventually run out, then what??

    Don't spend 10K for some barbaric procedure. A bunch of new treatments are coming soon. Get on Propecia and wait

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I'm aware that they won't stop my hair loss. I'm worried about taking propecia because of the adverse side effects. I still have plenty of hair and my question was, is integrating the transplant slowly, as opposed to waiting until I'm bald be possible. I'm fine with getting additional transplants, but I'm not familiar with the protocol and if that is unusual. I've read some horror stories about how propecia can adversely and permanently effect your sex drive. The new FUE method seems impressive and the money isn't an issue, I just wanted the best possible, and permanent fix.

  4. #4
    Senior Member 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wic86 View Post
    I'm aware that they won't stop my hair loss.
    you're dealing with an autoimmune disorder... your body will keep attacking hair follicles until they die and somehow people think that moving hair from one place to another will fix that??

    Quote Originally Posted by wic86 View Post
    I'm worried about taking propecia because of the adverse side effects.
    you do realize that after a hair transplant, your doctor will most likely make you go on Propecia anyways?

    Quote Originally Posted by wic86 View Post
    I've read some horror stories about how propecia can adversely and permanently effect your sex drive.
    yeah sure that's why the drug has been on the market for 20 years.... Do some proper research. Stay away from discussion forums.

    Quote Originally Posted by wic86 View Post
    The new FUE method seems impressive and the money isn't an issue, I just wanted the best possible, and permanent fix.
    http://replicel.com
    http://histogen.com
    http://follicabio.com/
    http://www.aderansresearch.com/

    ^ one of them will definately have something within the next 5 years. FUE will be crap compared to what's coming next.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
    Posts
    1,271

    Default

    Careful research will lead you conclude we don't know how high the risks of side effects with finasteride/Propecia are. Merck have pulled their website and a lot of men are coming forward.

    If the risks were equivalent to placebo, I highly doubt so many men would be complaining.

    I'd like this forum to be more balanced in its view of this drug

    Also, although there are promising things going on in research, there's no absolute certainty there will be a cure or better treatment any time soon.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Norwood 3-4
    Posts
    477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wic86 View Post
    I'm worried about taking propecia because of the adverse side effects.
    Its the same reason why I never went on propecia, and these days it turns out I was right all along. This drug is now officially marked as dangerous by both Boston and Washington study. Risks include permanent ED, impotence, prostate cancer, depression etc. People are pressing charges, first class lawsuits are on the way. Manufacturer has pulled down their own website.. I hope its just a matter of time before this drug gets banned or officially marked as extreme health hazard. So, whatever You do, its a right decission not to gamble with Your own health by taking this drug.

  7. #7
    Senior Member 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    Careful research will lead you conclude we don't know how high the risks of side effects with finasteride/Propecia are.
    Then how the **** would a drug with UNKNOWN RISKS get approved by the FDA?? We know the risks! We knew them 20 years ago and we know them now.

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    Merck have pulled their website and a lot of men are coming forward.
    I explained why they did that in another thread...

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    If the risks were equivalent to placebo, I highly doubt so many men would be complaining.
    There are some risks just like with any drug but the fact is that the percentage of people who get those side effects is very small.

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    I'd like this forum to be more balanced in its view of this drug
    I'd like it to be more factual...

    Quote Originally Posted by StressedToBald View Post
    Its the same reason why I never went on propecia,
    he's way too bald already... propecia won't help much in his case.

    Quote Originally Posted by StressedToBald View Post
    and these days it turns out I was right all along.
    nope, you're just bitter that you can't use Propecia so you will try to scare as many people as possible to not take that drug so they can be just as bald as you.

    Quote Originally Posted by StressedToBald View Post
    This drug is now officially marked as dangerous by both Boston and Washington study. Risks include permanent ED, impotence, prostate cancer, depression etc.
    those are bogus studies... we already established that in another thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by StressedToBald View Post
    People are pressing charges, first class lawsuits are on the way. Manufacturer has pulled down their own website.. I hope its just a matter of time before this drug gets banned or officially marked as extreme health hazard. So, whatever You do, its a right decission not to gamble with Your own health by taking this drug.
    100% that it won't happen. Their patent is about to expire anyways, no reason for Merck to support that drug anyways.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wic86 View Post
    I just wanted the best possible, and permanent fix.
    Currently there is no such thing as a permenent fix.

    If you are only a NW2, you do not need a hair transplant. An ethical doctor might not be willing to do a hair transplant for you Ė and you donít want to go to an unethical doctor. Besides getting a hair transplant without first attempting to slow down, stop or reverse your hair loss with medications is rather foolish. Talk to a real doctor. The frequency of possible side effects from Propecia or generic Finasteride is very rare. The possible side effects usually go away for those few who do experience them, even those who continue to use the medicine. The bad stuff you read about Propecia is largely overblown by fear mongering. Talk to a real doctor.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
    Posts
    1,271

    Default

    As explained in the other thread 2020, the FDA are not beyond error or corruption, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critici...Administration

    The entire situation regarding finasteride is extremely unclear right now. Saying other wise is reckless and foolish.

    "A $1.8 million 2006 Institute of Medicine report on pharmaceutical regulation in the U.S. found major deficiencies in the FDA system for ensuring the safety of drugs on the American market. Overall, the authors called for an increase in the regulatory powers, funding, and independence of the FDA."

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Norwood 3-4
    Posts
    477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    "A $1.8 million 2006 Institute of Medicine report on pharmaceutical regulation in the U.S. found major deficiencies in the FDA system for ensuring the safety of drugs on the American market. Overall, the authors called for an increase in the regulatory powers, funding, and independence of the FDA."
    Its an excellent quote.
    People should press charges against both Merck & FDA.
    At the end of the day its complete failure of both safety and regulation. Its pathetic though how Merck has thrown all the blame towards FDA, telling damaged people to send their complaints there, while in reality, Merck's own study is utterly false and unobjective - not only that they've failed to include ALL the serious risks, but percentages of side effects are ridiculously underestemated. They're throwing the blame in another direction, but I'm afraid that won't help them too much in the court of law.. once all damaged people whose lives are ruined by propecia press charges.. Merck will be forced to pay every single penny they have.

Similar Threads

  1. Transplanted hair receding years after HT.
    By slo100 in forum Hair Transplant: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 04-16-2012, 12:41 PM
  2. Been receding since 17....
    By Kendall B in forum Introduce Yourself & Share Your Story
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-12-2011, 01:05 PM
  3. Receding at 20!
    By pauly1 in forum Men's Hair Loss: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-30-2011, 10:55 PM
  4. Twenty years of hair loss, twenty years of hell.
    By bawty81027 in forum Introduce Yourself & Share Your Story
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 02:34 PM
  5. is my hairline receding?
    By nutrisam in forum Introduce Yourself & Share Your Story
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-28-2010, 09:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

Histogen and Replicel : stem cell meeting on the Mesa
09-28-2014 03:48 PM
Last Post By Thinning@30
Today 08:26 PM
Should I do hair Transplant at Civas Clinic in Turkey?
06-11-2014 02:12 AM
by Ronald
Last Post By Brett Scott
Today 08:08 PM
Dr Klein promox patients! Read if you need help.
08-21-2014 08:44 AM
by Jazz1
Last Post By lilpauly
Today 07:12 PM
How Do You Mix KB with RU?
10-13-2014 05:04 AM
by Suicide
Last Post By vinnytr
Today 06:16 PM
Topical Fin or RU?
10-22-2014 06:58 PM
by buck
Last Post By lmg7
Today 03:54 PM
Hair treatment for MPB in teenagers
07-09-2014 05:55 PM
Last Post By Illusion
Today 03:00 PM