Bald Truth Talk - Hair Loss, Hair Transplant and Hair Restoration Community  

Go Back   Bald Truth Talk - Hair Loss, Hair Transplant and Hair Restoration Community > Surgical Hair Restoration > IAHRS Info Center Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
bob13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedToTheBald View Post
Its two top US Universities studies, professors and MDs talking..
Article is written by a professional journalist.
I don't get Your point.

I dont know I guess if it's true it's for some people not all.

It's too late for me after taking it for 6 years at a reduced dose.

Stressed are you a guy who had sides and quit or what.
You are always preaching that propecia is bad?
Just wondering,

Read this
http://www.theonlineclinic.co.uk/news/Propecia.aspx
bob13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #12
StressedToTheBald
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Norwood 3-4
Posts: 477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob13 View Post
I dont know I guess if it's true it's for some people not all.

It's too late for me after taking it for 6 years at a reduced dose.

Stressed are you a guy who had sides and quit or what.
You are always preaching that propecia is bad?
Just wondering,

Read this
http://www.theonlineclinic.co.uk/news/Propecia.aspx
The point is that for many it does not work out and these people end messed up for life with no proper fix. I'm a guy who learned I shouldn't even start going down the propecia road, as the risks are very real and very serious.. That was the point of my post also, its top 2 US Universities studies, professors, MDs who know what they are talking about.. its now official, this drug is a health hazard.. I feel blessed that I never started using it, yes I preached against it, and turns out I was right all along..

And its not just that, if You've read the article theres doctors saying they've presribed this drug a lot.. but now, with these new findings - they say that if they knew how dangerous this drug was, they'd never prescribe it in the first place.
StressedToTheBald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #13
bob13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedToTheBald View Post
The point is that for many it does not work out and these people end messed up for life with no proper fix. I'm a guy who learned I shouldn't even start going down the propecia road, as the risks are very real and very serious.. That was the point of my post also, its top 2 US Universities studies, professors, MDs who know what they are talking about.. its now official, this drug is a health hazard.. I feel blessed that I never started using it, yes I preached against it, and turns out I was right all along..

And its not just that, if You've read the article theres doctors saying they've presribed this drug a lot.. but now, with these new findings - they say that if they knew how dangerous this drug was, they'd never prescribe it in the first place.
Well you know that I never suffered from ED so it may be true for some but not for others.
Being older I didnt care about sex that much way before I started taking it.

You know I quit for 6 months because I heard about the cancer thing but Kobrun had the guy for the cancer institute say that propecia was good for cancer. That is why I started again.
Noone wants to lose their hair.
bob13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #14
StressedToTheBald
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Norwood 3-4
Posts: 477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob13 View Post
Well you know that I never suffered from ED so it may be true for some but not for others.
Being older I didnt care about sex that much way before I started taking it.

You know I quit for 6 months because I heard about the cancer thing but Kobrun had the guy for the cancer institute say that propecia was good for cancer. That is why I started again.
Noone wants to lose their hair.
No one said everyone ends up badly. You had the luck to end up on the safe side, but as I remember You did quit for some side effects after all ?

Well, that most recent study actually links propecia with cancer as well. These doctors claiming so are US University professors, they have high end reputation, knowledge and experience. But its not up to me to convince You, I only say what I think and what has backing in scientific studies, but everyone has a right to choose for better or for worse if they can live with the risks and potential consequences.

I agree, no one wants to lose their hair. I wish there was a real and most importantly safe cure - then all of us would use it.
StressedToTheBald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #15
Tracy C
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedToTheBald View Post
Well, that most recent study actually links propecia with cancer as well.
That recent study you keep cluster bombing this forum with was not a reliable study. At best the conclusion of that study is that more study is needed.
Tracy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #16
bob13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 139
Default

this forum is to depressing.
too much bad info,
it's just too much. Time to move on.

What good is trying to do something for yourself just to hear
your gonna get cancer or ED.

Nah this is not for me.
bob13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #17
Glawre
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 38
Default

Man,
The examiner story is pretty damning. I may stop taking the medicine as this is not the first time I have heard this same information and from other articles.The facts are I do have side effects and everyone I know taking the medicine has side effects. Propecia is effective in restoring hair as I used it years ago. I thought half a dose may be the answer for me. Merck had listed the side effects in their original clinical study as less than 2% of men taking the medicine experienced side effects and most reported these went away. I noticed that the original Propicia/Merck website has been pulled down. This I am sure is because of pending legal action. Oh well, hair is over rated
Glawre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #18
StressedToTheBald
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Norwood 3-4
Posts: 477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glawre View Post
Man,
The examiner story is pretty damning. I may stop taking the medicine as this is not the first time I have heard this same information and from other articles.The facts are I do have side effects and everyone I know taking the medicine has side effects. Propecia is effective in restoring hair as I used it years ago. I thought half a dose may be the answer for me. Merck had listed the side effects in their original clinical study as less than 2% of men taking the medicine experienced side effects and most reported these went away. I noticed that the original Propicia/Merck website has been pulled down. This I am sure is because of pending legal action. Oh well, hair is over rated
It became official now. Its very serious and its backed by 2 top university studies, one from Boston, the other from Washington. Both are casting new light, fully exposing the hazards of propecia. Dr. Traish and Dr. Irwig are talking about permanent ED, cancer, depression, and percentages of side effects presented by Dr. Irwig are outstandingly higher than ones presented by Merck ! And they say its just top of the iceberg. With all these new findings, its a completely new legal situation.. lawyers are preparing for first class lawsuits.. damaged patients will be pressing charges all over the place.. the ultimate insult coming from Merck, they've shut down their own website and put a small notice in the bottom - saying all damaged should report their complaints to FDA.. so much of taking the blame ! they know once the news starts rolling, everyone will find out and not only that they'll loose money because no one will buy propecia ever again, but they'll also have to pay damages and settlements to all those people whose lives are ruined as a result of propecia.
StressedToTheBald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #19
Glawre
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob13 View Post
Ive been taking a half dose for 6 years , it works.
Question on the half dose you have been taking for 6 years. Have you seen a big difference? Has it been effective. What about side effects.

Thanks for the feedback.

Gary
Glawre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #20
25 going on 65
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glawre View Post
Man,
The examiner story is pretty damning. I may stop taking the medicine as this is not the first time I have heard this same information and from other articles.The facts are I do have side effects and everyone I know taking the medicine has side effects. Propecia is effective in restoring hair as I used it years ago. I thought half a dose may be the answer for me. Merck had listed the side effects in their original clinical study as less than 2% of men taking the medicine experienced side effects and most reported these went away. I noticed that the original Propicia/Merck website has been pulled down. This I am sure is because of pending legal action. Oh well, hair is over rated
The examiner story is nothing to worry about. Dr. Irwig conducted his "study" by ranking 71 members of propeciahelp.com on the Arizona Sexual Experience Scale. In fact Spencer Kobren covered that story a year ago.
There isn't currently scientific evidence that finasteride causes permanent impotence or anything of the sort. I generally would advise against reading pop media articles about hair loss treatments.
Also, there are lawsuits against all kinds of drugs on a regular basis. They mean nothing in themselves. You often see lawyers advertising on television about a particular kind of medicine; it's how some of them make a living.

The rate of side effects for finasteride is quite low (though I agree it may be higher than 2-3%), and those that come up often resolve on their own while continuing the medication. I have been on 1.25 mg for over a year and I'm fine.
If you experience side effects on this drug, you can try a lower dose (.5 mg is a fine place to start).
Finally, don't take StressedToTheBald seriously. He's the resident troll on The Bald Truth at the moment, and probably won't have his account for long.

Good luck.
25 going on 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
peopecia side effects: stop taking it, half the dose, what of the long term effects? sapcote Hair Loss Treatments 0 11-22-2011 09:55 PM
Increase propecia dose? abb83 Hair Loss Treatments 5 10-14-2010 02:44 AM
Half Dose Propecia Question Glawre Men's Hair Loss: Start Your Own Topic 0 08-08-2010 05:47 PM
Half a pill of propecia? robberob Men's Hair Loss: Start Your Own Topic 4 08-03-2009 11:28 PM

» The Bald Truth
» Recent Threads
Cannot wait any longer for results from fin, advice needed
Yesterday 04:24 PM
by Plan C
Last post by 35YrsAfter
Today 12:47 PM
Funding Desmond to go to WCHR 2014
Yesterday 08:05 PM
by Arashi
Last post by hellouser
Today 12:29 PM
» Newest Videos

Update On Hairloss 8/10/09...
My hair loss was getting worse, so I just got it cut really short now. I don't think it looks that b...


Hair Loss Remedy Myths Perpetuated Onlin...
We are sure these people mean well, but this is a prime example of why the snake oil industry thrive...


Hair Transplant | "SurgeonofNalts&q...
http://www.baldtruthtalk.comFounder of The American Hair Loss Association Spencer Kobren speaks with...


How Hair Loss Colors Our Lives | Spencer...
...


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:52 PM.