+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Post Op Blues

Arrow Post Op Blues

Post op blues:

This is a topic which patients need to be aware of as its very common to get down and anxious immediate post op.

The post op blues! This is nothing to be worried about and not everyone experiences it but be aware that in my personal experience it can happen and its not nice.

It is very common indeed after your HT to feel very down and anxious about the entire thing - remember you are exhausted!. You are full of mixed emotions post op and this is often fuelled by the tiredness that you will underestimate. - Under going surgery is a huge step mentally as well as physically. The lead up to is mentally gruelling and shouldn't be under estimated. Be aware that post op the wheels will well and truly fall off at some point - you are only human!

You will turn up to your session shattered as most do - due to a few restless nights sleep on the lead up to the big day and very little sleep the night before - - combined with the anxiety and adrenaline is a crazy combo - Trust me - been there!

The surgery itself Strip or FUE is like running a marathon for you even though you are sat in a chair all day - Sitting in a chair ALL day doing nothing is tiring. Combine this mental and physical exhaustion with the duration of the surgery - It can be very tough on you!

On top of these factors are also the drugs taken to help calm you down and the various pain killer needed post op - Your body is getting hit from all angles and is just running on adrenaline for some time post op so remember the mind is exhausted as well as your body.Combine all this also as many do with several hours of flying and the jet lag and you have got a messy combo and these blues can strike at any time ! Do not underestimate it!

After all this you return home and then the sheer exhaustion hits you like a sledge hammer - Boosh! Due to your new level of complete exhaustion this is when the blues are well known to creep in - You are tired like nothing before and then thoughts start to get amplified - you will start questioning the surgery and your Doctor and how it went and was it a success - you become VERY paranoid and sketchy - obsessive!!!! Its the come down of all come downs so again be prepared for the post of blues and be aware that for a few days pre op and a few days post op you need to respect the surgery and what you are about to and have put your body through mentally and physically. - Get some rest - your body needs it.

Tips for the post op blues - Rest up, drink LOTS of water, eat well, chill out (24, Lost, Prison Break box sets) and try not focus on the surgery and the various specifics surrounding it - leave that up to the Docs - that's what you are paying them for and that's why your several months intensive research has lead you to them - Your radar will click back in within a few days and everything will become a lot clearer and you will start to feel much more upbeat about it all and the experience in general - and the new chapter of your life will start in a very positive state of mind - along with the post op regime and the questions associated with that! - But that's another topic all together!

It all good guy - so heal up and grow well!!!
    Spex
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

I sure am suffering post-op blues but it's more to do with the long long wait before I can see any results. Counting the days and hours. I didn't find the procedure itself particularly arduous. I couldn't feel a thing and slept though a lot of it.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Lindsey's Avatar

Post op blues is common. Having done lots of cosmetic work for both men and women over the past 15 years, I can say for certain that postop blues are real and they are unpredictable. Meaning that there doesn't seem to be a pattern of predicting who is going to get the blues based upon the things you might expect...divorce, age, financial situation.

I will say that it seems like it occurs in females more than males but relation to times of hormonal fluctuation (monthly or menopause) doesn't seem to have been seen.

Extrapolated to another population, it can be similar to the "let down" that occurs in many kids after opening all of the Christmas presents. They get excited for a while with huge anticipation, and then when the packages are unwrapped, even if they got exactly what they wanted, the increased excitement chemicals in the body decrease, and there is a let down.

That is my best guess as to what is going on for some folks.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA
    William Lindsey, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Hey Barry77, How far along are you mate? Be patience mate it takes time!

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    Hey Barry77, How far along are you mate? Be patience mate it takes time!
    Hi Spex. Nice of you to ask. Just over two weeks. It's going to be a long 8-10 months. I keep obsessively checking my head in the mirror. It's surely not a good thing to be wishing one's time away.

I must say, I personally don't recognise a lot of that post op blues description. It's really only now that I'm feeling kind of bummed. During the op and immediately afterwords I was kind of euphoric with excitement. Maybe that might be encouraging for people about to go under the knife?

All good - we are all different. You are now in the eye of the storm mate - its a long waiting game from here on in so be patient.

Remember the more you look at it the longer it will take to growth

Grow well!

Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    All good - we are all different. You are now in the eye of the storm mate - its a long waiting game from here on in so be patient.

Remember the more you look at it the longer it will take to growth

Grow well!
    Thanks mate. Definitely 'a watched pot' situation. Just to amend my earlier comment: there was pain - having those staples removed was no stroll in a bed of roses I can tell you.

All good Barry 77, have a read of the topic on patience as it will hopefully help.

Patience!!

Patience is the toughest part of the HT procedure but one of the most important ones.

Trust me i truly know how tough the waiting game is - I have been there many, many times before!! Looking constantly in the mirror, inspecting it every opportunity, driving along staring in the rear view mirror(how i never crashed i don't know) Wondering why at exactly 3/4 months there is still no growth!! Frustrated why the redness hasn't clamed down when forum member X was back to work at 10 days with no worries.

The trick here is to understand that everyone is different in terms of recovery times, growth times, expectations, realisation period etc.

Patience is an essential part of the HT journey and i think it needs more exposure - When embarking down the HT road - "Be Patient!!!"

Just because "Joe Bloggs" had great growth at month 3/4 doesn't necessarily mean you are going to - So being aware of this prior to your HT.
    The growth will come in its own time and you will have your realisation in your own time. - Be patient!! Could be 6 could be 10 months.

It's a fact 3/4 months post HT is the toughest time in the entire process but you are only prolonging the agony by expecting to wake up one day around month 3/4 and see it all taking place. It doesn't happen like this!!! It is soooooooooooo slow and gradual that you actually do not see it happen. You will only see the transformation when you compare your pictures along side each other at monthly intervals. A great example was Ian who i spoke with at month 9 post op and he said "well i haven't really seen much difference since month 4" - I showed him his pictures and well you do the maths.

Be patient - I know its tough, really tough!!! By inspecting your hair though 24/7 its actually NOT going to make things happen any quicker - In fact it will make things happen slower - "A watch kettle never boils"

Be prepared post op to really make a conscious effort to put it all on the back burner for 6 months as a bench mark as other wise you will only drive yourself MAD! - Trust me - i speak from personal experience!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	0%206.jpg

Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	5216  
    Last edited by Spex; 06-14-2010 at 05:31 AM.

Default hey

I'm 7 weeks out and starting to get antsy myself...when you pay a lot of money for a car, you want to drive it immed. I'm still stuck riding the train.

I'm not obsessive with the mirror, but at this point, the only thing different about my head is the scar, a fact that is annoying.

Not much else to do but hurry up and wait.

Default Hair loss after hair transplant

Hi,

I recently had a hair transplant with a very reputable doctor. I am about 3 months into the process post ops and have noticed some hair loss in the frontal area and sides. Surgery was easy, recovery excellent, but loss of frontal area is noticeable. The doctor did seem surprised, but said both grafts and original permanent hair should grow back. Should I be concerned? And, what else can I do? - Vb