Bald Truth Talk - Hair Loss, Hair Transplant and Hair Restoration Community  

Go Back   Bald Truth Talk - Hair Loss, Hair Transplant and Hair Restoration Community > Surgical Hair Restoration > Hair Transplant: Start Your Own Topic
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2010, 07:34 PM   #1
tm.dsbc

Default Do the new transplanted hairs always fall out, before growing?

I just had a transplant just over two weeks ago and I understand that typically the new hairs fall out within a couple of weeks then start to grow after 3 months. So far I havent notice the new hairs thinning or falling out, there actually growing like weeds. at this rate within 2 months my new hair will be full length. Is this common? Should they have falled out? Help
tm.dsbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:02 AM   #2
Spex
Fellermedical Consultant

Hi TM,

Its common for them to hang around for 2/3 weeks and then they will shed - The vast majority will shed. Best thing is to have a good shower and massage them to aid them. Do not worry! After literally 3/5 days grafts are solid and in place so after 2 weeks you are safe. In my opinion the sooner the new grafts shed - the sooner they can go into the rest phase and then the sooner they can regrow.
Dr. Bijan Feriduni, IAHRS Member

Feel free to contact me directly about your hair loss concerns : Contact Spex

I am not a Doctor and all my posts are my own personal opinion based on 10 Hair transplants, SMP into my scar and 10 years consulting on and offline. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.
Spex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
Dr. Glenn Charles
IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon

Be aware that in many cases the transplanted hairs actually grow for a few weeks, but then fall out in a delayed fashion. I have had severeal patients over the years that called me 2-3 weeks post-op and said Doc all my transplanted hairs are still there and they look twice as long as the day of surgery. I tell them about this delayed fall out and sure enough they call me back 1-2 weeks later and say you are right they all fell out. Hopefully, you will be one of the lucky 1-2% fo patients who just get continued growth and never expewrience the fall out.
Dr. Glenn Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
gillenator

In my experience most patients shed most of their grafts 2-4 weeks post-op. It has been the exception where a higher percent of them remain in the anagen (growing) phase and continue to grow. But Like Dr. Charles stated, it can happen even if it's only 1-2% of the population. I would say that approximately 25% of my hairline grafts continued to grow immediately post-op, but within the next several months, they too fell out.

Sometimes you will notice that the crust fell off, but the hair within the graft remained. That hair remained in anagen.

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following supporting physicians: Dr. Glenn Charles, Dr. Jerry Cooley, Dr. James Harris, Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin
gillenator is offline   Reply With Quote