Bald Truth Talk - Hair Loss, Hair Transplant and Hair Restoration Community  

Go Back   Bald Truth Talk - Hair Loss, Hair Transplant and Hair Restoration Community > Men's Hair Loss > Hair Loss Treatments
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 04:25 AM   #11
walrus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
You mean while also using minoxidil?

If not, keep in mind that MPB is a gene. You can't just roll little needles on your head and it will stop the hairloss. I'm pretty sure the whole point of a dermaroller is for more minoxidil absorption.
MPB is a phenotype, not a gene. You also wrongly assume that drugs are the only thing that can affect the expression of genes.
walrus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:48 AM   #12
Marshmalo
Member
 
Marshmalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dude78 View Post
No. It has nothing to do with absorption. It's all about wound healing. Wound healing triggers an embryonic state in the skin which makes it receptive to receiving instructions from wnt proteins. It is important not to use the roller every day, as this requires the healing cycle to be completed before it is triggered again.
No, it is everything to do with absorption, micro-needling is said to massively increase absorption of any topical you put on your skin, thats why women are using it along with vitamin creams for good skin.

Your right that it does cause the skin to heal with is supposed to increase collagen levels but for hairloss the main principle is to increase expsoure to minoxil.

I'm no docter and neither are you but I really think once a day might be too much.

I would recomend using it just after the shower, the skin is softer then and it's less painful.
Marshmalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #13
Chromeo
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 75
Default

It is neither "nothing to do with absorption" nor "everything to do with absorption", I believe it is somewhere in between.

Yes, it is said that microneedling aids with absorption of topicals such as Minoxidil, but in this more recent study the focus is on the wounding and regeneration process. Minoxidil is not used until 24 hours after the wounding session, so increasing absorption is not the purpose of this experiment in this case.
Chromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #14
PatientlyWaiting
Senior Member
 
PatientlyWaiting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,491
Default

Well then I stand corrected. Don't know much about this Dermaroller thing but I highly doubt that rolling a $20 dollar object on your head will be a good treatment for MPB.
PatientlyWaiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #15
FearTheLoss
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
Well then I stand corrected. Don't know much about this Dermaroller thing but I highly doubt that rolling a $20 dollar object on your head will be a good treatment for MPB.
tell that to Follica
FearTheLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #16
hellouser
Senior Member
 
hellouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
You mean while also using minoxidil?

If not, keep in mind that MPB is a gene. You can't just roll little needles on your head and it will stop the hairloss. I'm pretty sure the whole point of a dermaroller is for more minoxidil absorption.
1) You're wrong on every account.
2) Its not about just 'rolling' little needles on your head.
3) Minoxidil absorption has NOTHING to do with it.

The objective and facts are:

Dermarolling is not meant for absorption but for WOUNDING. It is a known FACT that when wounding occurs, WNT and FGF-9 is induced during the healing process. Keep in mind WNT is the same stuff Histogen is using for their method of injections, so this already holds weight. FGF-9 was shown to grow a significant amount of hair on mice but when removed, hair did not grow. A similar pattern occurs during the wounding process in human scalp, however FGF-9 is produced in lower numbers. It is however thought that the addition of Minoxidil AFTER wounding will elevate PGE2 levels which in itself also elevates FGF-9. FGF-9 along with WNT both *should* induce growth in hair. Both of which theories are documented and published by, you guessed it, Dr. George Cotsarelis. Read here:

http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/news/News_...eneration.html

Look for this part in that article:

Quote:
“We showed that wound healing triggered an embryonic state in the skin which made it receptive to receiving instructions from wnt proteins,” says senior author George Cotsarelis, MD, Associate Professor of Dermatology. “The wnts are a network of proteins implicated in hair-follicle development.”
As for FGF-9, here's what he has to say:

Quote:
In one embodiment, the present invention provides a method for generating an HF in a scalp, eyebrow, or scarred region of a subject, comprising the steps of: (a) disrupting an epidermis of the scalp, eyebrow, or scarred region; and (b) contacting the scalp, eyebrow, or scarred region with minoxidil, thereby generating an HF in a scalp, eyebrow, or scarred region of a subject.
Source: https://www.google.com/patents/US201...ed=0CDUQ6AEwAA

The recent study had these results:



To further give evidence of this theory, heres an article from 1986 mentioning a scalp burn victim with MPB regrowing terminal hair after the burn healed:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...0266-0059b.pdf

We also know that in thinning hair, scalp also thins. However dermarolling alone increases collagen production which thickens up skin. This was mentioned by Spencer on his show not long ago in regards to the dermarolling approach. In my opinion (though this is my only theory) a good environment for hair follicles will also play a role, so essentially a DHT free zone with good skin should provide results. I myself will be trying out EMU oil as its known to improve skin. The addition of dermarolling, minoxidil, and a DHT inhibitor like RU58841 or an oral one like Dutasteride should provide results.

So the dermaroller only costs between $10-$40 and will *at least* help with absorption. This, you are right about. However, there is *no reason* not to replicate this study and see what happens.

PrettyFly83 is already seeing results and has posted a link to the dermarolling thread, I would strongly suggest you read over it and at least give it though:

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=13420
hellouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #17
Notcoolanymore
Senior Member
 
Notcoolanymore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: A place hot as hell
Posts: 1,391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
Well then I stand corrected. Don't know much about this Dermaroller thing but I highly doubt that rolling a $20 dollar object on your head will be a good treatment for MPB.
When it comes to hair loss products, it is smart to be skeptical. With that being said, the the higher cost of a treatment does not always equate to better odds of effectiveness. If that was true all those expensive laser treatments would be the most effective treatments.

At a $20 price tag, I think the price is right to give it a try.
Notcoolanymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #18
Notcoolanymore
Senior Member
 
Notcoolanymore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: A place hot as hell
Posts: 1,391
Default

The before and after pics above suck. It is really difficult to tell of a person actually grew more hair if the after pic is showing the person with longer hair.
Notcoolanymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #19
hellouser
Senior Member
 
hellouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
The before and after pics above suck. It is really difficult to tell of a person actually grew more hair if the after pic is showing the person with longer hair.
You need to see an optometrist.
hellouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #20
Notcoolanymore
Senior Member
 
Notcoolanymore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: A place hot as hell
Posts: 1,391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
You need to see an optometrist.
I'll look into it. Come on dude patient 2 had his head buzzed in the first pic and has it grown in on the second pic.
Notcoolanymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
very promising study results with minox + dermaroller Westonci Cutting Edge / Future Treatments 8 10-03-2013 09:21 PM
Minoxidil+dermaroller chimera Cutting Edge / Future Treatments 57 07-24-2013 01:51 PM
Dermaroller Davey Jones Hair Loss Treatments 0 06-21-2012 08:42 PM
Scalp/Dermaroller BlackBlue Hair Loss Treatments 1 07-30-2011 07:58 PM
PRP and what to expect ericz Hair Loss Treatments 14 05-12-2010 02:34 PM

» The Bald Truth
» Recent Threads
Feeling hopeless
04-12-2014 07:57 AM
by BoSox
Last post by joely
Today 01:28 PM
Should I drop Avodart?
03-04-2014 03:47 PM
by win200
Last post by win200
Today 12:26 PM
» Newest Videos

Update On Hairloss 8/10/09...
My hair loss was getting worse, so I just got it cut really short now. I don't think it looks that b...


Hair Loss Remedy Myths Perpetuated Onlin...
We are sure these people mean well, but this is a prime example of why the snake oil industry thrive...


Hair Transplant | "SurgeonofNalts&q...
http://www.baldtruthtalk.comFounder of The American Hair Loss Association Spencer Kobren speaks with...


How Hair Loss Colors Our Lives | Spencer...
...


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:05 PM.