+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Marceluswallace View Post
    Thanks for the answer !! My question is more on the theoretical side of the treatment as in theory, we are using high quantities of DHT right ? thx again !!
    Marceluswallace We are not using high concentrations of DHT but higher concentrations of GF's like VEGF which ( numerous independent studies) have been shown to increase follicle size and PDGF, which a recent Yale study demonstrated the importance of fat cells production and the follicular stem cells. Happy New Year JG

I don't think PRP works to keep hair indefinitely but I was independently thinking about the use of vascular endothelial growth factor for improving graft yield and vascularity in bald scalp in traditional HT. Vascularity of bald scalp is one of the major issues in graft yield put forward by Dr. Bernstein. So yes I can see a potential benefit for transplanting hair but I don't know about reversing miniturisation. If it does like we've discussed then surely it has only proved to transient.

Quote Originally Posted by Follicle Death Row View Post
    I don't think PRP works to keep hair indefinitely but I was independently thinking about the use of vascular endothelial growth factor for improving graft yield and vascularity in bald scalp in traditional HT. Vascularity of bald scalp is one of the major issues in graft yield put forward by Dr. Bernstein. So yes I can see a potential benefit for transplanting hair but I don't know about reversing miniturisation. If it does like we've discussed then surely it has only proved to transient.
    In 2007 we first began to utilize PRP in the donor area to promote faster healing and there are many studies that demonstrate that PRP enhances wound healing as well as decreases scar collagen and increasing tensile strength. We also bathed the grafts per Carlos Uebel (2004), and then began injecting it into the scalp before making the graft pattern in hair transplant surgery to promote vascularization of the grafts. Transplants are essentially fat grafts and there are studies that demonstrate PRP improves the take of fat grafts. Our initial observations of faster healing and more mature growth in surgery patients led us to do the density study sponsored by the ISHRS where hair shaft diameter was measured and showed an increase in density for up to 8 months after one treatment.

You must also understand that not all PRP is the same and autologous cellular therapy has evolved to the point where we are understanding more today, but we have only scratched the surface of understanding GF's/stem cell interaction with hair. In 2008 in Rome at an ISHRS workshop and then in a publication in the Hair Transplant form in 2009 I stressed the importance of having a matrix to hold the GF's in the treatment area for a longer time. I have been using a patented protein matrix with GF's since 2007 and Dr Hitzig's idea of using an acellular matrix evolved from this article.

What is so difficult with autologous cellular therapy (ACT) is that you cannot compare what one person is doing to another because it is not the same.... I prefer the term ACT over PRP because it has evolved and many of us experienced at cellular therapy are using more than just PRP, PRP is a part of ACT. PRP systems that produce GF's are different, so GF levels vary, some systems contain RBC's, WBC's and others do not. We have developed a proprietary way of releasing GF's from platelets and removing all cellular material including the platelet membrane, which is no longer needed. We can also lyophilize ( freeze dry) and preserve autologous and allogeneic GF's, which is where I see the future of this therapy. I mention this because many of us are doing the research following protocols as we must with the FDA and because of this we cannot just come out on an open forum and disclose to all what we are doing.

Wishing all a happy bio-enhanced New Year!

I absolutely see cell based solutions doing great things in the future but not until we replicate DHT resistant cells and inject them. I would be surprised if the current PRP type injections could hold off the miniturisation process indefinitely even if the treatments are repeated every 8 months. VEGF increases the blood supply, that's a definite, and the studies have showed an increase in shaft diameter. Then again minoxidil and finasteride do the same short term but very long term, there will still be hair loss.

I just feel PRP has been way overhyped as are so many things in the hair loss industry. Even if an autologous stem cell treatment like what Replicel or Aderans are looking to do only stops hairloss I would consider it a success provided the freeze on mpb was permanent. It would be huge for many people even if the regrowth was minimal but they never lost another hair past say norwood 4 or 5.

Are straight P.R.P. injections (i.e., not injections as an adjunct to surgery) currently (January, 2012) being offered as a stand-alone treatment for androgenic alopecia? If so, upon what clinical study/studies is this offer founded?

Thank you.

Increasing follicle size is one thing, but what will help with the visual result is increasing the degree of coarseness or simply put, increases to hair caliber.

If the degree of hair caliber does not improve, neither will the visual coverage!
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Default PRP/Acell

Dr Greco,

I had a prp/acell treatment done last June hear is what i have notice.

-- 2 weeks after procedure hair shafts thicker and darker
    -- 3-4 weeks later large shed
    -- August hair filling in nicely all over crown/mid/front
    -- Late Oct another shed
    -- December hair looks great definate improvement
    -- Now presently seems another small shed

My hair never really shed so often. Hopefully getting more regrowth.

Have you seen this in other patients? Also been on Avodart since 03 and rogaine as well.

Overall i am pleased just the darn shedding. Shedding usually means regrowth. I dont know if the prp/acell somehow accelerates growth phases interesting.

Also, since my hair was a little thin to begin with any shed i notce the thiness overall till the hair starts growing in.

I will keep u posted

thanks

I have had the opportunity to meet with Dr. Greco one on one and have to say. He is extremely knowledgeable and taught me a lot about the prp and all that I did not know. I'm excited I have my appointment booked with him on the 28th of this month.

stop advertising this crap!! Your fake testimonies won't make your product any better. If anything, you're making acell look worse!

I'd be more then willing to send you my real contact info to show I'm not an advertisement