+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Any experience of removing transplanted hair with laser?

Hello All,

Firstly, I apologise if this rather long-winded post is contrary to the purpose of this forum (i.e. hair restoration) or if this topic has been discussed before (I can’t find a similar thread) but I would like to know if anyone out there has any recent experience of having transplanted hair permanently reduced/removed by laser?

BACKSTORY
    In 2004 (in my naïve, impressionable and very desperate early 20s) I underwent a hair transplant procedure whereby several hundred individual hair grafts were implanted into my front hairline. The procedure was perfectly successful in terms of the survival and re-growth of the transplanted hairs but the results were just not what I anticipated.

BACK TO TODAY
    Now I just wish I could have the hair grafts permanently removed so that I can put this horrible part of my life behind me and move on (it’s affecting my life greatly). I just want them removed - NOT improved, NOT corrected and NOT transferred back to the donor area.

I understand that you can have transplanted hairs removed surgically but this is an option that I would rather avoid if at all possible. I believe I am a good candidate for laser hair removal (i.e. pale skin and thick dark hair) but I need to know if laser can destroy transplanted hairs successfully. I have heard that transplanted hairs are rooted slightly deeper than natural hair and laser may not be able to touch them. Does anyone know if this is true?

So basically, what I’m asking is…..
    1. Has anybody had transplanted hairs successfully removed with laser (or know if it’s possible)?
    2. If so, what type of laser would be most effective at destroying transplanted hair?

I would be extremely grateful if anybody can offer advice or suggestions.

Thank you in advance, jfarrell

Sorry for not being able to answer your question (due to my ignorance on the subject) but i am curious on how what route you took when you had your hair transplant in 2004. Did you go to an IHAIRS member surgeon? Or was it someplace like Bosely? Im just curious to hear your story because at this time I am also contemplating on wether to get a hairtransplant or not. Right now I'm 23 years old and would like to hear some ones story who has already experienced a procedure like that at this age. My worry is that if I get one now is that I will continue to bald and leave those areas I filled up with hair to be little islands on my scalp years to come. Sounds like this has happened to you. How many grafts did you have when you went through with the procedure?

Hello robberob,

Fortunately I haven’t lost any hair since the procedure in 2004, that’s not why I want the grafts removed. They just don’t look (or feel) natural and most likely will end up as “little islands on my scalp” if and when my hairline does recede further. You’re absolutely right to consider this. If you want to hear (or in this case read) more about my story then check it out here http://hairtransplantguy.blogspot.com/

To answer your questions, I don’t even know what IHAIRS is. I foolishly didn’t put too much research into the surgeon/clinic. I went to Norton clinic in the UK and I think I had about 1000 grafts (not sure though). I’m not saying that Norton are good or bad, I don’t have any reference for comparison, that’s just who I went to.

Many people have very different experiences with hair transplant procedures (for different reasons) so nobody can say which is the correct decision for you. For some people it may be the best choice they make, for others it may be the worst. Unfortunately I’m in the latter category and if I could go back in time and make the decision again I would certainly NOT go through with it. However I think I needed to go through with the procedure in order to realise this. If I hadn’t gone through with a hair transplant when I did I would probably be wondering “what if” and possibly still be very insecure about my hairline and contemplating having a procedure done.

Now I’m in a place where I’m much more comfortable with the way that I look and just want the grafts removed so that I can accept the way that I am and just get on with my life. If you do go through with a procedure than my advice would be:
    • go to the most reputable surgeon that you can afford (I’m sure you’ll find many positive testimonials on forums like this)
    • be realistic about the results that can be achieved
    • understand that future procedures will most likely be required (if your balding worsens)

I’m really trying to give an objective response in order to help you make an informed decision. However what I really want to say is “forget about hair transplants, shave your head and accept that you’re destined to be the bald and beautiful variety.” This, I know, is very easy for me to say and is only my opinion.

Whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck. I’d be curious to know what decision you finally make and how you get on so keep us all informed.

Regards, jfarrell

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

You can certainly try laser hair removal. I have had some success in patients with previously transplanted hair. It will certainly take several treatments. There is no exact number, each patients response to the laser is different. Donor hair is generally thicker/more coarse and harder to kill. Meaning more treatments. Sometimes it weakens the hairs making them thinner/finer to the point were the patient doesn't mind the way they look. Remember that you will always have the option to have them surgically removed if necessary.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Dear Dr. Glenn Charles,

Thank you very much for your response, the information is very useful and greatly appreciated.

If you don’t mind I would like to ask two further questions.
    1. Is transplanted hair rooted deeper than natural hair thereby making it more difficult for lasers to reach?
    2. Is it possible that the laser will simply ‘shock’ the hair root into shedding the follicle without actually destroying the root thereby giving the impression that the laser treatment is effective when it is actually just ‘resetting’ the hair’s growth cycle?

Thank you in advance.

Jfarrell

Thank you jfarrel for your advise! Also I cant thank you enough for your effort to relay your experience to others by creating a blog. It's great to see individuals like you sharing information with many of those seeking a procedure of the sort. Thank you and best of luck to you sir with the hair removal! I will most definitely keep those updated on my future decisions.

I'm currently 3.5 months in and really happy with my growth so far. Hoping it carries on after month 4!

I had similar worries about the scabs. You'll no doubt also have small hairs falling in the shower tray at the 10+ days mark so don't worry, gillenator kindly helped me out as well at the time. Just so you don't have anything to worry about this is what they may look like.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg

Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	34082  

Unhappy

Posted this in the completely wrong thread sorry - not sure how to move or delete it either.

Thankd