+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which product is best to give the illusion of a full head of hair?

I was about to schedule an appointment to get a hair transplant in about a week, when I had an idea.
    The transplant will cost me about 10k. While I have no problem affording this, I am having a hard time parting with this money. So, I'm looking for another solution.
    Before I drop 10 grand (not including taxes), I want to try one of the hair sprays or powders (like Toppik) on the market.
    I also want to see how easy and fuss-free it is to apply one of these products daily, and if it is practical and effective to use. If it is, I will forgo the transplant, and use it regularly to cover up the thin hair on my crown.
    I've heard of Toppik, Hair So Real, Dermatch, Xfusion, etc, but I am confused about which one is best, and which one offers the best value.
    I also don't know how these various products work and how they are applied. Any ideas what I might want to try?

FYI:

*I was going to get a FUE transplant at the Anapelli Hair Clinic by Dr. Frank in about a month.

*I have been on Propecia, 1mg, for over a year, and I plan to use this indefinitely.

*If I try Toppik, or other similar product, and find it to be unsatisfactory, I will then simply bite the bullet and get the transplant. But, I want to see if I can avoid surgery, first.

Hi How many grafts is the doc offering?

Like most bullshit on the shelves today the products are essentially the same.

For best illusion Toppik is the gold standard.

Quote Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
    Hi How many grafts is the doc offering?

Like most bullshit on the shelves today the products are essentially the same.

For best illusion Toppik is the gold standard.
    He is offering 1,200 grafts.

Havent used any of them but I've read up on a few of them.

Toppik, Nanogen and Dermatch are all considered good products.

However I've read that Nanogen is the best of the 3, I've read a few cases where toppik will change color(sometimes to green for some reason) which I havent read for nanogen.

so yea my vote goes to Nanogen. I hear they get the job done but you have to at least have a bit of hair, not a slick bald spot.

Caboki made it look like I had 0 hair loss. I says you don't need to use any sprays, and they are right. I never used any and never had any problems.

I just ordered a bottle of Hair So Real from Amazon for $17.98 (tax included) for 28 grams.
    I bought this because I've read some articles and seen a video on how it compares favorably with Toppik for much cheaper.
    From what I read, it seems like all these products are similar, and it just comes down to price. I'm guessing Hair So Real is a good example of what to expect. I'm eagerly waiting for it arrive (I wish they sold this in stores) so that I can make my decision of whether or not I will get a transplant. It all comes down to how effective it is; how easy and quick it is to apply; and how cheap it will be in the very long run.

Quote Originally Posted by joer1212 View Post
    Which product is best to give the illusion of a full head of hair?
    Dermmatch is the best. Dermmatch looks better and holds up better than everything else on the market.

If your thinning isn't too bad concealers are great, and I think Dermmatch is the best. You just have to find the right colour for you.

But remember, less is more! It goes for all concealers.

Dermmatch looks frighteningly expensive, and a lot of trouble to apply. If cost becomes an issue, I might as well bite the bullet and get the transplant.
    If a relatively inexpensive product such a Hair So Real can't do the job adequately, then it's time to go under the knife.

You say you have no problem with a 10k (cost) HT, but then will only try the cheapest concealer going, doesn't quite make sense to me.

Good thread starter though, i would like to try a concealer but (for a million reasons or another) haven't attempted it just yet, guess i'm waiting for the exact right moment, perhaps that's when i get a free concealer sample through the post etc etc, i don't know...

I'll bite the bullet though and chomp on that bullet, before the HT bullet that's for sure!!