+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Fact or fiction: fin is only effective for 5 to 6 years?

See subject line, basically.

I do not believe this is a fact. I am pretty sure this is fiction based on the length of long term studies on Finasteride, which have been about five years. This does not mean the medication will lose it's effectiveness at five years. It only means the duration of those studies were five years. Keep in mind that in these days of the internet, all it takes is for one person to misinterpret something and then propagate it online to create wide spread misinformation.

This is a 10 year study published in Dermatologic Therapy, Sep 2011. I think this is the longest study done on Finasteride for hairloss purposes.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...441.x/abstract

From the abstract
    "Its efficacy was not reduced as time goes on; in fact, a big proportion of subjects unchanged after 1 year, improved later on, maintaining a positive trend.....In 21% of cases, the treatment continuation beyond 5 years provided better results."

Spencer has been taking the drug for 17 yrs and had a friend over in one of his shows who had taken it for 14yrs, neither of them believe the drug lost efficacy.

Yeah the reason for the 5 year effectiveness story is because previously the longest study had been 5 years. Think about it - how could there be any definite idea of how long results lasted if it had never been scientifically evaluated past 5 years?

The latest 10 year study is not conclusive (a single study never is) but it backs up the anecdotal evidence we've been seeing that for some users Fin can continue to work almost indefinitely.

However not for every guy. For some guys, Fin definitely seems to lose its effectiveness over time. For some it's after 2 years, for some 5, for some more than 5.

All the studies I've EVER seen on Fin provide the same basic story though: around 90% of men either maintain or regrow hair after 5 years. This 10 year study suggest in most cases we can extend that out to 10 and then probably indefinitely.

It's a wonder drug for stopping further hair loss. It's just a shame its effects are systemic. I don't get any sexual sides (after nearly 4 years now) but I still don't like having to take it. I am hanging out for CB-03-01 - applied once or twice a week and no systemic effects.

I read ************ and Bellmondo and KnowHair have both maintained for 13+ years on fin.

The latter story gives me hope as the guy was thinning at the crown and hairline at 21. Fin filled in the crown and regrew a NW1 which has maintained perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by stratofortress View Post
    I read ************ and Bellmondo and KnowHair have both maintained for 13+ years on fin.

The latter story gives me hope as the guy was thinning at the crown and hairline at 21. Fin filled in the crown and regrew a NW1 which has maintained perfectly.
    Lucky guy. I wish I'd got onto it earlier. It's great for stopping further loss but unless you start around the age of 21 your chances of actually growing back much hair are limited, except possibly in the crown.

CB isn't likely to help much with regrowth either. If even castration doesn't reverse MPB, the only hope is a growth stimulant drug or hair multiplication like Histogen etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pate View Post
    It's a wonder drug for stopping further hair loss. It's just a shame its effects are systemic. I don't get any sexual sides (after nearly 4 years now) but I still don't like having to take it. I am hanging out for CB-03-01 - applied once or twice a week and no systemic effects.
    Same here - fin hasn't affected my libido or anything, but ideally I wouldn't being taking an internal treatment like this, yet fin is all there is that works, short of dut. How CB is described as working, topical, doesn't need daily application, blocks androgen receptors, sounds ideal. Just a shame we'll have to wait until 2016 or thereabouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Keep in mind that in these days of the internet, all it takes is for one person to misinterpret something and then propagate it online to create wide spread misinformation.
    I... know what you mean. I'm thinking of cutting down my forum-going to be honest; there's some good information online, but too much disinformation, too much noise, whether it's the nutters claiming that food supplements are as good as meds, or just meds users who (whilst often well-meaning) propagate disinformation about how the meds work. It's... depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_ View Post
    I... know what you mean. I'm thinking of cutting down my forum-going to be honest; there's some good information online, but too much disinformation, too much noise, whether it's the nutters claiming that food supplements are as good as meds, or just meds users who (whilst often well-meaning) propagate disinformation about how the meds work. It's... depressing.
    I see you went to the same conclusion. LOL I have been on 2-5% minoxidil for 15 1/2 years and have comfortably maintained my Norwood 2 stage, and I personally met a guy who has maintained his hair on 2% minoxidil since early 90's. Yet after visiting internet forums and reading all those frustrated and embittered posts I became quite anxious and paranoid, because I am basically being told that I should have been bald 10 years ago.

I see that people shouldn't confuse internet experiences with the experiences of the average user. As the long-term studies show, those frustrated guys yelling and crying on internet forums represent only a small minority of users, in which medications stopped working very quickly.