+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default For anybody who has quit taking propecia for several years, did side effects go away?

For anybody who has taken propecia for at least 5 years and noticed some side effects and then who have since quit for taking it for at least 2 to 3 years (yeah, probably very few people who meet this criteria), did the side effects go away?

kramer -

I took for 13 (almost 14) years. I had NO side-effects whatsoever the ENTIRE time I took the drug. Sex on an almost daily basis with not so much as a hiccup.

I quit 23 weeks ago. The first 4 weeks were perfect - morning erections returned (I didn't consider not having them anything bad) and I was doing just fine. About 5 to 6 weeks though, I began having problems and they have worsened. I am extremely desperate at this point to decide whether to go BACK on the medicine to save my sexual health!!!! I could care less about my hair anymore (believe me - you will give two sh*ts about your hair if your most prized possession stops calling for duty!!).

By the way - I asked the exact same question you are asking now when I quit. I got a couple of responses - there was one person who had taken for over a decade and returned to normal so it is possible that things will be OK. But just speaking from MY experience, I don't think I would stop cold-turkey (if at all) if I was in your position until we find out more what happens to the body when DHT is reintroduced in the body so suddenly after being suppressed for many years.

Man in 13 years its just getting older that your sexual stuff stops being the same.

It strange that propecia helped your sex?

Confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by blakes33 View Post
    kramer -

I took for 13 (almost 14) years. I had NO side-effects whatsoever the ENTIRE time I took the drug. Sex on an almost daily basis with not so much as a hiccup.

I quit 23 weeks ago. The first 4 weeks were perfect - morning erections returned (I didn't consider not having them anything bad) and I was doing just fine. About 5 to 6 weeks though, I began having problems and they have worsened. I am extremely desperate at this point to decide whether to go BACK on the medicine to save my sexual health!!!! I could care less about my hair anymore (believe me - you will give two sh*ts about your hair if your most prized possession stops calling for duty!!).

By the way - I asked the exact same question you are asking now when I quit. I got a couple of responses - there was one person who had taken for over a decade and returned to normal so it is possible that things will be OK. But just speaking from MY experience, I don't think I would stop cold-turkey (if at all) if I was in your position until we find out more what happens to the body when DHT is reintroduced in the body so suddenly after being suppressed for many years.
    This is unfortunate. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by blakes33 View Post
    kramer -

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by bob13 View Post
    Man in 13 years its just getting older that your sexual stuff stops being the same.
    True. I have taken Fin for 10 years and started having sex drive issues and ED.

Quote Originally Posted by bob13 View Post
    It strange that propecia helped your sex?

Confusing.
    This is not surprising because by blocking DHT, the body would have more free T. I heard many ppl saying that their sex drive was higher after taking Fin. I also had this effect.

In conclusion, Fin changes our hormones balance.

Quote Originally Posted by fab View Post
    True. I have taken Fin for 10 years and started having sex drive issues and ED.

This is not surprising because by blocking DHT, the body would have more free T. I heard many ppl saying that their sex drive was higher after taking Fin. I also had this effect.

In conclusion, Fin changes our hormones balance.
    Are you off it now? Or still taking?

I'm, tapering it off.. taking half a day (0.5mg), after while will take every other day, and stop taking it after 3 months.

To make sure Fin was the cause, this is what i did: I have slowly developed the sexual side effects for several months and didn't know what was it, then 1 day i decided to quit Fin cold turkey, the side effects diminished, then I came back on Fin and after a couple of weeks, it came back again. So i figure Fin has deftly something to do with it. Now instead of quitting cold turkey, I'm tapering it off.

What makes me really annoyed is that I took for 10 years and no problem, so go figure.

I'm hopeful that after i quit, i will not have ED anymore. But some ppl have had problems worsened after quitting, the "post-Fin syndrome", so will see.

Quote Originally Posted by fab View Post
    I'm, tapering it off.. taking half a day (0.5mg), after while will take every other day, and stop taking it after 3 months.

To make sure Fin was the cause, this is what i did: I have slowly developed the sexual side effects for several months and didn't know what was it, then 1 day i decided to quit Fin cold turkey, the side effects diminished, then I came back on Fin and after a couple of weeks, it came back again. So i figure Fin has deftly something to do with it. Now instead of quitting cold turkey, I'm tapering it off.

What makes me really annoyed is that I took for 10 years and no problem, so go figure.

I'm hopeful that after i quit, i will not have ED anymore. But some ppl have had problems worsened after quitting, the "post-Fin syndrome", so will see.
    All you can do is remain optimistic. Resist having any expectations whatsoever, simply take things as they come. I wish you the best in recovering!

As an aside, interesting how people who've taken finasteride for 10 years+ without issue seem to be experiencing sides only after discontinuing its use.

I too would like to hear some ex-finasteride users who have managed to get their sexual health back.

Is it a matter of time or is there something I can do to help?