Histogen Update - Spencer Kobren Speaks With Dr. Craig L. Ziering - Page 104 - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 104 of 225 FirstFirst ... 4 54 94 102 103 104 105 106 114 154 204 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 2248

Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    So who in this thread is obsessed with the potential for a cure besides me? I'm 23, and I just recently noticed I was starting to get thin in my crown. I was shocked because I had never thought about hair loss and I just didn't think about it as something that happens to people in their early 20's. So I freaked out, but immediately got on Finasteride and Minoxidil after a quick visit to the dermatologist. ~2.5-3 months later... my hair has had very good results. It's gotten much thicker and I really can't see any thinning in my crown.

So now if this was 1992 I'd still consider myself screwed and just delaying the inevitable. However today, there's hope for potentially 'curing' baldness in the near future. I'd say (based on clinical trail results for finasteride and minox + my results so far + plan guesswork) I have anywhere from 5-7 maybe 8 years before the effects of my treatments start wearing off. Histogen has said it's product could be available as early as 2014 in certain countries (~2.5 years away). Aderans has also said 2014. Replicel, who knows but I can't image it being significantly longer.

Needless to say I'm white-nuckling it and just plain hoping these potential future treatments actually pan out.
    I think you'll make it to follicle escape velocity. You could well keep your hair. I'm not so confident of my own prospects (I'm not on fin). The treatments of the future will have to be able to give me some hair back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundam View Post
    I'm not really obsessed, I'm just intrigued by the possibility. It's one of the few fields of research that I have a personal interest in so it gets some extra attention during downtime. I still have a pretty full head of hair thanks to Propecia and Rogaine but I'm currently shaving it all off with a razor every few days and I kind of like it. My problem with it, and the reason I'm hoping for a cure, is because this look requires shaving essentially every day/every other day. I'd prefer just getting a haircut every 3 months like I used to. To some extent I'd also prefer to have the choice of going between shaved and long hair, rather than being forced into one for the rest of my life. I'm 23 now and my hope is that when I'm somewhere between 30-35 there'll be a solution for me. Although sooner works too. Since I started balding at 19 and looking my father's pattern I'm gonna be a Norwood 6 so hair transplants are out of the question due to limited donor.
    I'm facing a similar scenario. I'm 25 now and would be happy enough if these treatments came along by 33ish. It would be nice to get back a full head of hair before time catches up and the rest of the body goes to shit anyway and you wonder why you were ever bothered by hair loss in the first place. It's ****ing horrible losing your hair in your early 20s. It's certainly not average or normal (based on people I know anyway). Of course things could be a lot worse but I still feel a little bitter because I feel cheated a bit and it's not par for the course. Think it would be fair enough if the hair started the balding process at 35 like it did for my old man (ok well I haven't been cheated since it's in the genes but why so young?). Kind of seems fairer when you're approaching early-middle age and it's more in sync with the rest of the changes your body undergoes. I suppose it's just tough because it does feel like you've been robbed of some of your youth to an extent.

I think if I make it to 35-40 and there's no cure it won't really be an issue anymore. I'd be like sod it, bit late now. I know people will always care about their appearance no matter what age they are but I think not having hair at 35 or 40 has a lot less of an impact on your self image and on how others perceive you than if you were in your early 20s. It's about what's normal, for me at least. Kind of sucks when you're young and everyone else is rocking a full head of hair.

@Follicle Death Row
    Hey Follicle I think there are a few reasons why I going bald before the 35-40 time interval sucks more, although it is not a pleasant affliction at any age:

1. You are young so you are still in the hunting mode for young women since your testosterone level is higher, having hair increases the odds.

2. By the age of 35-40 I expected to be married with hopefully a good wife which wouldn't be bothered by my hair loss. In that case hair loss would be less of a nuisance. For the most part having hair is about getting chicks. I don't care much about what guys think of me if I am bald. No offense guys.

3. At the age of 23 when my hair started to thin, I was and I still am a student. I have no money for anything expect the basic needs in life that are provided by my parents. If I were at a later age I might even have money to try new treatments maybe even afford Rogaine foam on a regular basis.
    If a new treatment arrives I wouldn't have money for it.

Hair loss sucks at any age but especially at younger ages.
    However I still believe there are worse fates than hair loss.

Yes the biggest problem for me is accepting baldness at a young age. Still have some hair and almost hitting 30 but still. But maybe we should look at it, the way Spencer put it. "This is the best time ever to go bald". We might be saved in the near future guys.

Well, actually the best time ever to go bald would be when an effective hair loss treatment is already on the market because then you'd never have to worry about anything but the potential expenses.

The bitch about going bald now is the uncertainty. There is hope but there is no confirmation of it being justified. If Replicel or Histogen comes through in clinical trials and shows an ability to effectively cure our condition I won't really care if I have to wait till 2014-2016. There really won't be anybody in this world appreciating their hair as much as the formerly bald.

I completely understand but imagine going through this 20 years ago. This is truly the best time ever. Now we just have to hope it becomes the last time.

I think hair loss sucks no matter the age. I am 31 now and was lucky enough to spend my twenties with a full head of hair or at least what I thought was one. One may accept it easier later in life, but it still sucks balding in your thirties.

I was reading Histogen's hair growth patent online. Not certain if it was posted before, but here's the link:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2010/0034787.html

I totally agree guys, young and bald really sux..

When everyone you hang out with has a full head of hair you tend to think to yourself do these people even have problems worth mentioning...

An the media compounds the matter by damming the bald...

If you ask me having hair is about self-esteem... waking up in the morning and liking what you see an how you feel about yourself.. everything else is just secondary... if you have self-love, the rest will follow..

I just hope 5 years from now whether with/without hair i don't regret the amount of time hours/days/weeks/years that i've spent worrying about MPB..

Quote Originally Posted by Sogeking View Post
    @Follicle Death Row
    Hey Follicle I think there are a few reasons why I going bald before the 35-40 time interval sucks more, although it is not a pleasant affliction at any age:

1. You are young so you are still in the hunting mode for young women since your testosterone level is higher, having hair increases the odds.

2. By the age of 35-40 I expected to be married with hopefully a good wife which wouldn't be bothered by my hair loss. In that case hair loss would be less of a nuisance. For the most part having hair is about getting chicks. I don't care much about what guys think of me if I am bald. No offense guys.

3. At the age of 23 when my hair started to thin, I was and I still am a student. I have no money for anything expect the basic needs in life that are provided by my parents. If I were at a later age I might even have money to try new treatments maybe even afford Rogaine foam on a regular basis.
    If a new treatment arrives I wouldn't have money for it.

Hair loss sucks at any age but especially at younger ages.
    However I still believe there are worse fates than hair loss.
    I agree with all your points but also for me it's also a real personal thing where I look at myself and think **** what's happening to me. I'd like a full head of hair for all the reasons you mentioned but also it's a real self image thing for me too even if you disregard 1 and 2. I'd want to have a nice full head of hair while I'm young because well it just fits and would feel right. There's a real disconnect between what I see in the mirror, how it makes me feel about myself and how I think I should feel when I'm young. It's definitely an age thing. You think to yourself ****, I look like I'm turning into an old man here when I should be feeling young and vibrant. It's amazing, it's made me feel older and less energetic but I'm looking to begin exercising loads again to get the youthful energy and enthusiam back. Hell I'm only 25.

It's definitely a mental health thing and feeling comfortable in your own skin. Self image and just feeling good and content within yourself is very important. Good things may happen next year. Keep the faith.

Histogen is dead.
    They removed all the informations concerning their clinical trials on their website and they removed the informations about a potential release date.