+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Default One of the Originals

Around 1977 I had a maximum amount of HT work done by The Bosley Medical Group in Beverly Hills California. The result was unnatural looking. In the end I had a fuller looking head of hair, but my hair looked artificial. People always looked at my hairline and I had nightmarish scarring in the donor area. In 2003 I discovered that Dr. Cole was close by. Using BH, Dr. Cole and his team were able to erase the unnatural doll-hair look.

Soon, Dr. Cole will be grafting into the shotgun-scarred area on the back and sides of my head.

It's been a long time since I posted. A while back, there were continuous arguments in the forums about BH. Some even said it either wouldn't grow or it would eventually die out. I didn't experience either, but I agree it isn't as good as scalp hair related to density of growth. In the forums, there were also constant accusations leveled against satisfied patients of being a sales person for a particular doctor. In many cases, you will find people who are just very happy with the results a particular Dr. provided for them.

By 1980, I had optimal growth from the old-school plug method. I was told that the hair would grow for a lifetime because hair on the back and sides of the are genetically programmed that way. Everyone of course is different, but over 30 years I lost about 70% of the programmed-for-life hair moved from the back and sides of my head. I am probably an extreme case related to this loss of what's considered safe donor area hair.

This is why I highly recommend a conservative approach for young people considering hair restoration. If you don't look good with a shaved head, consider focusing on the frontal area and don't worry about the back. This will frame your face.

The problem I had with hair loss at an early age was, my life felt like it fast-forwarded 40 years into the future within a 5 year period. Things are different now regarding women's view of bald or balding men. For example, I have a friend who is a Norwood 6. He shaves his head. He's about 5'6, has a positive and confident personality. I have NEVER in my life met any man who is so popular with women. In one day he can meet women in public places that begin texting him, even hounding him to spend time with them.

Bottom line for you young guys... Realize, there are women who PREFER bald or balding men. If you decide to have HT work, go conservative realizing that the negatives of hair loss are mainly in your head.

So you lost 70% of the hair that is supposed to be genetically immune to DHT.....2020......greatjob!.....patientlywaiting.. ...25 going on 65....UK......you guys been barking this cant happen well it just did. Over a long period of time or a short you will lose transplanted hair! Its not genetic individual sensetivity its the tight galea aponeurotica!

Quote Originally Posted by beatinghairloss View Post
    So you lost 70% of the hair that is supposed to be genetically immune to DHT.....2020......greatjob!.....patientlywaiting.. ...25 going on 65....UK......you guys been barking this cant happen well it just did. Over a long period of time or a short you will lose transplanted hair! Its not genetic individual sensetivity its the tight galea aponeurotica!
    Hold on; did you ask him if he lost any hair in the donor area as well?
    Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions. Not to mention he had the transplant done with old techniques.

Maybe that hair was not resistant to DHT in the first place.

OP, could you have DUPA? Have you lost hair on your sides? How old were you when you had the transplant, and did you lose any hair in that donor region when you aged?

Quote Originally Posted by ThinningB420 View Post
    Hold on; did you ask him if he lost any hair in the donor area as well?
    Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions. Not to mention he had the transplant done with old techniques.

Maybe that hair was not resistant to DHT in the first place.

OP, could you have DUPA? Have you lost hair on your sides? How old were you when you had the transplant, and did you lose any hair in that donor region when you aged?

99% of hair loss is localized to the area covered by the Galea. Anybody who claims that to be coincidence and wrights it off as “individual genetic sensitivity” is uneducated on the subject and worse unpractical in thought. Hair loss all over the head in a thinning manner would be genetically sensitive, a horseshoe pattern is the result of pressure and an increasingly tight scalp. These guys swear that a hair that moves from the back or side to the top will never stop growing thats their entire argument and its based on no data what so ever. The OP just shows what I already know is people with hair transplants will one day lose that hair again if the problem of a tight scalp and high DHT is not corrected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gray378.png

Once again, you're jumping to conclusions without getting his full story. I want to know if the area he removed the hair from experienced balding as well. Wait until he answers before you go on one of your rants.

OP and any older hair transplant guys did you or did you not lose your transplanted hair? Squash these myths tell the truth.

Once again, you're jumping to conclusions without getting his full story. I want to know if the area he removed the hair from experienced balding as well. Wait until he answers before you go on one of your rants.
    "Rants"....those rants could save your bald head if you would listen to me. My hair looks fine I am only staying around here for you! Despite my frustration with you nothing would bring me more joy then to see the moment of clarity when you realize everything I have said is true. You can and will control your hair loss with ERT....and I will teach you for free.

I've seen you post your old cliche nonsense on here before. You're using outdated science. The problem is you're looking at symptoms common to bald men and not mistaking them for causes. I don't need your "science". I'm fine with going bald. I'd just prefer to maintain my hair for a few years. Your advice won't help me. Continue to be frustrated and waste your time. Next you're going to tell me animal urine will cure my baldness if I rub it on my head.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Hey guys:
    I didn't mean to start a war.

One thing I have learned about hair loss is, everyone's case is different. No doubt the unrefined early methods of transplantation are partly to blame for my thinning hair. IF I had never had any work done, I believe my donor area would have thinned by about 50% at age 60. When I was in my 20's, I had an exceptionally dense donor area. If I didn't have the shotgun scars, my donor area at age 60, wouldn't appear thin. I just had exceptionally dense donor hair in my 20's on that back and sides of my head. Also, HT doctors have noticed that the large 4mm grafts done in the 70's have a tendency to shrink with age and choke out what was once an area of dense hair.

So you guys today are in a much better position to have a better, more natural, lasting result than I was in the late 70's. I just recommend you go conservative. Avoid the temptation for a low hairline. The best teenage-like hair result will nearly always be achieved on a person with a family history of frontal hair loss only. If your genetics are moving you toward a Norwood 6, I suggest you be realistic and focus on the frontal area so your face will be framed.

BTW It wasn't until a few years after my hair started growing in the late 70's that Rogaine was introduced. I don't use anything now in 2012. I wonder if Rogaine ONLY swells the existing hair making for a denser overall look? Everyone's different. Rogaine seemed to help me a little, but not sure how other than a subtle thicker appearance.

I've seen you post your old cliche nonsense on here before. You're using outdated science. The problem is you're looking at symptoms common to bald men and not mistaking them for causes. I don't need your "science". I'm fine with going bald. I'd just prefer to maintain my hair for a few years. Your advice won't help me. Continue to be frustrated and waste your time. Next you're going to tell me animal urine will cure my baldness if I rub it on my head.

Outdated science? Not even. In fact the science I use is new and groundbreaking your just so stuck in your ways you wont even read it. The day this is excepted I wont no whether to laugh or pitty your bald heads, maybe I will do a little of both. There was a time that If I told you the world was a sphere you would have called me crazy. History is full of this situation repeated. I tell you something new and groundbreaking the common beliefs dont quite fit and the status quo goes ape shit.