Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimbob1966
    • Jan 2012

ok so it's day 10 post op, I think i've just made a huge mistake

my hair was wet, and i was fed up of getting strange looks at work, so i gently pulled some of the scabs off, they were half hanging off, so i pulled them off, hairs came with them, some with dried up blood on the end and some without. Now the majority of scabs are off on one side and my scalp looks pretty bare, and just pink.

Have the grafts come out? is it normal for hairs to fall out on day 10?

I've attached some pics.
    Attached Files

Comment

• sausage
      • Jan 2012

Yes as far as I am aware it is common for hairs to come out after 10 days, just try to cover it up best you can so you don't get strange looks, take tomorrow off work if you need to.

Give it 5 months and see whats happens then.

Comment

• Tracy C
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by jimbob1966
        Have the grafts come out? is it normal for hairs to fall out on day 10?
        If it has been at least ten days, the grafts should be in there permanently. It is O.K. to gently remove the scabs and some hair may come out with them. Try not to worry. I went through the same thing and it was O.K..

Comment

• gillenator
          • Dec 2008

What everyone is referring to here are not scabs necessarily, they are crusts and need to be removed at this point in time post-op. The only exception to this would soneone who is healing much slower, and rare.

Crusts are indeed dead graft tissue above the surface of the scalp. They dry out from the air and yes some of them can also be part scabs from the recipient incisions.

If the crusts are removed too early, there can be some mild surface bleeding at the site(s). Generally speaking, after 72 hours post-op, for most patients, the grafts are seated and pretty secure.

At this point the crusts are of no value and can potentially irritate the scalp if not removed. Many HT docs will advise their patients to be a little more aggressive in removing these crusts once enough time post-op has passed.

The crusts that come off with the hair stubble indicates that the transplanted follicle went dormant and shed the hair stubble with the crust. If only the crust comes off without the hair stubble, that follicle no doubt remained in anagen (growth phase) and will continue to grow until it's time to rest arrives.

The best is yet to come, REGROWTH! Best wishes to you!
          "Gillenator"
          Independent Patient Advocate
          more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Comment

• jimbob1966
            • Jan 2012

can't wait

Comment

• Tracy C
              • Sep 2011

The waiting is the hardest part.

Comment

• jimbob1966
                • Jan 2012

Day 17 post op, It looks pretty silly at the moment, it looks asif I have 2 hairlines, the transplanted hair has started to thin out abit now, there is still a bit of redness in the scalp.

The donor area is thinner than i expected also.
                Attached Files

Comment

• jimbob1966
                  • Jan 2012

just above my ears i was a little thin anyway for some reason and with more follicles gone it looks worse, but i rarely have my hair this short normally so i hope I'll be able to style it to have better coverage when it's longer.

P.S - how can I remove a picture from this site?
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Tracy C
                    • Sep 2011

Hi jimbob1966,

It looks good. The transplanted hair will start shedding out soon. Don't worry. It will grow back.

Comment

• sausage
                      • Jan 2012

It does look a bit silly, Is that grade 3 or 4? maybe try cutting it to grade 1 or 2 and I expect it will blend in more.

Comment

• Tracy C
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by sausage
                        maybe try cutting it to grade 1 or 2 and I expect it will blend in more.
                        Trust me, it is going to shed out soon so it won't really matter much.

Comment

• sausage
                          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Tracy C
                          Trust me, it is going to shed out soon so it won't really matter much.
                          I could not go to work like that even if I knew it was going to shed in 2 days time. I would shave it real short. Just my thoughts.

Up to him.

Comment

• jimbob1966
                            • Jan 2012

In hindsight I would of shaved it short like you said, but pretty much everyone has seen me now, and I want to grow my natural hair back asap... alot of people must think wow you paid all that money for that, but they don't understand the process of growth etc.

Comment

• jimbob1966
                              • Jan 2012

Almost 5 weeks after op there's still a few hairs that haven't fallen out... not sure if there growing or not... and scalp is still a bit pink.

I've been getting tingling sensations near to where the transplant was done, I guess i'm due for some shock loss... although I haven't noticed an increase in hair loss as of yet.

I've got a few bumps, but i understand that's normal...

So do you think the transplanted hairs will shed or are they going to continue growing?

Realistically am I looking at mid April before seeing any new growth?
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Tracy C
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by jimbob1966
                                I guess i'm due for some shock loss... although I haven't noticed an increase in hair loss as of yet.
                                I'm not sure if you know what shock loss is. Shock loss does not always happen and I am pretty sure that if it were going to happen it would have happened by now. Since your grafts were planted in areas void of hair, you are not likely to have shock loss anyways.

Comment

Working...