+ Reply to Thread

Default Nizoral and Minoxidil as a preventative measure

Hi everyone.

Last year I noticed that parts of my hair became thinner, which I suspect might be the beginning of a slowly receding hairline, like my father has.

I started using Minoxidil in August (about 5 months ago), and I believe I am seeing some improvement, though it is hard to say as I didn't take any proper photos I can compare with. At least it hasn't gotten any worse!

As a preventative measure I am considering using Nizoral shampoo in addition to Minoxidil, as I keep reading that this shampoo is considered to be something that actually works. From what I understand it is quite common to combine Minoxidil and Nizoral (and Propecia, but there is no way I'm going near that).

Does anyone have any experience with Nizoral? Does anyone have any experience with combining Nizoral and Minoxidil? Please share your experience; I would be very interested in reading it!

Thanks.

I'm on the two as well. Coming up on a year in March. Hard to tell if it's work though I suspect I'm still losing some hair but now at a slower rate.

Quote Originally Posted by TheUltimatePoet View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with Nizoral? Does anyone have any experience with combining Nizoral and Minoxidil? Please share your experience; I would be very interested in reading it!
    Many of us use Minoxidil and Nizoral together. It is very common.

As a preventative measure I am considering using Nizoral shampoo in addition to Minoxidil, as I keep reading that this shampoo is considered to be something that actually works.
    Nizoral is a great medicated shampoo that helps a lot of people. It is a good adjunct treatment but it is not a good stand alone treatment for males. It might be a reasonably mild stand alone treatment for females but not for males. Males have significantly more DHT than females. The active ingredient in Nizoral (Ketoconazole) is a mild anti-androgen that may be able to block DHT at the scalp.

You need to make sure not to over use Nizoral. Over using Nizoral can dry out your hair and scalp and can make your hair loss worsen. So don't over use it. If you choose to use the non-prescription strength (Nizoral A-D), you can use it up to twice per week. If you choose to use the prescription strength Nizoral, only use that once per week.

You need to understand that neither Minoxidil alone or Minoxidil combined with Nizoral will be as effective at preventing hereditary hair loss as Finasteride - because neither does anything to treat the cause of hereditary hair loss. Treating the cause of hereditary hair loss itself is the most important thing. Minoxidil may be able to buy you some time with your hair but if you are not willing or able to take anything to treat the cause, you need to learn how to come to terms with accepting that you are going to lose your hair.

Thank you for your comments!

I will probably get some Nizoral and use it, and I'll let you know if I notice any difference.

As I said in my first post, Propecia/Finasteride is completely out of the question. I would rather try to slow down the process and wait for some of the very promising future treatments I am sure will be available in 5-10 years.

Thanks again.

Nizoral is really helpful for most of us. So it's a great idea that you try and add it up to your "preventive" treatment.

But like what Tracy C said, be careful not to overuse it as it might cause more damage to your hair. I use Nizoral once to twice a week and use a little bit of conditioner just to avoid drying my hair since my hair is prone to being too dry.

I will probably get some Nizoral and use it
    yes, i certainly wouldn't get it for decorative purposes, its a fairly plain bottle.

Well, the bottle is a pretty shade of blue.