+ Reply to Thread

Default depressing, but its only going to get worse

so basically im 20 years old and have been losing my hair since i was 18, at first you don't really notice it was just a slight receding at the temples but by the time i was 19 the whole top had noticeable thinned.

when i turned 20 i decided that i had to do something because i know i would be angry if i went completely bald without even putting up a fight so i started taking propecia..been on it for about five or six months, havent really noticed an impact yet, after starting propecia i have found it hard to measure its success with me, sometimes it seems like my hair has slowed down in shedding, but i question that maybe im just being overly confident when i think that and on the other hand sometimes i think that i has continued to shed at the same rate but then i question if its just my anxiety talking when i think that...basically im a little unsure still.

my dad went chrome dome bald at 25-30ish and so it feels like i must be heading his way, if not faster. Most people at the moment dont notice my hair thining as i have become an expert in hiding it just with blowdrying and hair styling. I dont know whether that is a blessing or a curse that i can hide it soo well as i know that when the day comes when its impossible to hide anymore it will just cause more shock among my friends etc than it would if i had not hid the extent of my hair loss in the first place.

I must say that my choise in the last two months to use the products couvre and toppik has really been well worth it.. they are absolutely incredible in what they can do to cover up thinning i was pretty skeptical before i tried (although the rain is a worry when i have my couvre on lol)..in fact some of my friends actually started complementing my thick head of hair after i started putting couvre in lol (they really had nooooooOOOOOO idea) either way its been extremely flattering when they've thought that as im sure any guy whos lsoing his hair can imagine.

i know this is turning into a very long post, but i never talk to anyone about my hair loss because im a self conscious person naturally and find it very painful to confront and talk about openly because, to tell you the truth i think its one of the most depressing things that could happen to a young guy as unlike alot of other physical flaws people have its more than acceptable to put balding/bald people down for it? even your closest friends seem merciless with their jokes and are completely oblivious to the pain poking fun at a guys hair loss causes..seriously i would think twice before call someone overweight because it probably isnt pleasant for them to hear...and being fat IS SOMETHING YOU CAN CHANGE COMPLETELY??!!! . I would just like to know if there are others who find it as horrible as me becuase it seems like, even though obviously NO person wants to lose their hair at any point in their lives, but most guys i know or hear about losing their hair take it much better than me? for example i find myself embarrassed to go to the hair salon and dont want even them to see my thin hair? it seems irrational but i really can help it. it just doesnt seem normal for a guy my age to be nearly completely bald (im not completely bald but i suspect i will be at this rate within 1 or 2 years)

all that gets me through when i get down about my hair loss is the thought that everything will be fixed with a hair transplant and that if i really want to i could just save up for a few years and get one...when i think about that prospect i find myself just looking through the hasson and wong website galleries of former patients transpants (which are all suspiciously great results) does anyone know if hasson and wong are really that good or is it not quite what its cracked up to be??

Quote Originally Posted by jman91 View Post
    ...so i started taking propecia..been on it for about five or six months, havent really noticed an impact yet...

...basically im a little unsure still.
    It takes 12 full months before you will know if Propecia (or generic Finasteride) will arrest your hair loss. It takes longer before you will know if you will have any re-growth.

Propecia (or generic Finasteride) itself is not a growth stimulator. It is a growth "enabler". It treats the cause of hair loss in males, thus making it possible for hair that can grow back to grow back.

Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) is a growth stimulator but it does nothing to treat the cause of hair loss. It simply stimulates hair that can grow back to start growing back.

The laser comb is another kind of growth stimulator - but again, it does nothing to treat the cause of hair loss. What the laser comb does is it increases the diameter of hairs, including hairs that were stimulated to grow back from using Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil).

Do you see where I am going with this? When treating hair loss, it is often necessary to treat it from both the inside out and the outside in. You take a medicine to stop what is causing the hair loss (Finasteride) and you use another medicine to stimulate your hair to start growing again (Minoxidil). If you do not have bald patches that have been void of hair for a long time (at your age you probably don't), you may also benefit from using a laser comb.

...to tell you the truth i think its one of the most depressing things that could happen to a young guy...
    Whether a young guy or an older girl, it is right up there with the death of a very dear friend.

...it just doesnt seem normal for a guy my age to be nearly completely bald (im not completely bald but i suspect i will be at this rate within 1 or 2 years)
    Fortunately you are catching it early. Catching it early is key to arresting it and possibly reversing some of it. You would probably do well on the "Big 3" and low level laser therapy. The "Big 3" is Propecia (or generic Finasteride), Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) and Nizoral shampoo.

I would recommend using Rogaine foam in the mornings because it is stealthy and then use generic liquid Minoxidil in the evenings because it is less expensive.

Nizoral shampoo comes in two version here in the U.S.. A 2% version that requires a prescription from a doctor and a 1% version that does not require a prescription. If you choose to use the 1% Nizoral A-D version, you can use that once or twice per week in place of your regular shampoo - but not more often than that. If you choose to use the 2% version of Nizoral, only use that one once per week unless a doctor has specifically told you to use it more often than that. It is also very important to use a good quality moisturizing conditioner almost daily.

...all that gets me through when i get down about my hair loss is the thought that everything will be fixed with a hair transplant...
    Hair transplant surgery is not the majic bullet you are making it out to be here. If you respond well to treatment during the next two years, you may not even need a hair transplant anyways. Give treating it a reasonable chance. Two years from now you might feel differently about getting a hair transplant.

It is also very important to do your best to not worry and stress over this. Stress makes hair loss worse. Do the things you love to do - and know that your hair situation may not be as hopeless as you might think it is.

. I would just like to know if there are others who find it as horrible as me becuase it seems like, even though obviously NO person wants to lose their hair at any point in their lives, but most guys i know or hear about losing their hair take it much better than me? for example i find myself embarrassed to go to the hair salon and dont want even them to see my thin hair? it seems irrational but i really can help it. it just doesnt seem normal for a guy my age to be nearly completely bald (im not completely bald but i suspect i will be at this rate within 1 or 2 years)
    Hi Jman91..
    (English is not my native language.. so pls excuse me if you don't understand some of what I write)

I can understand your pain. I am 26 years old and I have been going through this for past two years. These 2 years have been the toughest years in my life. I see people with healthy head of hair and I ask "why me?".I am always afraid that the wind is going to blow in the wrong direction. I am picky about the seat I would sit in when I am on a bus. On the weekends when I dont' go to work , I keep looking at my hair in the mirror for 2 times every hour on an average. I haven't met any of my old friends in the past 3 years and never posted any photos online .. and all this time I knew I was being a wimp. I tried to toughen up but often relapse.I have been trying everything that is in my reach (finasteride,minox) though they are proving to be ineffective as of now. I live in India so I can't dream of a HT as a miracle cure either. I say all this to let you know you are not alone.

Sharing the problem with someone who understands it seemed to be only way that alleviated my pain.If there is one advice I can give u, it is to try to be less depressed about it. I hope that there will be help and wish all the very best for you in the new year..

19 here man. I feel you. This is a terribly hard time for me right now, and it shows..

it sucks man.

Scientists need to get their shit together and fix this male pattern baldness.

Thanks for your kind and helpful comments everyone, i think i am going to up my game and implement the big 3 as you say. One thing you could help me with though is what laser comb is best? (i live in the uk so one from a uk site would be preferable) im going to buy some minoxidil as well as thats fairly affordable.

The only home use laser device cleared by the FDA for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia is the Hairmax laser comb from Lexington International. All three models are available to U.K. customers. The U.K. equivilant of the FDA may have cleared other devices from other companies, but I do not know what they might be. Mine is the Hairmax laser comb. Since this one I have is the only one I have ever used, it is the only one I can comment on.

I feel you guys...although i might look happy all the time inside im devastated..never really expected hair loss, NEVER.

My grandphather's, both have/had hairline up to their eyebrows and theyre 80 now. I won't talk about my grandmothers, which is even worse....they had the john travolta hairline for reals...

My dad isn't bald just a norwood 2 at 50 something...my mother looks like chewbacca. None of my uncles are bald..just receding hairlines since theyre so old....but i have their hairlines now as such young age...

I remember when taking exams...my hair was falling on the exam paper like crazy lol. It made me even more nervous because that was the most difficult exam I took...why strike me now? Couldn't this shit wait 6 months till i get my masters lol !!!!

However we must also look the positive side guys...there's propecia and rogaine...given enough time one of these should work. I really doubt they do not work ...you must give it and time and use these treatments carefully.

Otherwise, study hard, save some money because the cure is coming. You should read the cutting edge technologies sub forum to see how/where they stand.

If none of the current treatments work for you, have in mind that the cure will be in your lifetime and its pretty close. Hang in there : ) .

However, the big three should work...hang in there and you will see results. You did not start too late, thats a good thing ; ) .

thnks buddy