+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

We can also add that moving water like a fresh water stream or a mountain spring is even healthier as the ions are negatively charged which are supposed to have health giving properties for the human body. I know now we are getting into the crazy talk. Like earthing.............walking barefoot to release positive ions from the body into the ground...............lol..............works the same way.

Okay let’s get back to something more sane like adding poison to the water.......... chlorine.............. but not so much that it kills you only enough to kill what’s in the water. Long term I think it should be okay.............at least we hope so.

If I had to pick something that in my opinion really increases skin cancer substantially it’s soaking in a heavily chlorinated bath...............your local swimming pool. I did jump into a swimming pool this summer while I was in Macedonia but this person’s pool was all salt water a much better approach.

I’m somewhat familiar with how public pools operate and more often than not the liquid chlorine is just dumped in until the water clears with not much thought about what the effects will be.

Always good to have information.

Walking on a beach barefoot with moving water being sprayed into the air feels good for a reason.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by topcat View Post
    If I had to pick something that in my opinion really increases skin cancer substantially it’s soaking in a heavily chlorinated bath...............your local swimming pool. I did jump into a swimming pool this summer while I was in Macedonia but this person’s pool was all salt water a much better approach.
    I have wondered that myself. I remember reading a while back that doctors are baffled that melanoma is appearing on areas of the body that don't get sun exposure. What's really bad are the high levels of chlorine in the standard public jacuzzi. Some have the odor of an open chlorine bottle from 40 feet.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

I have read that if you allow tap water to stand for at least 24 hours, the chlorine, ammonia, etc evaporates. Yet there are still other additives, and who knows what?

The natural filtration of ground water is one of the reasons why I drank artesian water for years.

And I do have a hot tub on my deck but rarely if ever use it. Friends and family love it but my wife and I never use it. And there are a whole array of chemicals that can be added to it however I just drain it every three months and add chlorine when needed.

Definitely going to install the filtration system.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    I have wondered that myself. I remember reading a while back that doctors are baffled that melanoma is appearing on areas of the body that don't get sun exposure.
    Clothes don't block all UV radiation. There is actually a UV protection rating for clothes called UPF, some clothes block very little and some block nearly all UV rays. Add that to the fact that many other things can cause DNA mutations in your skin cells and it really isn't that big of a mystery.

Before I entered the field of molecular biology I ignored most warnings about something causing cancer, now I look at it a little differently. Every cell in your body (there is about 60-90 trillion of them) is essentially x number of mutations (could be 1, could be 20 ect.) away from becoming cancerous and killing you. I honestly think it is amazing the incidence of cancer in the population isn't higher.

Read something about that with clothing, so anyone working outside would be wise to look into it. Better than having no protection at all.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

There is a lot of info about sun exposure in this thread, but no real recent discussion.

Anyway, I'm a bit angry with myself right now because I exposed myself to a bit unecessary amount of sun today.
    It has been three days since my HT and I was out for quite a long walk with a duration of about maybe 2,5 hours.
    I did not wear a cap because I didn't want to put any pressure on the grafts that could hurt them but I really felt I needed some air. (stupid of me)
    I tried mainly walking in the shade, but on the way back it got warmer and more sunny and much harder to avoid the sun. And even the shade was warm.

When I got home my scalp and face felt somewhat warm. Looking at the scalp I could see a very slight pink color at some parts of it. But it didn't really look sunburnt (red) in a real sence.

This was in London, by the way. 17 degrees celsius here today.
    I hope the effects of the sun here in April isn't as severe as in more southern countries?
    From now on I'm definitely gonna wear a cape ALL THE TIME outside.

However, do you think this may have already influenced the success rate of my transplanted grafts? :/
    I guess there isn't even a way to know??
    What is actually the most common patient caused reason that the grafts don't grow well?
    Is it caused by more mechanical reasons such as bumping your head against something or is it rather caused by things such as exposing the scalp to excessive sun post-op?

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by censur View Post
    There is a lot of info about sun exposure in this thread, but no real recent discussion.

Anyway, I'm a bit angry with myself right now because I exposed myself to a bit unecessary amount of sun today.
    It has been three days since my HT and I was out for quite a long walk with a duration of about maybe 2,5 hours.
    I did not wear a cap because I didn't want to put any pressure on the grafts that could hurt them but I really felt I needed some air. (stupid of me)
    I tried mainly walking in the shade, but on the way back it got warmer and more sunny and much harder to avoid the sun. And even the shade was warm.

When I got home my scalp and face felt somewhat warm. Looking at the scalp I could see a very slight pink color at some parts of it. But it didn't really look sunburnt (red) in a real sence.

This was in London, by the way. 17 degrees celsius here today.
    I hope the effects of the sun here in April isn't as severe as in more southern countries?
    From now on I'm definitely gonna wear a cape ALL THE TIME outside.

However, do you think this may have already influenced the success rate of my transplanted grafts? :/
    I guess there isn't even a way to know??
    What is actually the most common patient caused reason that the grafts don't grow well?
    Is it caused by more mechanical reasons such as bumping your head against something or is it rather caused by things such as exposing the scalp to excessive sun post-op?
    Our patients who have little hair on top usually don't go out in public with the red dots on top of their head for all to see. Everyone's different though. Was this a private walk and does existing hair cover your grafts at all? I doubt the rays were anything like the mid-summer sun in Arizona, US. Dr. Cole mentioned to me the other day that he knew of someone who got second degree burns (blisters) from sun exposure right after hair transplant surgery and nothing grew. Dr. Cole doesn't believe minor exposure to the sun will do significant harm, but you're right , you should have worn a cap. I doubt a little sun hurt your grafts though. Try not to stress over it.

forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    Our patients who have little hair on top usually don't go out in public with the red dots on top of their head for all to see. Everyone's different though. Was this a private walk and does existing hair cover your grafts at all? I doubt the rays were anything like the mid-summer sun in Arizona, US. Dr. Cole mentioned to me the other day that he knew of someone who got second degree burns (blisters) from sun exposure right after hair transplant surgery and nothing grew. Dr. Cole doesn't believe minor exposure to the sun will do significant harm, but you're right , you should have worn a cap. I doubt a little sun hurt your grafts though. Try not to stress over it.

forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Thank you for your reply!
    The very reason why I didn't wear a cap was because I was trying to avoid the cap damaging the grafts. But I guess the mechanical strain that a light cap would have put on the grafts would have been more mild than the sun exposure was?
    There you go for trying to be careful in the wrong way. :/

I was walking in a pretty private area where I likely wouldn't know anyone, which is why I didn't really care about exposing the scalp in public. I don't have any hair covering the grafted area, I have my hair at 1 mm at the moment.

Yeah, I realize that an actual burn would likely be potenially fatal for the grafts.
    I don't know if I actually got a burn though?
    I certainly didn't have any blisters from this, but perhaps a very slight pink coloring of the scalp. But almost not visible.

It would have been so nice if the grafts were a bit more tangible, so you could actually know right away if something has happened to them or not.
    I really sucks to wait like six months to know that. Or can you actually see that somehow in advance?

Regaring the weather at the time I would think it was about a grade 4 or 5 on the UV-index, which means moderate UV-rays.

censur,

Got your PM and sure I can to reply to your situation.

First of all, I do not believe from your own words that you damaged your grafts. Why do I have that opinion?

Because it does not sound like you experienced "sunburn", just some overexposure to the epidermis (outer layer) of your scalp. The transplanted follicles are seated below that layer into the dermis layer. The only thing that could be a potential concern was the duration of 2.5 hours exposure yet you stated that it was partially in the shade; also the UV index was not that high.

Trust me, you would know if you had any meaningful sunburn. It would hurt and your scalp would be very sensitive to the touch. It would be more red than pink.

I did this on my second procedure in 2001. I did not know any better at the time. I had the procedure in May of that year and was laying outside in the sun at the pool. Now, I did not have anything covering my scalp and I was out in bright of the day in the summer season. I only did this one day when the pool opened.

I was working inside the clinic back then and the next day the doctor saw the pinkness of my head and pulled me aside and informed me of not doing this "ever". I tan very quickly but that still does not matter.

I never experienced any sunburn but learned from this. Anyways, my grafts grew in just fine.

You may want to consider wearing a bandana next time when you are outside and also use sunblock before you put the bandana on.

Again, I think you will be just fine and wish you a great regrowth and yield..
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    censur,

Got your PM and sure I can to reply to your situation.

First of all, I do not believe from your own words that you damaged your grafts. Why do I have that opinion?

Because it does not sound like you experienced "sunburn", just some overexposure to the epidermis (outer layer) of your scalp. The transplanted follicles are seated below that layer into the dermis layer. The only thing that could be a potential concern was the duration of 2.5 hours exposure yet you stated that it was partially in the shade; also the UV index was not that high.

Trust me, you would know if you had any meaningful sunburn. It would hurt and your scalp would be very sensitive to the touch. It would be more red than pink.

I did this on my second procedure in 2001. I did not know any better at the time. I had the procedure in May of that year and was laying outside in the sun at the pool. Now, I did not have anything covering my scalp and I was out in bright of the day in the summer season. I only did this one day when the pool opened.

I was working inside the clinic back then and the next day the doctor saw the pinkness of my head and pulled me aside and informed me of not doing this "ever". I tan very quickly but that still does not matter.

I never experienced any sunburn but learned from this. Anyways, my grafts grew in just fine.

You may want to consider wearing a bandana next time when you are outside and also use sunblock before you put the bandana on.

Again, I think you will be just fine and wish you a great regrowth and yield..
    Thank you for your great help.

Anyway, now almost three weeks have passed since my treatment.
    My scalp in the recipient area is still quite red and also has some pimples.

I find this a little bit strange because after my other HT the redness was completely gone within two weeks.

I can't help to wonder if this has anything to do with the sun exposure that I mentioned ealier. What do u guys think?
    During the evening the day when I got the sun expoure, like I said before, the entire scalp had a very slight pink color. But of course, the actual recipient area wasn't just pink at the time, it was red. But then it was only three days after the HT so that area was pretty red even before the sun exposure as a result of the treatment itself.
    That makes it hard for me to know if the sun made it even MORE red.

Is there anything I can do about the redness?
    Do you think it would be pretty safe to try to cover it up temporarily during the daytime with dermatch now three weeks after surgery?