+ Reply to Thread

Default TeeJay's Hair Compliment - Jan 13, 2009

Jan 13, 2009 - Let's mark this date in history!

WOOHOO! Sometimes life throws a sweet little moment your way, and today was one of those days. For anyone that doesn't know me, here's a brief recap: (1) hair transplant of 800 grafts by Bosley in year 2000 --- the results sucked (2) found The Bald Truth in Feb 2008, and have been a fan ever since, continually educating myself (3) had a 2nd hair transplant of 1600 grafts by Doctor McAndrews of the IAHRS in Feb 2008, and the results have been EXCELLENT, as I am now almost 1 year post-op and (4) been on Propecia for a year.

Before finding The Bald Truth and Doctor McAndrews, I fielded my share of balding "jokes" --- hearing comments like "you need plugs" and "you better start wearing a hat to work" and "so when did you get this done?" (referring to my 1st Bosley hair transplant -- it was noticeable!!).

Well, today, things changed!

I went to the dentist for a regular teeth cleaning, and I'm always self-conscious in the dental chair because the hygienist has to get so close to my face/head to do a proper cleaning. The closer she gets, the more self-conscious I become, because she is close to my scalp and hair. While she was cleaning, we were engaged in a friendly conversation (as much as I could anyway, with her dental instruments in my mouth), and, almost out of no where, she pulled her instruments away, pulled her head back very slightly, and said: "I like the waves in your hair."

WOW! It was almost surreal. I haven't heard anything like this since high school, and I'm 35. Doctor McAndrews has helped recreate my natural waves! Nothing happened beyond this; we just moved on in our conversation and I played it off. But my feet were definitely tap dancing in my shoes. In addition to this, she was ALL SMILES today, more so than usual, as I have seen her numerous times before. Maybe she liked my attire, or maybe my cologne smelled nice, but screw those explanations, I'm gonna say it was the hair!

Thought my brethren might enjoy this story! I know I did.

All the best,

TeeJay

Fantastic story, major congrats on the hair victory! Been away for awhile dealing with life so I haven't had much time to come on here lately, wow I've missed so much there is so much catching up I have to do.

Arrow Dental Chairs and Dermmatch Don't Mix

Quote Originally Posted by TeeJay73 View Post
    Jan 13, 2009 - Let's mark this date in history!

WOOHOO! Sometimes life throws a sweet little moment your way, and today was one of those days. For anyone that doesn't know me, here's a brief recap: (1) hair transplant of 800 grafts by Bosley in year 2000 --- the results sucked (2) found The Bald Truth in Feb 2008, and have been a fan ever since, continually educating myself (3) had a 2nd hair transplant of 1600 grafts by Doctor McAndrews of the IAHRS in Feb 2008, and the results have been EXCELLENT, as I am now almost 1 year post-op and (4) been on Propecia for a year.

Before finding The Bald Truth and Doctor McAndrews, I fielded my share of balding "jokes" --- hearing comments like "you need plugs" and "you better start wearing a hat to work" and "so when did you get this done?" (referring to my 1st Bosley hair transplant -- it was noticeable!!).

Well, today, things changed!

I went to the dentist for a regular teeth cleaning, and I'm always self-conscious in the dental chair because the hygienist has to get so close to my face/head to do a proper cleaning. The closer she gets, the more self-conscious I become, because she is close to my scalp and hair. While she was cleaning, we were engaged in a friendly conversation (as much as I could anyway, with her dental instruments in my mouth), and, almost out of no where, she pulled her instruments away, pulled her head back very slightly, and said: "I like the waves in your hair."

WOW! It was almost surreal. I haven't heard anything like this since high school, and I'm 35. Doctor McAndrews has helped recreate my natural waves! Nothing happened beyond this; we just moved on in our conversation and I played it off. But my feet were definitely tap dancing in my shoes. In addition to this, she was ALL SMILES today, more so than usual, as I have seen her numerous times before. Maybe she liked my attire, or maybe my cologne smelled nice, but screw those explanations, I'm gonna say it was the hair!

Thought my brethren might enjoy this story! I know I did.

All the best,

TeeJay
    Dude, I am all too familiar with "dental chair anxiety." I've left my share of dermmatch smudges on dental chair bolsters over the years.

Glad to hear about the complement! You deserve it!
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

hey teejay,

it sounds like that hygienist chick was really into you--she was definitely giving you IOIs. you should have tried to get her number. i bet she would have given it to you. the pick up gurus say always escalate--especially when you get a girl that seems to be intetrested in you. so what did this chick look like anyway?

Skeptic1st

Default Hi Teejay73, question here

I was reading your post and I see that you promote propecia quite a bit.Your transplant in Feb 08... Im just curious why you decided to continue doing propecia?Are you planning any additional transplants in the future?Do you know others who stay on the propecia along with their tranplants?I am scheduled for my very first session in only about 5 hours with a Dr. here in NJ and Im still learning all the information I can.I never tried any other oral treatments and Im hoping I never need to really partly because of the cost.At 37,Im thinning and receding badly and its my understanding that I will need AT LEAST two sessions.Thanks for your feedback,I will let you know my results.
    Dale

Great story Teejay,that must have given you such a confidence boost.

Thanks for sharing it.

bm.

Hey Dave, what's up man? The hygienist chick was kinda cute -- brown hair and eyes, very bubbly personality, intelligent, and always smiling. But she kept mentioning her husband and daughter, so she may have just been harmlessly flirting. Plus, whenever a chick makes an advance towards me or shows an interest, I crumble. I haven't a clue as to how to sustain a chick's interest. My game is off, way off! I don't know how to escalate. Part of my problem must be the fact that I'm so analytical, and can't turn it off. And chicks can't be analyzed -- they're all emotions, which completely defy analytics (and logic!). :-)

Hey Skeptic1st, how did your hair transplant go? Congratulations man, you're on your way to lookin' good! I read another post of yours, and I know you hair transplant was performed by an IAHRS doctor. So, you have an AWESOME, if not bullet proof, chance of realizing great results. I do plan to have a 2nd procedure, this year. I am interested in more density (aren't we all? :-)). As far as Propecia is concerned, based on what I have learned since becoming a fan of The Bald Truth and my doctor (Doctor McAndrews), I believe that hair transplant surgery and Propecia are entirely separate issues to consider. A hair transplant does not make it unnecessary (or unrecommended) to take Propecia. A hair transplant only "fills in" balding areas -- it does not preserve existing native hair. Propecia preserves existing native hair (or stops its propensity to fall out). Propecia also thickens existing hair, and may even stimulate regrowth of hair, too. So, I continue to take Propecia to preserve/thicken my native hair, so that it can enrich and add fullness to my transplanted hair. I had similar questions as you, back when I had my 1st hair transplant by Bosley (not a good experience). I was uneducated and I didn't take Propecia. But, as I continued to lose hair at a fast rate, the results of the hair transplant did nothing more than offset a small portion of the vast amount of hair I was losing. There is also some truthful argument that even donor hair, in some cases and in some men at later stages of their lives, may be susceptible to thinning from the effects of DHT. That means the transplanted hair is susceptible. Propecia can help thwart this. So, I'm a huge proponent of Propecia. My doctor recommends it, even after he performed my hair transplant. And there's no doubt it has helped me. I think you will find that the general consensus is to continue to take Propecia even AFTER a hair transplant. I know Spencer believes in this, and so do some other very credible sources, such as Jotronic from Hasson & Wong. Talk to your doctor about it! :-)

Hey Bigmac, thanks for the kind words man! It definitely was a confidence boost. A nice thing to hear. And, I don't have the mane of a god. Not even close. But my hair transplant has been coming along nicely, as I am now almost 1 year post-op. I only had 1,600 grafts, but I believe I had an excellent yield. I'm very happy with the approach that Doctor McAndrews takes -- conservative, but superior results. I've checked out your blog -- how are things with you man? How is head feeling/looking? Excited about the results that are coming your way? :-)

Skeptic1st

Default Hey TeeJay

Thanks for the reply,I am now my first day post op and Im excited to say that everything went very well. It took about 5 hours for my 1800 grafts and two or three of those hours, I was passed out.I didnt feel even a slight bit of pain the whole time and right now,Ive only developed a mild headache,but of course im following all the post op advice and taking my medicine.I know that the hardest part is still a"head" of me and I feel prepared for the worst in appearance waiting for the new hair.I might look into doing the propecia thing since you explained it like you did,but besides the cost being a factor(I understand the monthly cost has risen signifigantly in the last short while),I also hate the idea of of being on it for a lifetime.Do you think its possible that once someone is on a year by year plan of propecia that if you decide to quit at some time(lets say 5 years or more),you would have a greater chance of quick hair loss in a short time as opposed to a gradual more natural hair loss during those five or ten years.This im saying along with the HT youve already had and the availability of new sessions any time.As far what you said about the new transplants being attacked by DHT and at some point in your life becoming weak and possible falling,I would certainly appreciate hearing from others who can back this up because that is unbielievable new information to me.All I have heard in the last year of my own researching is one word.."permanant". Thanks again for your reply and support,Im going to add my before and after photos on here in the next day or two and than new photos showing monthly progress.
    Dale

Thanks Teejay.
    I`m looking forward to seeing more of Doctor McAndrews work.

As for me i`m doing great and just posted some updates of my crown in my blog.I sent my pics to SMG so they could put them side by side.

Take care bm.