+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Being Happy

Hybrid View

Default Being Happy

Just a little while ago, I wrote a post on here that I thought could help some people out. I remember it started with the assumption that you were balding. So, here's a quick question, are you still balding? Yes? ...f*ck, me too. Well hell, might as well write another post.

Balding, it won't kill you. It's way too nefarious for that. That would be too obvious a condition. A balding person might even get some sympathy, which would be much too sweet. So no, balding won't kill you, but it will still do something pretty bad: it will rob you of your happiness. And it does it pretty well. How many other forums have the admins step in to remind everyone not to commit suicide or suggest that others do so? Yeah, it gets that bad. I'M LOOKIN' AT YOU SCORPION.

So how can you be happier? The number one answer here would be to have hair, I guarantee it. Well, sorry, no one can give you your hair back, yet. But what you should understand is that there are pleeeenty of ways to be happier. Think about it like this. A non-balding person's list of things could improve their happiness happy would include mental things like cognitive reappraisal, behavioral things like enjoying a hobby, chemical things as simple as getting more sun, etc. A bald person's list of things to make them happier still has all those things. It just also has hair on it (unlike you or me, teehee).

In my post on how to be more attractive, I openly admitted that you probably still wouldn't end up as attractive as you would be with hair. The important part wasn't becoming as attractive as you were, but becoming as attractive as you can be now. That is exactly what I am proposing here! If you wound up on this forum in the first place, then not having hair bothers you. That is going to handicap your happiness, but trying to do the rest of the stuff on the "how to be happy list" will go a long way to making you as happy as you can be.

1. First off, remember that this is a mental game.
    Being happy is all in your head. In fact, all reality is only what you perceive it as. We're not in f*cking Philosophy 101, so don't try to read too deep in to that. All I'm saying is that the first step to being happier is wanting to be happier. Wallowing in sadness is unavoidable from time to time when you're balding, so when you need to do it, do it. Let out a good cry. Feel a little sorry for yourself. Because f*ck, no one else will, you might as well.

But when you're done, keep one thing in mind: ruminating all day on your baldness will give you about as much hair back as three applications a day of pure, 100% snake oil. You need to stop eventually. Basically, you need to think about something else. When you're trying to come out of those depths, it won't just happen. You have to claw your way out. A good way to start is to try to think about the good things in your life. And if there aren't any of those (you poor, poor man), then at least try to think of things you like. List all your favorite cars in your head or something. Or your favorite places. Your favorite people. Whatever it is, just think happy thoughts!

I can already hear some people saying, "How can I think happy thoughts when my life is so shitty?!" Well, that is a sad thought. True as it may be, quit f*cking thinking it.

2. For the times you just can't get your mind off things, you'll need something else to do it for you.
    Sometimes, when your down in those depths we talked about, trying to claw your way out, your bloodied fingernails lodged in the walls, your lungs exhausted, your brain near collapse, sometimes you just can't get out by thinking. On those occasions, you need to get out by doing. You need to have a hobby that you can turn to, for relaxation, for productivity, and at very least for distraction.

One bad thing about balding is that there are huge areas where it is much harder for us to find some positive reinforcement. By that I mean that it is much harder for something to work out and show us that we're not big, dumb losers. Not having that positivity is as close to being fatal as you can get, 'cause it kills you inside (as some of the more dramatic, though strangely truthful, posters here have put it). For that reason, you should pick a hobby that produces some sort of results. This can range from doing something that you will visibly improve at (like exercise or marksmanship) to actually producing something (like building...whatever it is that people build). If the thing you want to be costs money and you're thinking it's too expensive, well, stop. This is your happiness, man; it's f*cking priceless.

Oh, and remember to pat yourself on the back. Hell, when you're doing really well at whatever it is you choose to do, remember to show someone. If you start doing this thing every time balding bums you out, you should be doing it a hell of a lot. You should get damn good at it. Brag a little.

3. Chemical things!
    I'm gonna be honest right off the bat here: I don't actually know much about this. But let me explain what I mean. Happiness, in the end, is just chemicals. You think that hair makes you happy, but in reality, the only things that make you happy are serotonin and dopamine. Finding ways to get your body to release these things is like finding cheat codes to happiness. Again, I don't know much about this topic, so here are some articles to read:

In general:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_7236253_rele...naturally.html
    This article just basically talks about how to release dopamine. Can't get any more simple than that. Sweet happy cheat codes.

About exercise:
    http://www.clairedorotik.com/NLWC-EXERCISE_AND_MOOD.htm
    This talks more specifically about how exercise affects happiness chemicals.

About sunlight:
    http://www.viva-lite.us/blog/health-...losely-linked/
    Very interesting. If you didn't know, sunlight makes you happy. Also, don't worry about cancer, more people die of vitamin D deficiency related diseases than of skin cancer anyway. Just be responsible. Knowledge is power.

About...other things:
    http://healthland.time.com/2011/06/1...lth-long-term/
    Now, I've yet to try this, and I'm not sure if I can even legally recommend it. But I am gonna try this, and I pre-recommend it. 'Cause why the f*ck not? You're already depressed anyway, what could it hurt?

Well, those are the ones I've heard about. Has anyone else heard about any other ways to naturally increase those chemicals? I and everyone else here could probably benefit. I encourage you to share.

But all in all, it's important to remember that you can still be happy. Yeah, maybe you can't be as happy as you could with hair. I will even give in to the prevailing pessimism for a second and admit that I think you definitely won't be as happy as you would be with hair. But god damn it, there is still some happiness out there for us! Just try to get your head straight, start considering a rewarding hobby right now, and learn more about hacking into your brain and being happy, despite all your reasons not to be!

(WARNING: If as you were reading this, you thought, "This guy is just a naive dipsh*t, he doesn't understand, I can't be happy," then by shear merit of having that thought, you are right. You can't be happy if you don't want to be. Don't act like I don't know what you're going through. I'm right there too. You can do this, if you are willing to try. Corny ass warning over.)

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    I think the only way to be happier is to do drugs or drink alcohol. For real.
    Not gonna lie, from time to time getting a little crunk is the answer. Only answer? No. You crazy, man.

I think the only way to be happier is to do drugs or drink alcohol.
    You are seriously mentally ill. You are just not hooked up right.

Next time do your homework before flaming me.
    To be fair, she never disagreed with the idea that drugs can make you intensely happy for short periods of time. She said you were unhinged. So exactly what homework is she supposed to be doing? It's common knowledge that you're unhinged, man.

Now please, people, can we discuss ways to improve mood! And to give credit where credit is due, drugs are one way to do that. Some more temporary than others. I'm wondering, where are the people hear who have tried shrooms that can agree or disagree with the article on that I posted?

And anyone should feel free to discuss non-drug related ways to feel better. Contrary to Scorpion's typically pessimistic ranting, there are one or two other ways to improve mood than just abusing drugs and banging supermodels.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Jones View Post
    Now please, people, can we discuss ways to improve mood!
    The sunshine does it for me in such a big way. Especially if I can be out on my bicycle with my girlfriends or busking in front of a coffee shop. Exercise also helps my mood in a huge way.

Sometimes I like to just sit down with a big bed-wetter cup of Starbuck's cafe mocha and write down all the things that make me feel happy. When I do that, one thing will remind me of another - and another - and another...

Ah, another awesome post by Davey Jones. Keep it up man it put a smile on my face. As far as the negativity...it's everywhere on this forum; the easiest way to deal with it is not respond...

Running will work wonders for you. I actually get kinda of high afterwords..

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Jones View Post
    Just a little while ago, I wrote a post on here that I thought could help some people out. I remember it started with the assumption that you were balding. So, here's a quick question, are you still balding? Yes? ...f*ck, me too. Well hell, might as well write another post.

Balding, it won't kill you. It's way too nefarious for that. That would be too obvious a condition. A balding person might even get some sympathy, which would be much too sweet. So no, balding won't kill you, but it will still do something pretty bad: it will rob you of your happiness. And it does it pretty well. How many other forums have the admins step in to remind everyone not to commit suicide or suggest that others do so? Yeah, it gets that bad. I'M LOOKIN' AT YOU SCORPION.

So how can you be happier? The number one answer here would be to have hair, I guarantee it. Well, sorry, no one can give you your hair back, yet. But what you should understand is that there are pleeeenty of ways to be happier. Think about it like this. A non-balding person's list of things could improve their happiness happy would include mental things like cognitive reappraisal, behavioral things like enjoying a hobby, chemical things as simple as getting more sun, etc. A bald person's list of things to make them happier still has all those things. It just also has hair on it (unlike you or me, teehee).

In my post on how to be more attractive, I openly admitted that you probably still wouldn't end up as attractive as you would be with hair. The important part wasn't becoming as attractive as you were, but becoming as attractive as you can be now. That is exactly what I am proposing here! If you wound up on this forum in the first place, then not having hair bothers you. That is going to handicap your happiness, but trying to do the rest of the stuff on the "how to be happy list" will go a long way to making you as happy as you can be.

1. First off, remember that this is a mental game.
    Being happy is all in your head. In fact, all reality is only what you perceive it as. We're not in f*cking Philosophy 101, so don't try to read too deep in to that. All I'm saying is that the first step to being happier is wanting to be happier. Wallowing in sadness is unavoidable from time to time when you're balding, so when you need to do it, do it. Let out a good cry. Feel a little sorry for yourself. Because f*ck, no one else will, you might as well.

But when you're done, keep one thing in mind: ruminating all day on your baldness will give you about as much hair back as three applications a day of pure, 100% snake oil. You need to stop eventually. Basically, you need to think about something else. When you're trying to come out of those depths, it won't just happen. You have to claw your way out. A good way to start is to try to think about the good things in your life. And if there aren't any of those (you poor, poor man), then at least try to think of things you like. List all your favorite cars in your head or something. Or your favorite places. Your favorite people. Whatever it is, just think happy thoughts!

I can already hear some people saying, "How can I think happy thoughts when my life is so shitty?!" Well, that is a sad thought. True as it may be, quit f*cking thinking it.

2. For the times you just can't get your mind off things, you'll need something else to do it for you.
    Sometimes, when your down in those depths we talked about, trying to claw your way out, your bloodied fingernails lodged in the walls, your lungs exhausted, your brain near collapse, sometimes you just can't get out by thinking. On those occasions, you need to get out by doing. You need to have a hobby that you can turn to, for relaxation, for productivity, and at very least for distraction.

One bad thing about balding is that there are huge areas where it is much harder for us to find some positive reinforcement. By that I mean that it is much harder for something to work out and show us that we're not big, dumb losers. Not having that positivity is as close to being fatal as you can get, 'cause it kills you inside (as some of the more dramatic, though strangely truthful, posters here have put it). For that reason, you should pick a hobby that produces some sort of results. This can range from doing something that you will visibly improve at (like exercise or marksmanship) to actually producing something (like building...whatever it is that people build). If the thing you want to be costs money and you're thinking it's too expensive, well, stop. This is your happiness, man; it's f*cking priceless.

Oh, and remember to pat yourself on the back. Hell, when you're doing really well at whatever it is you choose to do, remember to show someone. If you start doing this thing every time balding bums you out, you should be doing it a hell of a lot. You should get damn good at it. Brag a little.

3. Chemical things!
    I'm gonna be honest right off the bat here: I don't actually know much about this. But let me explain what I mean. Happiness, in the end, is just chemicals. You think that hair makes you happy, but in reality, the only things that make you happy are serotonin and dopamine. Finding ways to get your body to release these things is like finding cheat codes to happiness. Again, I don't know much about this topic, so here are some articles to read:

In general:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_7236253_rele...naturally.html
    This article just basically talks about how to release dopamine. Can't get any more simple than that. Sweet happy cheat codes.

About exercise:
    http://www.clairedorotik.com/NLWC-EXERCISE_AND_MOOD.htm
    This talks more specifically about how exercise affects happiness chemicals.

About sunlight:
    http://www.viva-lite.us/blog/health-...losely-linked/
    Very interesting. If you didn't know, sunlight makes you happy. Also, don't worry about cancer, more people die of vitamin D deficiency related diseases than of skin cancer anyway. Just be responsible. Knowledge is power.

About...other things:
    http://healthland.time.com/2011/06/1...lth-long-term/
    Now, I've yet to try this, and I'm not sure if I can even legally recommend it. But I am gonna try this, and I pre-recommend it. 'Cause why the f*ck not? You're already depressed anyway, what could it hurt?

Well, those are the ones I've heard about. Has anyone else heard about any other ways to naturally increase those chemicals? I and everyone else here could probably benefit. I encourage you to share.

But all in all, it's important to remember that you can still be happy. Yeah, maybe you can't be as happy as you could with hair. I will even give in to the prevailing pessimism for a second and admit that I think you definitely won't be as happy as you would be with hair. But god damn it, there is still some happiness out there for us! Just try to get your head straight, start considering a rewarding hobby right now, and learn more about hacking into your brain and being happy, despite all your reasons not to be!

(WARNING: If as you were reading this, you thought, "This guy is just a naive dipsh*t, he doesn't understand, I can't be happy," then by shear merit of having that thought, you are right. You can't be happy if you don't want to be. Don't act like I don't know what you're going through. I'm right there too. You can do this, if you are willing to try. Corny ass warning over.)

I think the only way to be happier is to do drugs or drink alcohol. For real. If you can't get your hair back, the only way to stimulate the feeling of pleasure is via sex with supermodels (you ain't getting that because you are bald, but maybe you can pay them) or good drugs like cocaine.
    Hairloss affects us all very badly emotionally, but in your case I think you have severely been affected mentally and you need serious help. SEEK HELP NOW! We can't help you, go to your Doctor.

Yes, I'm already seeking help. I'm trying to set up my own successful business and company and become a millionaire so I can afford hair transplant and surgeries to improve my looks to the point where I'm satisfied.
    OMG u are loopy.

Inactive

Exclamation

Scorpion is a troll. Do not feed the trolls.