+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Did Transplant yesterday--Need answers please!!!

So I finally did it, had my transplant yesterday. You guys are the experts so PLEASE help me out here. Just a little info about me. I'm 29. I never have taken propecia, and will not be taking it. I do use Rogaine. And shampoo with nioxon.

I was not completely bald on the top before my surgery, I was a norwood 4. On the bright side, I was told by 2 doctors I have very healthy donor hair. The doc that did my transplant showed me on his hair-cam that a lot of my donor hair/grafts were in bunches of 3's, some even 4's, which he explained most people were in 1's and 2's. I did 3,000 grafts, and this was done yesterday morning.

So I have a few important questions to ask you guys. The 1st had to do with I'm scared to death to put that gauze of the areas that might be bleeding a little on my scalp. So my question is from these pictures:

1) Do I need to put that gauze over those 2 areas on the top of my head that look like the thickest amount of blood.

2) What will happen if I don't put the gauze over it? Can i cause the graft to come out?

3) I had my surgery Thursday at 8am. I got my bandages removed this morning (friday) around 11am. I was told to shower for the 1st time tomorrow, Saturday. Is this normal?

4) Lastly, unless I'm making a mistake, and im trying to be positive here, but I'm kinda disappointed at the lack of grafts he put in my crown. And i understand he was focusing my frontal area, but from what you guys see, shouldn't he have put a little more in the crown?

5) Lastly, and most importantly, does it look like he did a good job? Does it look like 3000? PS-If i remember correctly I took both those pics with Flash.

CAN'T WAIT FOR YOUR RESPONSES!! Thanks guys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ht11.JPG

Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	14895   Click image for larger version

Name:	ht22.JPG

Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	14896  

Guys just wanted to emphasize, those 2 main "blots" of blood that are most visible, should i press the gauze on it right now? Is it worth doing it now? Or just leave it alone until my shower tomorrow?

Anyone please??

Senior Member Still-Researching's Avatar

Who was your doctor?
    You should be in constant contact with your doc after a HT, especially if you are in doubt what to do - any good doctor will give you a post HT to do list for next 2 weeks. Reading your post - you seem to not have done any research - but this is still not too late.... you can still do right things now.

1) Do not take a normal shower earlier than 10 days post HT, the power of the shower can wash out your newly planted grafts , you can take a cup of water and slowly poor it over the recipient area

2) Leave your HT area open to breath whenever possible - do not wear a hat the first weeks if at all possible

3) No do not put back the gauze on those bleeding areas - give it air and hope that you did not loose the grafts there

4) Contact your doctor now to get a post HT "manual" before you do anything else

Not to ruin your day - but 3000 grafts planted in such a large area will not give you a good and very dense visible impact, as you are probably looking for. So it does not look like such a good job to be honest. Was this a FUE or FUT (strip scar) job?

3000 grafts can give you a very nice hairline and mid scalp or fully cover a crown but not both...

Also many people have 3s and 4 hair grafts in donor, but the actual density number of hairs per sqm is more important - at the end of the day the most important thing is the HT doc's technique which will make a huge difference on your result.

If you want to give something back to the forum - please give the name of the doc and how you found him?

Hope above helps you a bit. Good luck

To be honest, that doesn't look like 3000 grafts to me, but I don't know. But yeah, 3000 grafts won't give you good density for the whole head.

The doctor should've given you some instruction to follow after the surgery. I'm hoping you didn't just go to one of those mickey mouse ones.

Hey guys, thanks so much for your responses! He's actually a well known doctor, but I'd like to hold off and see the results before giving his name. My cousin went to him and he did a great job with him. Also, he gave me post-op instruction packet, his cell phone number, and has so far called me twice. And I have read it all, and believe me, I have been researching constantly for the past 3 years. But I guess its just different when you've actually gone ahead and done the transplant. That is why I'm so nervous and being so anal...because I still can't believe after years or readings posts and seeing pictures, that I finally did it.

So far I've been good as far as not touching or scratching my scalp. I'm sleeping on my side, kinda awkwardly, to make sure my pillow does not touch it. Today is the 1st day I will be showering and I'm terrified. He gave me a special shampoo, and like you said he told me not to go directly under the shower, but to use a cup or small bowl. I keep fearing im gonna mess something up and cause the grafts to come out. My cousin for example, didn't shower for ONE WEEK, despite doctors orders to shower 2 days after surgery. I was told to pat try gently with paper towel after my shower. Does this sound correct?

Sorry for asking so many questions. I have the doctors post-op instructional in front of me, i guess im just super nervous.

Senior Member Still-Researching's Avatar

Use the cup to poor water - do not shower yet. Also i just let my hair or scalp airdry the first two weeks. After like two weeks you can not hurt your graft unless you seriously bump your head into something.

Good luck and its fine to be nervous we were all that in the first week or two.. after that you just get tired of waiting for the growth to kick in :-)

Still surprised if a IAHRS doc would spread 3000 graft on such a large area - is your doc listed on the IAHRS?

Thanks again for the reply! I have attached 2 pre-surgery pics. I dont believe he is listed on IAHRS, but he is on the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery (ABHRS), not sure if that means anything. He's been doing transplants for over 20 years.

As you can see from these PRE-SURGERY pics, I'm not exactly sure why he shaved my top completely. Only reason i say so is because he didn't shave my cousins top completely, just a little on the front. My cousins loves his result, he also had 3000 grafts. Only difference between my cousin and I is he took propecia before the surgery, and for a little while after, and has now stopped completely. He stupidly does not use rogaine anymore which i dont understand.

I guess why I get so nervous is hearing all the different methods. I hear to towel dry, then I hear no only paper towel pat, then you say let it dry by air (which I honestly believe your method is the best 1). I hear sleep on your back, then no dont sleep on your back, sleep on your side.

I'm gonna shower in about an hour or so, please wish me luck!! Nervous as hell that bunch of grafts will come off, but im gonna try to stay positive. If you have any other feedbacks/tips, it means a lot to me, so please let me know, as im only on day 2 post surgery

Forgot to attach the pre-surgery pics, sorry, here they are.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pre1.JPG

Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	14904   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre2.JPG

Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	14905  

Most of the top hair transplant surgeons in the world are in the IAHRS, but that does not mean that your surgeon didn’t do a good job. It’s just a waiting game now so be positive and things should work out just fine. Please keep us posted.