Threaded View

Thumbs down Will your hair you shed while using Rogaine grow back?

About two and a half months ago, I (25 year old male) noticed I was slightly thinning out on the top of my head. I decided to try rogaine foam. I applied it to the front, mid and crown of my head. About a week or so later I noticed that I was really starting to thin out on the top of my head but mainly in the front. I got online, read alot of information about rogaine foam, and found about half and half of really good results or miserable results. Some people said that Rogaine was growing hairs back for them (never mentioning a shed of any sort), and some people were saying that Rogaine caused them to lose lots of hair that never came back for them. I quit using the Rogaine on the front and mid of my scalp after a week or so, but now I have a fear that I've permanently damaged the front of my hair, which doesn't make any sense to me since Rogaine is FDA approved. I couldn't see the FDA putting out a product that has the potential to permanently damage your hair after only using it for a week/two weeks. And I couldn't see how there wouldn't be a disclaimer in the Rogaine package that would say something along the lines of "Caution; if you start using this product there is a chance that you won't regrow the hair that Rogaine has caused you to shed." All I know is that I now have a lot worse hair than what I've ever had my entire life, and that it started when I started the Rogaine foam. I heard it can take at least three to four months before that hair that shed would start to grow again, but waiting it out is killing me. I've never had a problem with my hair my entire life, except I straightened it earlier this year (I normally have wavy hair), and could tell I had started to thin out a little. I took rogaine foam for about a week or so and it devestated my hairline. and I've been to a dermatologist who told me Rogaine wouldn't cause shedding. He basically called me a liar. But I have heard the same scenario with a number of people online. I just can't believe that if Rogaine has the potential to do that, that a bigger deal is not made of the possibility that can totally devesate your hairline. Anyone can buy Rogaine at Wal Mart! That's just crazy to me if it could cause you to shed hair that won't ever grow back. I've seen hair doctors online throw out "give rogaine a try!" like it's not that big of a deal. And I've seen numerous hair doctors online actually say it's worth trying on the hairline.